University of Cape Town

University of Cape Town Employee Reviews

South Africa194 reviews
4,0
when i started working at Uct it was exciting, i liked the environment, career wise i didn't grow, I was in the same level for +-7 years, opportunities to study were very slim, Junior degree part time at UCT then was not available for employees working full time.
Pros
free jazz concert to relax employees' minds
Cons
regular hours
3,0
- Supportive staff and an interesting group of students.
- Hourly rate is great but not paid according to hours *actually* worked (e.g., was compensated for one hour of marking when we usually spent far more time on this).
5,0
Work life balance, flexibility and great management. The work was challenging but had great support. I was never micro managed because management believed in my capabilities. I would go back if the was an opportunity.
Pros
Growth opportunities if you want to grow are endless. They even paid for my studies
4,0
It is a place where one can grow professionally and intellectually, with a culture of integration of all communities.
The onus is therefore on each individual to identify their own potential and harness it.
3,0
Professional environment to work in. Very frindly staff and students. Cosmopolitan with staff from different backgrounds, countries, races, cultures and genders.
4,0
UCT is a demanding workplace and requires commitment that may be off-putting if you want a good work/life balance. The benefits are fair and the work place setting is unmatched.
5,0
I was a postdoctoral fellow, so this would be highly variable. As a student, this depends on the lab you work for. As a lecturer it depends on whether you are permanent or temporary.
5,0
This is a very interesting job. Every day is a learning experience. The students make up the best part of the day as they are the main focus of the job. Everything revolves around them and their well-being.

Management are an amazing team of individuals! Strong, humble and always willing to teach and share knowledge and wisdom regarding the job and Residence.

I absolutely love working here!
3,0
I was working in a research project and we completed the project. I enjoyed working for UCT but it was a contract so there was no job security. when we always knew that at some stage we will have to start looking for permanent employment.
very relaxed environment
not a deadline driven environment

no strict deadlines

26 days of annual leave

violent protests

destruction of property by protesters
3,0
My job atbuct was great I was paid well and management was nice and approachable. However it was long working hours and gad to travel early in the morning
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Ling working hours
4,0
A typical day involved an interactive, encouraging learning environment and problem solving. The best part id say is completing a job and witnessing the results in real time.
4,0
Each day has new challenges or things to learn even if you have a defined job description as you deal with all sorts of personalities, cultures, ages and temperaments. I can not complain about the salary at all. Management was fair and very accommodating in times of challenges or difficulties. The hardest part of the job was leaving at the end of my contract. The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling and energy of the surroundings filled with learning and teaching and people growing and actually seeing their progress through their years.
5,0
The best university in Africa. Professors are world class and help anyone who comes to them. Other post graduate students are also world class and just wonderful people
3,0
I enjoyed the HS Course as it refreshed my outlook on HS and I learned several new techniques to achieve my HSE goals and broaden my perspective. I enjoy doing courses from different institutions to keep up to date with developements
Pros
Obtained new knowledge
Cons
Costly
5,0
UCT is an excellent work space. The Teams are great and very reliable. There is enough seminars and workshops to upgrade skills and Training is unlimited.
3,0
It's a place where if you are disciplined and self-motivated, you will thrive. There are a lot of resources to take advantage of and it easy to engage and create good relationships with the students.
5,0
An environment that encourages collaboration and learning. Difficult, but there is help readily available as lecturers and students are willing to assist.
5,0
The university has nice and friendly working environment. Most of the co-workers and supervisors are experienced and well informed. The working conditions are very flexible.
Pros
Free and fast WiFi
Cons
High quality research
5,0
This company was good and it treated us so well throughout the whole employment period and it paid good rates for the minor job we were tasked with. Excellent.
5,0
Pleasant working environment with plenty of room to grow into the direction of research you are aiming for.

Excellent leadership and guidance in relation to work assignments, with high expectations for positive results.