University of Cape Town

University of Cape Town Management reviews

South Africa189 reviews
5,0
This is a very interesting job. Every day is a learning experience. The students make up the best part of the day as they are the main focus of the job. Everything revolves around them and their well-being.

Management are an amazing team of individuals! Strong, humble and always willing to teach and share knowledge and wisdom regarding the job and Residence.

I absolutely love working here!
3,0
My job atbuct was great I was paid well and management was nice and approachable. However it was long working hours and gad to travel early in the morning
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Ling working hours
4,0
Each day has new challenges or things to learn even if you have a defined job description as you deal with all sorts of personalities, cultures, ages and temperaments. I can not complain about the salary at all. Management was fair and very accommodating in times of challenges or difficulties. The hardest part of the job was leaving at the end of my contract. The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling and energy of the surroundings filled with learning and teaching and people growing and actually seeing their progress through their years.
4,0
Servicing academics was key to support the objectives of the institution providing research.

Deadlines and output driven was the deliverables of progress reports and financial status reports to academics was a core function.

The workplace culture was sometimes found bias depending on line management reporting.
4,0
Ensuring that all Students were dealt with accordingly.
Customer Service related environment.

Dealing with students from different walks of life.

Senior Management - approachable.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Good working environment
1,0
Management far removed from reality of the ongoing political and economic crisis of South Africa in relation to higher education struggles. Racism abounds and bro culture - hang on to older, less 'in tune' primarily white academics and make little to no space for younger developing academics who are women or people of colour.
Pros
some nice colleaugues here and there
Cons
toxic workplace
3,0
A typical day at work should be about settling in with a fresh cup of coffee and routinely orientate myself with the environment; comfortably attending to my Outlook dairy to see what screams immediate attention and what can be parked for later. The best part of the day will be about engaging with people more than sitting behind a desk and pushing pencil/pen.

What I have learned is to play a positive role in the lives of others, sharing my life experiences and imparting knowledge not only in my profession but also life skills in general.

Management focus should firstly be on human relations, inspiring, encourage, engage and motivate individuals and collectives. Collaborative management makes great teams work together successfully, win together and celebrate rewards together.

Workplace culture in my opinion is about mindset shifts from silo to open mentality. Embracing differences and respecting individuals for who they are. Aiming to achieve a common workplace culture taking in to account diverse dynamics.

The hardest part of the job in my opinion is what we tell ourselves we cannot do or believe that it is beneath us to do.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to see a smile on someone's face which l influenced, even though after tough conversation.
3,0
My professor was a very strict and difficult to work with. but i was staying there to advance my career.Finally we separated due to unfair management of my fund.
Pros
advancement
Cons
bad management
5,0
A typical day consists of good work ethic, learning new applications and how to deal with different personalities. Submission to management is vital. The hardest part of any job is understanding job criteria and the expectation of the position. The enjoyable part is knowing that you are in the position not only for a salary but to see the bigger picture of the company growth and the contribution of your functioning skills and abilities.
Pros
incentives/Bonuses
Cons
Weekend working
5,0
Need to pay attention to detail as analyzing research reports needs a careful and precise execution. Sampling, tracing of sampling units and surveys. Management of survey teams and research assistants, ensuring data quality and completeness is among the duties that are expected at this level. Overseeing data capturing and planning and reporting on travel work trips.
Pros
Familiarize with all regional offices and staff, get to see the country
Cons
Long hours, travel frequently to different Provinces in the country
4,0
When it came to the accommodation of my disability at the tertiary institution I proudfuly applaud UCT for its high quality standard of accommodations
Pros
High quality accommodation
Cons
Self pro-activeness
5,0
I enjoyed for the University of Cape. Learnt a lot about medical terminology and medical student interns,

A voluntary package was offered by the University of Cape Town which I opted to take.
Pros
UCT staff policies
Cons
New management
4,0
Good place to learn and refresh software knowledge. I am multitasking between software development, project management and system management. I'm involved developing complex electronic and computer systems.
Pros
Flexitime
Cons
Extremely low pay
5,0
A typical day at work includes calling UCT alumni and updating their information in the UCT database.
I have learned communication and fundraising skills.

The management always encourages us to do our best and supports us all the way.
The workplace culture is a great one that encourages envolved and inclusivity.

The hard part of the job is to encourage a stranger(UCT Alumni) to donate over the phone.

The enjoyable part is interacting with the UCT Alumni and gets great professional advice from them and hearing their experience at UCT.
Pros
Great networking space
Cons
Long Hours and Challenging.
2,0
Other than lack of benefits for contract staff, it is a nice place to work. The people are very pleasant and the work environment is quite challenging but rewarding.

Management are well aware of issues within the departments, but if you raise these issues they're swept under the rug. We carry on about austerity but there are many high paying managers who are paid to do nothing but pass their work down to lower pay class staff and pass it off as their own.

There is also no development for staff despite development dialogues that take place annually. Many employees are stuck in their positions (and pay classes). To move up many have either left the university or moved to different departments for better opportunities.
Pros
Nice cafeteria's on upper and middle campus, Jammie shuttles
Cons
No development for PASS staff
5,0
My Job at the University of Cape Town was a Dining Hall Monitor.
During my stay at one of the residences in UCT I applied for the position of Dining Hall Monitor because I needed money for some part time work. My Job consisted of making sure that the correct people can enter the dining hall for the meal time. I was also in charge of reporting to the Supervisor how many people ate and I was in charge of Cash Vouchers for those students who were not able to eat during the specified meal times as a result of academic commitments.

I learned how to work under pressure, as well as keep a tight record, make sure that those cash vouchers were all accounted for.

The management was the catering supervisors which were outsourced by UCT. They were very nice, and understanding that we were students, and had other commitments.

Work Place culture was great as it was with all my friends from my residence(dormitory) that were also employed in the dining Hall as a Dining Hall Monitor.

The Hardest Part of the Job was definitely not allowing people to eat when they miss the cut-off time. When the meal time is over, the manager does the count of how many people had ate during that time, thereafter, the cards(tickets) are packed back in their specific slots. When a student/staff member is late, they cannot eat because the count has already been done.

The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be during the lunch shifts. Because most students were at campus, very few students used to eat in the res dining hall, so the shift entailed sitting behind a quiet desk and chatting with
 - more...
Pros
Working with your friends
Cons
Having to tell students they cannot eat now
3,0
The company is goal driven they believe that everything is possible, they are prepared to supply and to deliver according to expectation, the management that is the are those who are prepared to explore the world
Pros
Cons
normal hours
4,0
Best place for job experience as a student . Working hours ranged from very busy breakfast shifts, and handing out of lunch vouchers and dinner shifts; to very chilled lunch shifts. Consisted of flexible working hours interchanged with colleagues. Time-conscious and considerate team of co-workers. Learned time management, prioritising, problem-solving skills, approachability, client service and good communication skills. Managers were clear and concise in instructions and orders. Hardest part was having to kick out people not eligible for meals and the best part was getting to meet new people every day.
Pros
Meeting new people every day
5,0
Very privileged to study at UCT again! Such a chilled yet hard working crowd in the Robotics and Agents Research Lab in Mech Eng with many interesting projects.
Pros
Own time management.
Cons
Have to pay to be there :)
5,0
it was a good job for a student as i was one at the time. It helped me to to rely on my colleagues for learning more and taking a shift when i had an exam. Management was the best ever, so efficient
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
short breaks
5,0
Tends to favor academics vs professional support staff.
Management does what it can to help technical staff progress, but does fall short
Pros
Good medical and retirement fund
Cons
Protests
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Cape Town. Our community is ready to answer.
4,3