University of Cape Town

University of Cape Town Employee Reviews

South Africa209 reviews

4,0Work-Life Balance

Good pay

Rekaxed and collaborative environment with a great employee benefits. The work is not that hectic, but it does get busy during the examination and result releasing period.

Pros

Salary

Productive and fun to engage with students

Tutoring at UCT can be challenging but it is also fun. Helping someone figure out a concept they were struggling with is honestly priceless. The tutoring job allows for flexibility in the sense that you can choose a time slot that fits to your schedule

A nice way to get a little extra cash as a student

We had to mark assignments and tests and help students in the lab once a week. It was a nice way too earn a little extra cash as a student and since it is some experience you can put on your CV, it definitely was worth it.

Pros

Something to add to your CV as a student

It was a great place to work and learn.

I thoroughly enjoyed my 10 years at UCT.Loved the culture and working with students.I learnt so much and met so many people from all over Africa. The only problem I have is at the age of 65 you are forced to retire. That should be changed.

Informative and competitive workplace

Working at the university presents one to an intense marking, lesson planning, competitive, and collaborative environment. This, however, was eased by the flexible scheduling that the Anthropology department offered to it’s tutors.

Pros

Flexible scheduling

Cons

Long marking hours

Great and amazing.

Worked as a front desk assistant. I had a great time. Shifts were in hours. Had an amazing team. We were all students. Was able to study whilst on duty. The reception area was not always that busy.

Pros

Free tea

Productive place

A fun company to work at. Diversity of people and understanding different cultures. During my time I did not experience any challenges as the manager always willing to step in and assist.

Pros

Free lunches during events

Busy, stressful, but can be fun at the same time

There are days your day starts out relaxed with no pressure, then there are days your day or week could become extremely fast-paced and stressful depending on what is required from you. The environment most times can be fun and optimistic, but when it comes to crunch time, meaning all hands on deck there could be a bit of nastiness, but one does not take it personally because deadlines have to be met. We talk about it later and move on from it. At times the hardest part is trying to please everyone by pushing out their requests simultaneously, but that cannot always happen and some co-workers become agitated by it because some of them forward their requests at the last minute. I will say this, some managers have or little experience in dealing with their subordinates. Some managers are not consistent in their disciplinary methods and in this regard they become biased by showing favouritism instead of being diplomatic. This in turn causes friction amongst co-workers which could make your working environment unpleasant. Therefore I re-iterate that some managers need to go on a managers training cause or a refresher one. I would also recommend that a manager's superior do monthly or quarterly inquiries from their subordinates to find out how the manager of that specific unit, department or cluster performs in his/her duties. I believe providing incentives to staff as an added bonus, it boosts the staff members morale and your staff members and will become more productive and a happy one at that.

Pros

Sometimes receiving little tokens of appreciation either via email, verbally or a gift.

Great learning environment

It was nice because I was a tutor. Good salty for a student. I would recommend it and it looks great on cv. You grow and learn from professionals. I recommend it

Organised institution

Very organised environment, what you see is what you get which I like. I find that people are more open minded and willing to help. It was great to get the opportunity to study and they also have a few short courses offered within the institution you can do. UCT is more organised than other institutions, if you a process driven person then this is definitely the way to go! I only left to study and I would go back anytime again!

Pros

To study for free

Cons

It was a learning experience

Tutoring was one of the things that taught me a lot about myself. I grew from the experience as well as learnt a lot about myself, my students, Excel, Pastel and the course. I learnt how to balance work with school.

Independent learning and inconvenient system

university of Cape Town is an excellent learning opportunity as you are molded by fire. Many difficult staff that require you to be patient and utilize good interpersonal skills to get your job done. No monetary benefits as that is the nature of work I applied for, but there are other benefits such as first preference for choosing a residence room.

Pros

Great experience

Cons

Working with difficult people

Productibe environment

It was a balanced work environment that made made every possible accommodation for optimum use of human intelligence. I was able to grow professionally to a magnitude of expertise that I can work at supervisory level.

It's a good environment to work in, so politics come into play from time to time, i guess it's the nature of the environment.

The have very good study assistance and you can grow internally. Job succession is lacking and bonus system really need to be reviewed, as it's currently more favorable to the academic staff.

Superbly excellent

Fun to work with high intellectuals with lots of opportunities for international candidates in the field of sociolinguistic. I highly recommend this University for any post graduate degree and research.

Pros

Short distance travelling

Cons

Fear of being mugged

productive but no fun

when i started working at Uct it was exciting, i liked the environment, career wise i didn't grow, I was in the same level for +-7 years, opportunities to study were very slim, Junior degree part time at UCT then was not available for employees working full time.

Pros

free jazz concert to relax employees' minds

Cons

regular hours

Heavy workload but rewarding interactions with students

- Supportive staff and an interesting group of students.- Hourly rate is great but not paid according to hours *actually* worked (e.g., was compensated for one hour of marking when we usually spent far more time on this).

Best organization to work for. I developed a lot in 4 year.

Work life balance, flexibility and great management. The work was challenging but had great support. I was never micro managed because management believed in my capabilities. I would go back if the was an opportunity.

Pros

Growth opportunities if you want to grow are endless. They even paid for my studies

Cons

Productive and very interactive place to work in.

It is a place where one can grow professionally and intellectually, with a culture of integration of all communities. The onus is therefore on each individual to identify their own potential and harness it.

Productive place

Professional environment to work in. Very frindly staff and students. Cosmopolitan with staff from different backgrounds, countries, races, cultures and genders.

High Stress, Good reward

UCT is a demanding workplace and requires commitment that may be off-putting if you want a good work/life balance. The benefits are fair and the work place setting is unmatched.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Cape Town. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4,0 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance
3,6 out of 5 stars for Salary/Benefits
3,5 out of 5 stars for Job Security/Advancement
3,8 out of 5 stars for Management
3,9 out of 5 stars for Culture
  • University of Cape Town
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?