Unilever

Unilever Employee Reviews in Boksburg, Gauteng

I was under Aprenticeship Programme but also gained from other learning opportunities apart from it.l found Engineering field very interesting machine operator,maintaining and solving problem was not just a job but inspired me.Working as a team create was fun.Competing with other shift with production rate while considering good Quality of products was most fun.
Very stressful environment characterized by lack of clear job requirements, lack of clear direction, unclear reporting structure, no career advancement
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Low salary
the environment is FMCG thus a bit of deviation from the planned diary is standard. Management does all there is to do to relax the climate though. At the time of working there the union was still extremely strong but with declining overall influence.
The FMCG industry is very competitive and Producing homecare goods was very challenging for me at that pace... I got to learn a lot being exposed to Unilever.
Pros
Free products
Cons
12 hours shift 4 day shift Safety priority,The benefits are quite fair, you get shift incentives,gift,salary is very well market related, for me it was a distance walk to work.
open for workers to learn and they are willing to give growth to their works.their senor oparater are willing to teach new employs and the safety if up to standard
I worked as an operator during an Apprenticeship program. I experienced a lot of engineering practical work. Did maintainance on machines. Attended management meetings. Received exposure in a production firm. Learned to work with people.
Pros
Free product
Cons
No cons
at unilever the don't do micro manager the support you do your job .the is so many benefits like staff shop ,medical and 3 bonus .your will have to attend every day meeting (output reliability meeting)
Pros
staff shop, but unilever product in discount price
Cons
receiving work calls when your off.
Unilever is a big company and i gained more experience while i was working there,we were always reaching our target. We worked together to succeed. We would help each other to do well as a team.
You will be exposed to a wealth of knowledge and experience. Collaboration is a bit tough especially with people wanting to shine at your expense. Pay is not so good especially if you come from a low salary, they dont make it worth your while at all.
Pros
Medical aid was good
Cons
Politics
Requires strong individual drive. Lacks experienced managers. Lacks structure and defined job roles and tasks. The company macro culture is not filtered through to ground floor.
Pros
Job security, benifits
Cons
Little recognition
I love the Unilever part time study scheme and the future leader programme.being funded by your company is the best feeling ever.I love working for Unilever.
Pros
free unilever products and a staff shop
Cons
cold factory
My typical work day started with a quick meeting with my team especially on a Monday morning to ensure everybody is clear in terms of what was required in that week. Review the previous week's performance regarding attendance, overtime and the costs related to these, Ensure that all managers receive their reports and they have done their part in managing these aspects. Always touched base with union leaders to ensure that there are no IR issues that may impact on production. Do daily factory walks with my team once a week. What i learnt from this environment is the importance of stakeholder engagement. The environment is highly unionised and therefore one cannot wish the labor representatives away. The environment was highly pressurized and work/life balance was a challenge
Pros
The size of the organisation and prospects for advancement
Cons
Work/life balance
The best company I have worked for in my career. The culture is perfect. Development is great. The best place for you to start your career as an Engineer. I learnt a lot there. they taught me everything that i know today. I also traveled the world there. People comes first in Unilever.
all i know in the field of health and safety , started at Unilever, this was my very 1st job opportunity and i adored and loved every second of my job
Unilever is a great company, very productive environment. The management was very helpful and encouraging, I learnt so much from them. There were team buildings that I believe are very important.
Pros
Free Lunches, Team Buildings away
Unilever was the great company to work for. I had to leave because of growth. The company is looking after their employees. Unilever is the most successful business selling fast moving goods.
Pros
Free washing products
Cons
Salary
Waking up each day to go instore and interact with customers is what I enjoy the most. I feel that it's time for me to look at other ventures and new challenges in life. Team spirit and lending a helping hand is 1 of the best things I enjoy. Carrying heavy things such as washing powder has become a walk in the park for me, my own gym. I honestly love my job but doing the same thing for 6 years has taken its toll on me and it's time to move on to greater things in life.
Pros
Tea and lunch breaks
Cons
Rude store management
When it comes to work-life balance, Unilever is #1. You have the opportunity to work from home from time to time as long as you perform at the required standard, do not have any meetings that day and meet your deadlines. As far as Salary, not the best, well below market for Finance roles. Good benefits though such as Medical Aid and 13th Cheque, which many companies do not offer. Performance bonuses are linked to company growth/performance Working hours can be long especially at month end, stock count or budget season so be prepared to work late and under pressure. No overtime is paid for non-factory roles, including weekend work. There is a lot of pressure from management on finance which made it a stressful environment. If you are looking for career growth in Finance, there is little upward movement, people tend to be rotated at the same level with very few "climbing up the ladder". Very limited training is offered to help upskill the finance teams although they do pay for CIMA (with conditions). But not all is bad, if you are an Engineer or have a science related degree, the world is your oyster in the factory environment, especially at Unilever. The staff shop is also an added plus.
Everyday was an experience as I got to learn new ways and forms of approaching problems and sorting them out. This company really cares cares for its employees as safety is the first policy that for me even made me work harder.
Pros
Leaanerships
Cons
Irregular hours
The work place had great company culture, and highly innovative place. The expericence facililated growth and networking. meeting new people made the stay special
Pros
subsidized lunch
Cons
long working hours