University of Johannesburg
4,2 out of 5 stars.

University of Johannesburg Employee Reviews

South Africa653 reviews

4,1Work-Life Balance

Positive , but fast passed enviroment

Competitive fast passed environment Lots of studying opportunities Top of 4th industrial revolution Modern Marketing strategyEthical accountability for research

Great workplace

Assisting students with practical tasks and assessments was my main job. I also marked tests and assignments with the lecturer.It was an overall good experience, taught me time management, prioritization and helped me improve my interpersonal skills

Pros

Flexi hours

Cons

Great work environment for young scholars

The institution values and fosters a culture of excellence. It offers a collaborative and competitive environment for young scholars who wish to venture into a career in academia. There room for growth.

Fun work place

It is a fun experience as a first workplace. The pay was not good but the experience was worth it. Management was easy firm but fair and easy to work with.

Great environment

I worked at a business unit, the commmercial arm called Busitech many years ago.Great environment. Fufilled work. Friendly people. Campus life is exhilarating even if u no longer a student, UJ gives a sense of homliness.The work was challenging in Project Managment but we changed lives and supported business growth and had access to great further opportunities in the University.

Pros

Great people and education benefits to study free

Cons

Long hours which i did not mind

nice to work with students

Everything is perfect, but I wish that they can subsidize medical aid. I enjoy working with students. Management is great and our department is the best in terms of teaching and learning.

stressful. too ambious university with little support structures.

There is just too much stress in the system. UJ wants to be world class at all costs.Management is highly xenophobic.Day starts at 8 and ends at 4PM.You cannot get higher positions if you are a foreigner. You want to be worked like a donkey. I would advise foreigners not to join.

Pros

grow your cv

Cons

Slow paced and full of inepts

Boring not innovative or anything that help you grow in the industry and working environment as whole. Its tiring to even pen anything down, I haven't learnt anything new since my arrival it's like I'm regressing further down

I loved the working hours and the flexibility of balancing my life and school. being part of the University of Johannesburg gives me the freedom I need to focus on my assessment and also make room for work.

Pros

easily accesible resources

Cons

N/a

Educational

The work helps a person who have no job experience and graduated to have experience and know how to work in a group. It helps a person to flexible as it has lot of taks a it a big institution. It has studio works and outreach projects.

Pros

Free lunch and tea at research projects

Cons

Normal hours

Constantly improving environment

- I have learned to work under pressure in this environment.- The way of things is always in a collaborative manner.- The hardest part of the job is the long hours of work without any planned break, for the benefits of overall productivity.- The fun part of the job is the ability to be forging the next generation of technicians and engineers.

Pros

Internet access, everywhere at all time. Printing.

Cons

Long streaks of hours of working with cyclic students

Fun and conducive

I enjoyed working there as I was a student and helping other students it was a great opportunity, I would work there again if I got an opportunity. Every moment was a blessing as I loved my work and the management team was very helpful.

fun and supportive environment

great environment to begin work experience as a student and it further grooms and prepares for the work environment u learn from work ethics... professionalism and presence. I the important stages of independence are learned when one becomes a tutor as the sense of responsibility is instilled

Pros

bursary opportunities

Cons

long hours home

Good environment

I had a good time working there. I learned a lot from colleagues and the HOD. I'd definitely take a job there again. It's a healthy environment to be in.

Pros

Some times they let you knock off early

Cons

The salary could have been better

Room for growth

I enjoyed my time at the university, I actually worked all campuses . And all were different and had a particular taste about them. I enjoyed all of them . I would not mind working there again

Pros

Free education

Cons

Student headache

Learning experience

During the course of employment at University of Johannesburg I learned to effectively draft fitness assessments, practically engaging with students or lecturers on various ways to suit their fitness goals.

Pros

Great team work

The University of Johannesburg is very competent

The managers and CEO at the University of Johannesburg are very competent and they take their work seriously. Everyone in the workplace is treated equally and the working environment is safe for all.

Pros

Competence

Cons

Lunch breaks are short

Fun

it was a fun work to do but there was no job security at all, since we had to work around different locations everyday, making survey/ intreviewing residents about their living enviroment and surroundings

Confidence and transparency is important

The tasks were explained( when there was a need ) it was easy to work with people if you know exactly what's required , learning more strategies daily. The biggest experience that gave me confidence to be more out going helped me do my job with love and excitement.

Pros

Learning never stops

Cons

Contract was 10 months

Research on purification of water

The research was conducted to purify water by using one of the specific carbon material. The target contaminant was Chromium (VI). The aim was to use materials that are affordable and environmentally friendly for this process of purification.

Great institution to develop in.

It's a fast growing institution and always adapting to standards and technological advancements. Its a great institution for an individual who's in the early developing stages of their career, a perfect headstart.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Johannesburg. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4,1 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance