Technology Innovation Agency
3,9 out of 5 stars.

Technology Innovation Agency Employee Reviews

TIA supports innovation in SA, but its potential impact is stifled by bureaucratic processes, which radically slows decision making of potential investments.
Pros
Good colleagues
Cons
Slow decision making processes
Working at TIA can be stressful depending on the demands. We aim to achieve maximum performance and therefore push ourselves to meet KPIs. The workplace culture varies depending on the regional office.
It was highly cultured organisation and sometimes funny but I am happy I gained a lot of experience. The organisation was so professional and motivating.
Fraud and corruption at Board and Executive level. Company currently run by an entitled, incompetent, unethical and arrogant interim CEO. Interim CEO uses foul vulgar language with honour in staff briefings. Staff work in fear and there is little respect for corporate values...people do what's required to protect themselves from victimisation. People don't move on as they cannot find equivalent jobs easily. Overall, we are in rapid decline as an organisation.
Pros
Great mandate
Cons
Board, Management, Prevailing Culture, Interim CEO
We are all passionate about innovation and social transformation through technology. We are the designated implementing agency for the Department of Science and Innovation.
TIA: bioprocessing governmental research base institution thus very friendly and comfortable. However it does not pay as much compare to similar job profile.
This is one of the best companies in South Africa. Employers are very nice and they treat everyone equally, cleaners included. The company had so much benefits for the staff.
Pros
Benefits and Bonuses.
Cons
TIA has a great energy and environment for graduates. It embraces innovative ideas, encourages new ideas and implements them. The management is approachable and friendly. You are free and valued in any level or degree. I enjoy working at the lab and helping out whenever I can. Being exposed to all the different departments on the platform.
Pros
The relaxed and productive environment
Cons
Temporary employement
Experience gathered - enhanced audit, risk and accounting expertise - manage people - continuous education - tolerate and manage different cultures - go extra mile -
Cons
The type of work I am doing makes an impact on the lives of entrepreneurs in a financial and non-financial way. I have learned business management skills as well as Intellectual Property management and commercial law skills in my current job.
It was a very challenging environment, i have learnt a lot from TIA because there were different projects that we were exposed to.Co-workers were very supportive and assisting us accordingly. The hardest part was when we had to figure out how did the contamination came about.
Pros
Fun workplace
Cons
Challenging
Come in at 07h30 am, check e-mails, do administrative work, set up meeting, write meeting minutes, communicate with stakeholders,
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
I get the instruction from the mentor and things are done professionally and there is a family like type of environment at workplace.
It is a very flexible environment with different types of projects, therefore an employee gets exposed to every aspect of a science project there are no restrictions. I learnt a lot at T.I.A by the time my in service training ended, i knew how to run a HPLC, Bio-reactors etc, but there were difficulties that were faced more especially when there was a contaminant in the reactors. I enjoyed being able to run the bio-reactors with my junior colleagues without the assistance from the seniors, the seniors gave us numerous chances to operates the projects so that we can learn from them and acquire various skills on our own in other to survive in this science field.
Pros
Exposure to different projects
Cons
Challenges
I had the most outstanding experience of my life in this company, it basically taught me everything i needed to know about being a outstanding professional that i am today.
Its a very busy environment with different types of people.My day to day involvement with these people is when they bring documents for signature of which I am required to proof read before passing them to the CFO for signature. The hardest part of the job is taking minutes especially where there are sensitive issues discussed and I have to hear about it. e.g (disciplinary hearings) The enjoyable part of the job is managing the CFO's office.(being in control) What I have learned at TIA is to be humble and yet firm with the colleagues especially when it comes to managing movement in the CFO's office(I am the best gate keeper)
Pros
Being appreciated as an employee.
Cons
Waking up in the middle of the night to sort travel arrangements
TIA is technology funding company with lots of educated people and therefore I have learnt a lot within the company.
Has a lot of potential should it be run by proper management.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
no trust
Typical day at work-We were required to prepaire a presentation about our understanding about the company. I was vry excited as this was my first presentation. It was my turn to present,everything went well,the managers were impresed. I'll never forget that day. Our managers were very supportive,loving people and we could count on them.
Pros
travelling
Cons
Exciting company to work for, Their mandate is to bring as many new products through the various industry to market and create economic growth to SA. Gives you the opportunity to feel like "You make a difference"
Benefits
Cons
Currently without a CEO
I enjoy my work each and everyday. I even take some work home if necessary. I learned more about team work. The ot important thing i like about my job is helping people.
Pros
lunch for 1hr
Cons
8 hrs work