University of Kwazulu-Natal logo
4,0 out of 5 stars.

University of Kwazulu-Natal Employee Reviews

3,8Work-Life Balance

Productive and enjoyable environment

Ukzn has a very great work environment and helpful co workers who made working there easier and smoother for a beginner. The people there collectively have a strong work ethic and are very helpful and make sure that not only team goals but individual goals are also achieved.

Pros

Free lunch. Fun environment

Cons

Workload

Good place to learn and kick start your career

Working here was a good way to learn and develop many of the skills I have today.Interviewing different people,from academics,over achievers to ordinary students was a good way to develop my communication skills.

Pros

No working on weekends

Productive, professional and peaceful environment

I enjoyed working at UKZN. The hours were flexible as long as your tasks are completed. The environment was peaceful but professional. I have learned how passionate many environmental scientists are about their jobs and one feeds off that positive energy.

Good environment

Excellent working environment. Needs better procedures for student development after graduating but all in all the atmosphere is good and the people are approachable

productive

We work as a team and there is much we learnt, helping students is a most interesting part of the Job. Time management is very important when you are working especial with academics.

Pros

own lunch

Cons

short hours

Complex environment

I'm an academic, in a field that is very short on skills. As a recent, we extremely sort after in practice. The university does not recognise that out in practice we could be earning considerably more. The processes at the university are extremely slow and having worked at a number of other universities I can say that UKZN has very poor performance from its support staff. The support staff that I work with are inefficient and provide little help to the academic. I say this because at other universities support staff are given considerably more work. The promotions policies are extremely archaic, and little allowance is made for an academic wanting to progress on the teaching front. Research is the only thing that really matters. I was promoted from Lecturer to Senior Lecturer only because of my research. Like most academic environments this university to has its fair share of office politics. It is very easy for management to be partial to specific individuals or groups. In addition, BEEE practised very overtly, if you don't meet the requirements this is probably not the place for you. I have found that a lot of colleagues that left UKZN found great success at overseas universities if they are not BEEE compliant. This university serves mainly lower quantile students, thus many students are very weak when compared to other universities in SA. UKZN seems to understand this and is thus very accommodating to students. I suggest that you obtain your PhD and publish before becoming permanent as there is very little time after that.

Pros

flexable work environment

Cons

Weak students; Poor promotions policy, poor support staff

Productive fun environment

managed to gain lots of skills from this organisation. first Amin and secretary experience, financial administration and events coordination. it was and easy place to explore new skills.

Pros

big organisation to explore and grow

Cons

never had an opportunity to be permanent, contracts after contract so there was no stability

Intellectual, competitive, engaging and challenging

1. Engage a wide vatiety of people and a range of HR matters from individual to organisational and from operationalto strategic. 2. Ensure that every solution or initiative is well researched, evidence based and widely consulted with all stakeholders to ensure successful implmentation. 3. Conservative and tradional management syle. 4. Bureaucratic and lengthy processes, slow to adopt change. 5. Obtaining buy-in from academics for your ideas and solutions. 6. Experiencing the feedback of employees at all levels for the successful impact of interventions, ideas and solutions to problems.

Pros

Free tuition for yourself and dependants up to and including PhD

Cons

Impact of student protest action on employees

Fast paced and competitive work environment

Working as a teaching assistant was often very stressful, you are required to work without supervision. The job involved working at several after hour functions that were not included in the paid working hours. The job also required doing a lot of work after hours at home.

Cons

After hour functions that are not included in paid working hours.

Work environment.

UKZN is an extremely good institution to work at.You get a chance to learn,to learn more from your colleagues and the job that you are assigned to do.

Jobs at University of Kwazulu-Natal

See more jobs

I am currently serving as an SRC member for two consecutive terms. It is voluntary and absolutely a beautiful journey for oneself's experience and working with different departments. In most cases, you learn to manage both your school work and your SRC duties which sometimes require one to be a crisis manager and execute yout duties in limited time. All this work is done with no monthly stipend but is the greatest teacher of all time.

Great working environment with alot of culture awareness, support groups , writting places and professional services

Punctuality is excellent Communication service is good Good team work Career orientated and focused Enjoyable working environment Professional and friendly workers

Educational and productive workplace

The University of KwaZulu-Natal provides enough information for the students, in a secured, hygienic and organised environment. This University provides education of higher quality

Great work experience

Always be willing to learn and work your socks off. It's not an easy environment but the other staff is friendly they make sure that you feel comfortable on your work place

Working hours

Working at this company has taught me alot including good communication,Respecting my job and my colleagues,going extra mile for my job. And the working hours were good

Overall good environment

Loved working with students, I got to expose learners to the field of HR and academic literacy. It was a great experience because its my ultimate goal to lecture

Productive and fun place

It was a great workplace and very productive, I acquired a lot of skills. My supervisor was pleasant to work with including the professors. Time management and the ability to work under pressure was important. I enjoyed doing research and assisting my supervisor in drawing up proposals.

Productive and Fund

A typical day is very tasking with a lot of demand to meet up with. However it is always filled with enjoyable day and fund on the job. I also always learn to be ontop of my job, and be in charge of my job and delievering all the output required.

Stressful but interesting place to work

Demonstrating requires managing a group of undergraduates students. ost students do not care about their work and this can be frustrating but the few that are hard workers make it worth your time and make you want to be a good tutor just for their sakes.

Working as a tutor was a very nice experience, we got along very well with my first year students and I enjoyed helping them with the chapters that they did not understand and assignments.

Good for developing work environment skills and personal growth.

Very stressful work culture. You must be able to work under pressure. Requires good interpersonal, communication, time management, and problem solving skills.

Pros

Developmental

Cons

Stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Kwazulu-Natal. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4,0