Umgeni Water
4,2 out of 5 stars.

Umgeni Water Employee Reviews in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal

I am highly motivated, enthusiastic young man. I learned to how to come with new ideas and strategies in order to solve the problems, how to do the troubleshooting. Managing time is my culture.
Informs all employees about the progress of the company. They have good programmes such as wellness day and aids day every year for all employees. Great organisation and treats all employees as family.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No promotions
Maintenance of all assets at all the various Dam sites and waterworks. Make sure that equipment is well maintained and breakdowns are minimized. Also make sure that the maintenance management system is updated and maintained.
Pros
buying facilities
Cons
overtime
there is no such worse day as i come to work as i can,as a SHEQ Assistance i leaned to do checklist which help them . know what not good to be use at
Pros
yes if we have a meeting
Cons
sometimes long hours
Umgeni Water was a great company to work for, in a day one has something to do and has something to learn on it. I learnt that even with the smalled work experience you can add value into the organisation The management is very proactive in terms of providing support and development for their employees
Pros
Good working hours
Warehouse Supervisor, Receiving and Dispatch and supervising. Managed the contracted security co. I personally had a good experience working for this company
I learnt project management at Umgeni Water. I was handling various projects and was required to monitor contractors on site as well as report back on project statuses and compile reports. I loved the easy going warm environment.
I am allocated to facilitate environmental education programs in schools and communities of 4 local municipalities. This requires a lot of travelling- initiating contacts- managing stakeholder relationships- project management and setting realistic targets. The job is quite lonely but we meet as a team at regular intervals to discuss performance. One has to have top notch problem solving skills in order to deal with challenges in the field. Management is there for performance review. The most enjoyable part is the diversity of programs that one implements and seeing school children expanding their learning and growth about environmental matters.
Pros
good salary
Cons
regular long distance driving
Coordinate health and safety systems. Retain and maintain documented information.Support quality in water oprations . Brainstorm innovative ideas within the SHEQ systems.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Lot of Paper work
I have received excellent training during my time at Umgeni Water. I have been exposed to many different engineering problems and challenges which has helped me grow and develop as a Chemical Engineer.
Pros
Good experience/exposure
The environment at Umgeni water was so welcoming and excellent team members with social and cultural events on Friday, I really enjoyed working there
Pros
Excellent organisationculture
Cons
temporary position
I enjoyed teaching and I would like one day to go back there and pass on my knowledge to the next generations when i retire.
Pros
Impacting knowledge
Cons
Low Salary and poor working conditions
I start of my day by reporting to my foreman(electrical/instrument) to receive mandate on a days work so to help me priorities duties for the day. I than adhere to instruction than report back to foreman towards the end of the day. I've learnt how to deal with obstacles involving work or personal. I'm based in a maintenance workshop remote from management offices. Co-workers vary in characteristics but however I've learned to embrace different cultures and people. Hardest part of the job is attending to breakdowns when water levels are extremely low but succession of breakdown builds skill and elevates thinking and work ethics. Most enjoyable part of the job is working in December we host a lot of braai's.
Pros
Knock off early on Fridays
Cons
Working on contract
1. A day where the management had to change the deadlines and all the dates were moved to 3days before the initial dates.2. I've learnt that it is very important to always be ahead with my work.3. Management was very supportive and assisted the team.4. From co-workers i just saw an exceptional team spirit from them.5. The job is not hard at all, but may be let say for a new person who is fresh from varsity, the challenging part can be speed and accuracy.6. It gives you a break in the middle of the month, it is quiet.