Umgeni Water
4,2 out of 5 stars.

Umgeni Water Employee Reviews

At times its very stressful. Honesty and ethics is non negotiable. Management must be approachable and one should not be victimised when concerns are raised. When you have staff reporting to you and they are disciplined for not following procedures they then contact hotline and falsely accuse one of being racist or to shift the focus, now you have to deal with the inquiry and false accusations. this is the hardest part of your job. the most enjoyable part is when staff are troubled or need help be it with work or personal, and you can console or assist staff. when they walk away understanding their work and they are happy it gives me great satisfaction. Happy staff, good work.
Pros
Good company benefits and staff gatherings and functions
Cons
confidentiality
The environment at Umgeni water was so welcoming and excellent team members with social and cultural events on Friday, I really enjoyed working there
Pros
Excellent organisationculture
Cons
temporary position
be the best and strive to get best results all time and become the ambassador of the organisation you work for. Collect and learn as much as possible and be the best you can be.
Cup of coffee/tea to boost those brain cells, reading and responding to emails. Analysing the daily duties without forgetting the quarterly responsibilities. New assignments being taken up, using new and innovative ideas, with the inclusion of classic ideas. I learnt that the people in suits and offices do not just sit around and play on computers - they actually get major tasks done and in this case (major water supply tasks). There is more to big companies than what other sources may claim. Being in the same room with the company's founder and ceo was life changing as the management skills have driven Umgeni Water to great heights and success. The hardest part was feeling left out as I didn't have enough experiance, but I gained more information from those "awkward moments". I just loved the work enviroment and being close to information that involves the functionality of the city.
Pros
Long Lunches
Cons
Trying to get the public to understand the importance of water.
I have learned that water is an important resource and that we need to take care of it. The procedures on what the planning of water resource goes through
Daily tasks include process optimisation and troubleshooting. My work has given me an exposure to Project Management, Process design; and managening the graduate trainees. My job was to ensure that i bring evidence for all the recommendations that i have made to make sure that the operations staff can be able to adhere. the hardst part of the job is to ensure that the process controllers always do job as required to ensure good quality product at all times. the most enjoyable part of the job is giving the feedback of the investgation conducted by giving the evidence and all agrees to recommendations.
I enjoyed teaching and I would like one day to go back there and pass on my knowledge to the next generations when i retire.
Pros
Impacting knowledge
Cons
Low Salary and poor working conditions
Employees are proud to be associated with the company. Most leaders operate on an open door policy which makes everyone's view to matter. Leadership are very strategic oriented thus provides sustainability to this company. The hardest part is service delivery against the available budget, as the company is a non-profitable organization. There is so much to do regarding water services and sanitation and at times resources limited. Umgeni Water environment is the best. Here there is a high sense of belonging and friendship among everyone regardless of the race, age or color. That I will miss.
Pros
social club every month end after work
Cons
Meetings
Samples need to be analysed as they arrive. There are about 70 to 90 samples that are recieved a day for analysis. I learnt to work under pressure and to meet delivery times thus ensuring customer satisfaction. The hardest part of my job would be to ensure completion of my work especially when samples arrive late however I work as a team and ensure that all preservation times are met and work is completed accurately. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you are allowed to train on different methods or techniques especially because of the exposure one would get when it comes to technolgy.
Pros
75% medical aid and a 14th cheque
Cons
Travelling
I start of my day by reporting to my foreman(electrical/instrument) to receive mandate on a days work so to help me priorities duties for the day. I than adhere to instruction than report back to foreman towards the end of the day. I've learnt how to deal with obstacles involving work or personal. I'm based in a maintenance workshop remote from management offices. Co-workers vary in characteristics but however I've learned to embrace different cultures and people. Hardest part of the job is attending to breakdowns when water levels are extremely low but succession of breakdown builds skill and elevates thinking and work ethics. Most enjoyable part of the job is working in December we host a lot of braai's.
Pros
Knock off early on Fridays
Cons
Working on contract
Working at Umgeni as an administrator / PA had its normal daily routines, yet there was room for growth and improvement. The management where great to work with and were always helpful, there was nothing in particular that was difficult about the job.
Pros
ability to grow in different departments
They are an Accredited ISO 17025 laboratory therefore they offer very strong training and discipline in their laboratories
Pros
Strong foundation of laboratory training, practises and standards
Umgeni Water is an excellent company to work for, they care about the well - being of its employees. The salary and benefits are market related and the wok atmosphere is conducive
Umgeni Water is the best Company to work for, the company is result driven, the KPIs are clear the moment you join the company you know exactly your required output and the performance is measured fairly.
Pros
Free Gym access
Cons
willingly go an extra mile
When there was chlorine breakdown and the plant was shut down. The reservoirs must be kept full at all times to minimise inconvenience to the customers therefore minimising customer complaints. Artisans were very committed in sorting the breakdown within the shortest possible time. The hardest part of the day is when you get difficults customers, power failures taking much longer than necessary. The most enjoyable part is when the customer's problem is sorted in a short space of time and also when you receive compliments from customers.
five days a week water analysis team work troubleshooting water management
Pros
free lunch
Cons
water management
My typical day would be Printing work for the day, preparing by setting up the bench and conducting analyses. Filling up forms in required files. I have learnt to be independent meaning self starting than waiting to be told what to do. I got an opportunity to have gotten close to my collegues where we help each other and encourage each other. The job is not hard and I enjoy working on new things such as audits. My salary expectations will be from R10000 onwards.
Pros
hard working but relaxed environment and performance bonuses.
Cons
routine work
Working under strict deadlines which are very tight so that we can deliver timeously.
Pros
flexi time
Cons
tight deadlines
1. A day where the management had to change the deadlines and all the dates were moved to 3days before the initial dates.2. I've learnt that it is very important to always be ahead with my work.3. Management was very supportive and assisted the team.4. From co-workers i just saw an exceptional team spirit from them.5. The job is not hard at all, but may be let say for a new person who is fresh from varsity, the challenging part can be speed and accuracy.6. It gives you a break in the middle of the month, it is quiet.
Work starts at 8:00 to 4:30. During this time period I have a duty to perform all my duties for the day, fill the gap if a co-worker is absent. I have learnt to be a good team worker, time management around the work. I have to adapt in a diverse environment. I have enjoyed all the duties I had to perform, the management offers opportunities for trainings and studying which add motivation for the job.
Pros
working in a team
Cons
working weekends and public holidays
  1. Employee Reviews