Total Management reviews

South Africa54 reviews
3,0
It was a wonderfullearning experience, the only problem would be the management communication, and also coming from another company there tends to be favoritsm
1,0
there i no work life balance. management micro manages people. People s private times are not respected either. performance bonuses are biased and it depends on your managers' liking and not performance. objectives are not clear either
3,0
I was part of the IT division with the responsibility of managing the day to day operations and special projects. Internal management political issues put somewhat of a damper on the day to day working environment.
I was head hunted to join Total Coal.
Pros
Nice office environment - to many internal political issues among management
Cons
Company not paying contractors a fee in line with responsibilities
3,0
Total has great policies at International level, Paris. Locally in South Africa management practice tribalism and racism. There is no job security and the company restructure annually.
4,0
At the company I learnt a lot of new things I things excluding the learnership I was there for, I was taught how to do Admin in only two weeks. The management were always willing to help us students with any concern we had and it was a fun and flexible place to work at. The hardest time of the job will be when we needed to prepare for Rail Tankers to off load Petrol and Diesel, The pipes that we were using were too heavy to carry but from then i was taught to be independent and strong.

The most enjoyable part of all the jobs that I was required to do was when i would be in the Admin Office and helping with the Admin work,I like helping and interacting with different people so I would enjoy working in the Admin Office more that when I was outside working with pipes but in overall I felt privileged and honored to be given such an opportunity that has made me who I am today.
Pros
Free lunches and gifts
4,0
Working at TotalGaz is very monotonous as the working environment is boring and dull. Most of management is stuck up and unfriendly.

I've learnt a lot about the gas industry and the vigorous demands thereof.

the hardest part of the job is to keep all your customers happy when there are product shortages at refineries which occurs almost every month.

the most enjoyable part of the job is the many challenges I face everyday.
Pros
No Pros
Cons
Long hours. Do't get paid overtime
4,0
A typical day at work will entail getting the job done correctly the first time.
A learned an enormous amount of processes, especially dealing with different companies all at once as we are currently approx. 30 companies.

The Management team is firm, but fair.
The culture is good.

The hardest part of the job is working with international clients, getting a hold of them etc.

In all it is a good team effort, with small little perks that makes it even a nicer place.
Pros
Free lunches, leaving early.
Cons
Long hours at times.
3,0
People are friendly and the office space is great. Company offers decent benefits but in terms of salary they are far behind other competitors.

Job security is not great since people with years and years of experience can lose their jobs if the CEO or the management changes up top.
3,0
Great day at work because im working * hours a day.
I've learned plenty of supervision plans.

Former management was fabulous, but the current one is not as good as I can say
Most of the time, I am spending long hours in the plant operating.
Decanting rail tank cars, when its raining

not working weekends
Pros
Free Lunch when there is trainings
Cons
Reasonable hours
3,0
Working on different task daily and always finding solutions to challenges on project life cycles.

Change management and team player skills, management of Contractor and stuff, problem solving skill.

Safe work culture

Pressure buildup due to delays suppliers

Working with effective project team,Clients, Engineering consultants
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Total?
3,0
A typical day at work is busy but we get through it.
I learned that team work is very important in the workplace.

Management are friendly and assist us greatly.
My co workers are friendly and we have a great relationship.

The hardest part to be honest is the rude customer but it comes with the territory

The most enjoyable part of work is getting the job done
3,0
I have learned to be flexible and work under pressure. My role is solely dependant on other business users. I have also learned to be patience with people, and to work effectively with different people on different levels of management.

I am good team player that is able to relate to everyone in our team and other teams. I am generally a friendly person and easy person to work with and rely on.

My co-workers and I , have a good working relationship and we respect eachother's space and privacy.

The hardest part of my job is that it is slowly becoming less challenging because I am now very familiar with the trends and culture. This has made the job to be less challenging.

So for I believe this role created a good opportunity to learn and now I am ready to take up more challenges and grow further.
Pros
Flexible hours, If you come early you work your full hours and can leave early, Managers give you an opportunity to fully do your job without babyseating you.
4,0
Total is a corporate company, profit driven and required highly skilled, educated and loyal people. The company allow growth in all facets of the business. \Total is people orientated , colleges becomes family. People skills and time management is essential to achieve objectives. Situated in Sandton, the only bad part is traffic
Pros
International company
Cons
Non
4,0
Always busy.Working as a group you can do everything.Management always willing to help.co-workers always helps and make the working place fun.There is no hardest part of my job.Working with my friends and enjoying my live.
Pros
enjoying work with friends
Cons
almost never of on a sunday to go to church
5,0
Receiving and releasing of product (fuel) to customers. Balancing stock and safety of contractors and employees.
To deliver the right product on time

management give assistance
co-workers open and assist each other
working with hazardous substances be very careful and safe

when there is problem is tackled collectively

Pros
Cons
when required
2,0
The vision and the strategy set up by head office in Paris is great, but management locally do as they please, working against what has been set.
Their only interest is their personal gains rather than focusing on improving the bottom line for the organisation. A lot of internal politics and personal agendas.
Pros
travelling
Cons
organisation dominated by white males, who feel threatened by professionals, and any new employees or non whites and they do not have the interest of the company at heart.
3,0
I have gone through many series of learnership in equipping me as part of management. I received Certificates in Dismissal and Discipline and Organisational Rules. Bearing in mind that we are from different backgrounds it was not an easy task to come to terms with difficult and unreasonable people. I enjoyed working after everyone one had gone for thats when one can concetrate and fulfill all the assignments without rushing to meet deadlines. I am always on the ball and ahead with my work for i take initiative and adhere to reach my goals and can go an extra mile to assist those that need an extra hand
Pros
no free lunches
Cons
long hours were optional
4,0
A typical day at work would include liasing with depot staff, implementing safety management system and keeping it up to date for all depots, completing non conformances on program called Ramses. Completing projects. Arranging training for the various staff employed by Totalgaz. It has been a great learning experience working for the company. I conducted my Project management through the company and are implementing it by doing projects which are installations at our sites. I report to two managers which would be the project manager as well as the Engineering and HSEQ manager and they are both a motivated factor in my career. My co-workers are very helpful and motivated and always eager to assist when required. The hardest part of my job is to conduct project with our depots which are located throughout south africa and able to travel and to be able the project on site. I find it most awarding to complete a project within timeframe to implement safety management systems and achieve a high rating for all the hardwork put into it.
Pros
free lunches, team building, employee suggestions get attended to
Cons
travelling for weeks on end
3,0
When Im doing day shift I start my day at 6am. The first thing I do is to walkabout in the yard to see if it safe to start work.I learned how to balance stock and use the different systems in place. The management and co-workers are always willing to lend a helping hand when I encounter difficulties in the job. The hardest part is the technical part of the job, when a machine is not working and you have to figure out what is causing that and coming up with solutions if you can.I enjoy working with everyone especially the drivers because they respect me irrespective that Im younger than them.
Pros
christmas parties
Cons
working at nibght and long hours