Umgeni Water
4,2 out of 5 stars.

Umgeni Water Employee Reviews in Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal

Its not only work but there's opportunities for play as well. There are different sporting codes you can get yourself involved in as part of the wellness program. There are leadership programs such as toastmasters to enhance communication skills. There's is plenty to do besides producing results.
Pros
Time off to study
Cons
immediate managers
it was very good working for this Client, Very good working environment with a very good management. there are lot of things that i have learned while working
Pros
New things to learn
Umgeni Water is a busy working area that , each day you get different issues that need to be resolved. each and every day I get to know new things . people that I work with are very understanding and that makes my job become very easy.
Opportunity to learn new things everyday. Gained extensive knowledge on SAP. Management is fair and includes me in all work related things as I have a disability of hearing problem. I get along with most of my colleagues who makes sure that I'm welcomed at all times. The hardest part of the job is to keep up with conversations in meetings but is a challenge that I can overcome. I enjoy working with my Supervisor in the GRC Support Team and he imparts knowledge regarding Governance Risk and Compliance.
Pros
Friendly and respectable people
Cons
great place for development for young professional with numerous resources for growth with challanges and great mentorship. well organised career upliftment. it is so say that my contract is ending very soon
Pros
cheap lunches
Cons
normal hours
The day is busy, I have learned to listen my colleagues and working overtime was the hardest but receiving a call from a satisfied Supplier was enjoyable.
Pros
Team building once in a while
Cons
Overtime
Management was direct and specific on what was required for achievement of goals. If they were not happy with your pitch you were suppose to do it correctly till you get it right no compromise. I learned how to read maps on the pipeline infrastructure a skill I obtained within the company. the hardest part was getting access to company vehicle and learning how to use MAXIMO. My co-workers and I worked wonderful together , and they were very helpful in terms of training. The hardest part of the job was when engineers did not avail themselves to approve and critic what has been done or give direction on the next step to be taken. the fun part was when a pipeline was completed.
Pros
Lunch Time prayer meetings
Cons
not receiving direction
be the best and strive to get best results all time and become the ambassador of the organisation you work for. Collect and learn as much as possible and be the best you can be.
Cup of coffee/tea to boost those brain cells, reading and responding to emails. Analysing the daily duties without forgetting the quarterly responsibilities. New assignments being taken up, using new and innovative ideas, with the inclusion of classic ideas. I learnt that the people in suits and offices do not just sit around and play on computers - they actually get major tasks done and in this case (major water supply tasks). There is more to big companies than what other sources may claim. Being in the same room with the company's founder and ceo was life changing as the management skills have driven Umgeni Water to great heights and success. The hardest part was feeling left out as I didn't have enough experiance, but I gained more information from those "awkward moments". I just loved the work enviroment and being close to information that involves the functionality of the city.
Pros
Long Lunches
Cons
Trying to get the public to understand the importance of water.
I have learned that water is an important resource and that we need to take care of it. The procedures on what the planning of water resource goes through
Daily tasks include process optimisation and troubleshooting. My work has given me an exposure to Project Management, Process design; and managening the graduate trainees. My job was to ensure that i bring evidence for all the recommendations that i have made to make sure that the operations staff can be able to adhere. the hardst part of the job is to ensure that the process controllers always do job as required to ensure good quality product at all times. the most enjoyable part of the job is giving the feedback of the investgation conducted by giving the evidence and all agrees to recommendations.
Employees are proud to be associated with the company. Most leaders operate on an open door policy which makes everyone's view to matter. Leadership are very strategic oriented thus provides sustainability to this company. The hardest part is service delivery against the available budget, as the company is a non-profitable organization. There is so much to do regarding water services and sanitation and at times resources limited. Umgeni Water environment is the best. Here there is a high sense of belonging and friendship among everyone regardless of the race, age or color. That I will miss.
Pros
social club every month end after work
Cons
Meetings
Samples need to be analysed as they arrive. There are about 70 to 90 samples that are recieved a day for analysis. I learnt to work under pressure and to meet delivery times thus ensuring customer satisfaction. The hardest part of my job would be to ensure completion of my work especially when samples arrive late however I work as a team and ensure that all preservation times are met and work is completed accurately. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you are allowed to train on different methods or techniques especially because of the exposure one would get when it comes to technolgy.
Pros
75% medical aid and a 14th cheque
Cons
Travelling
Working at Umgeni as an administrator / PA had its normal daily routines, yet there was room for growth and improvement. The management where great to work with and were always helpful, there was nothing in particular that was difficult about the job.
Pros
ability to grow in different departments
They are an Accredited ISO 17025 laboratory therefore they offer very strong training and discipline in their laboratories
Pros
Strong foundation of laboratory training, practises and standards
Umgeni Water is an excellent company to work for, they care about the well - being of its employees. The salary and benefits are market related and the wok atmosphere is conducive
Umgeni Water is the best Company to work for, the company is result driven, the KPIs are clear the moment you join the company you know exactly your required output and the performance is measured fairly.
Pros
Free Gym access
Cons
willingly go an extra mile
When there was chlorine breakdown and the plant was shut down. The reservoirs must be kept full at all times to minimise inconvenience to the customers therefore minimising customer complaints. Artisans were very committed in sorting the breakdown within the shortest possible time. The hardest part of the day is when you get difficults customers, power failures taking much longer than necessary. The most enjoyable part is when the customer's problem is sorted in a short space of time and also when you receive compliments from customers.
five days a week water analysis team work troubleshooting water management
Pros
free lunch
Cons
water management
Working under strict deadlines which are very tight so that we can deliver timeously.
Pros
flexi time
Cons
tight deadlines
Work starts at 8:00 to 4:30. During this time period I have a duty to perform all my duties for the day, fill the gap if a co-worker is absent. I have learnt to be a good team worker, time management around the work. I have to adapt in a diverse environment. I have enjoyed all the duties I had to perform, the management offers opportunities for trainings and studying which add motivation for the job.
Pros
working in a team
Cons
working weekends and public holidays
  1. Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal