University of Cape Town
4,3 out of 5 stars.

University of Cape Town Employee Reviews

Very organised environment, what you see is what you get which I like. I find that people are more open minded and willing to help. It was great to get the opportunity to study and they also have a few short courses offered within the institution you can do. UCT is more organised than other institutions, if you a process driven person then this is definitely the way to go! I only left to study and I would go back anytime again!
Pros
To study for free
Cons
Tutoring was one of the things that taught me a lot about myself. I grew from the experience as well as learnt a lot about myself, my students, Excel, Pastel and the course. I learnt how to balance work with school.
university of Cape Town is an excellent learning opportunity as you are molded by fire. Many difficult staff that require you to be patient and utilize good interpersonal skills to get your job done. No monetary benefits as that is the nature of work I applied for, but there are other benefits such as first preference for choosing a residence room.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Working with difficult people
It was a balanced work environment that made made every possible accommodation for optimum use of human intelligence. I was able to grow professionally to a magnitude of expertise that I can work at supervisory level.
The have very good study assistance and you can grow internally. Job succession is lacking and bonus system really need to be reviewed, as it's currently more favorable to the academic staff.
Fun to work with high intellectuals with lots of opportunities for international candidates in the field of sociolinguistic. I highly recommend this University for any post graduate degree and research.
Pros
Short distance travelling
Cons
Fear of being mugged
when i started working at Uct it was exciting, i liked the environment, career wise i didn't grow, I was in the same level for +-7 years, opportunities to study were very slim, Junior degree part time at UCT then was not available for employees working full time.
Pros
free jazz concert to relax employees' minds
Cons
regular hours
- Supportive staff and an interesting group of students.- Hourly rate is great but not paid according to hours *actually* worked (e.g., was compensated for one hour of marking when we usually spent far more time on this).
Work life balance, flexibility and great management. The work was challenging but had great support. I was never micro managed because management believed in my capabilities. I would go back if the was an opportunity.
Pros
Growth opportunities if you want to grow are endless. They even paid for my studies
Cons
It is a place where one can grow professionally and intellectually, with a culture of integration of all communities. The onus is therefore on each individual to identify their own potential and harness it.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of Cape Town?
Professional environment to work in. Very frindly staff and students. Cosmopolitan with staff from different backgrounds, countries, races, cultures and genders.
UCT is a demanding workplace and requires commitment that may be off-putting if you want a good work/life balance. The benefits are fair and the work place setting is unmatched.
I was a postdoctoral fellow, so this would be highly variable. As a student, this depends on the lab you work for. As a lecturer it depends on whether you are permanent or temporary.
This is a very interesting job. Every day is a learning experience. The students make up the best part of the day as they are the main focus of the job. Everything revolves around them and their well-being. Management are an amazing team of individuals! Strong, humble and always willing to teach and share knowledge and wisdom regarding the job and Residence. I absolutely love working here!
I was working in a research project and we completed the project. I enjoyed working for UCT but it was a contract so there was no job security. when we always knew that at some stage we will have to start looking for permanent employment.
very relaxed environment not a deadline driven environment no strict deadlines 26 days of annual leave violent protests destruction of property by protesters
My job atbuct was great I was paid well and management was nice and approachable. However it was long working hours and gad to travel early in the morning
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Ling working hours
A typical day involved an interactive, encouraging learning environment and problem solving. The best part id say is completing a job and witnessing the results in real time.
Each day has new challenges or things to learn even if you have a defined job description as you deal with all sorts of personalities, cultures, ages and temperaments. I can not complain about the salary at all. Management was fair and very accommodating in times of challenges or difficulties. The hardest part of the job was leaving at the end of my contract. The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling and energy of the surroundings filled with learning and teaching and people growing and actually seeing their progress through their years.
The best university in Africa. Professors are world class and help anyone who comes to them. Other post graduate students are also world class and just wonderful people
I enjoyed the HS Course as it refreshed my outlook on HS and I learned several new techniques to achieve my HSE goals and broaden my perspective. I enjoy doing courses from different institutions to keep up to date with developements
Pros
Obtained new knowledge
Cons
Costly