University of Kwazulu-Natal

University of Kwazulu-Natal Employee Reviews

South Africa291 reviews

3,8Work-Life Balance

Educational and fun

Working at the University of Kwa-Zulu Natal is everything one could ever ask for, regardless of the inadequate pay. One is mostly interacting with a number of people who I help with Computer basics, in exchange, indirectly assist I to be the best Educator in all my specialization subjects.

Pros

long free time

Cons

online learning

Good pay

The tutor job is nice because you work once a week amd get a good salary. However there's some students who report you if they do bad. The marking is a nightmare

Productive workplace, demanding , less money some months you are paid .

They paid me for 3 months because they had not paid me in 3 months but reduced the money. The demand of high quality content is high but for the well-being of stuff members is low . You required to work extra time sometimes with no remuneration.

Management have no control over the University whatsoever.

With lack of proper management intervention this University is becoming a joke. This flows to students who feel they can do whatever and get away with it, and they do. This also instills a sense of entitlement to students who believe just being registered is a guaranteed graduation. Security is a major concern. The calibre of students are majority the "leftovers" that could not get into other universities and those that come to UKZN with the agenda and intention to cause chaos and destruction to almost everything.Promotions are reserved for those who hug the seniors rather than for those that do the groundwork and deserve the accolades. Really some people are paid for doing nothing at all. Whilst get paid for others doing the work for them. It's all about who you know here.The SRC are freelancers on campus with nothing better to do than to stir the pot and approach lecturers with stupendous demands without even understanding the logic and crux of situations. It is even questionable whether the SRC are even educated.This once prestigious University in SA is quickly becoming a run down school in a shanty town

flexible times.

for a first job as tutor while studying it was pretty much doable. The downside of this job is not getting paid for overtime, helping students on free time there is no compensation for that.

Cons

It was good to work in UKZN i enjoying

Im enjoying at working in UKZN I i was happy to work there the problem was Salary it was not enough for me .i have to buy food pay schoolfees and bus

Cons

Normal hours

There is potential but strong management needed

Paying way less for someone with a speciality in the fieldManagement is lacking managerial skills in health departmentI would do anything for an opportunity to work there again as health manager, it lacks a lot of skillsHIV management is a disaster

Opportunity for career growth

Excellent place for Career growth and personal development. Highly recommended for young researchers who need mentors. Especially if you want to make impact in your field of specialisation.

Productive and enjoyable environment

Ukzn has a very great work environment and helpful co workers who made working there easier and smoother for a beginner. The people there collectively have a strong work ethic and are very helpful and make sure that not only team goals but individual goals are also achieved.

Pros

Free lunch. Fun environment

Cons

Workload

Good place to learn and kick start your career

Working here was a good way to learn and develop many of the skills I have today.Interviewing different people,from academics,over achievers to ordinary students was a good way to develop my communication skills.

Pros

No working on weekends

Productive, professional and peaceful environment

I enjoyed working at UKZN. The hours were flexible as long as your tasks are completed. The environment was peaceful but professional. I have learned how passionate many environmental scientists are about their jobs and one feeds off that positive energy.

Good environment

Excellent working environment. Needs better procedures for student development after graduating but all in all the atmosphere is good and the people are approachable

productive

We work as a team and there is much we learnt, helping students is a most interesting part of the Job. Time management is very important when you are working especial with academics.

Pros

own lunch

Cons

short hours

Complex environment

I'm an academic, in a field that is very short on skills. As a recent, we extremely sort after in practice. The university does not recognise that out in practice we could be earning considerably more. The processes at the university are extremely slow and having worked at a number of other universities I can say that UKZN has very poor performance from its support staff. The support staff that I work with are inefficient and provide little help to the academic. I say this because at other universities support staff are given considerably more work. The promotions policies are extremely archaic, and little allowance is made for an academic wanting to progress on the teaching front. Research is the only thing that really matters. I was promoted from Lecturer to Senior Lecturer only because of my research. Like most academic environments this university to has its fair share of office politics. It is very easy for management to be partial to specific individuals or groups. In addition, BEEE practised very overtly, if you don't meet the requirements this is probably not the place for you. I have found that a lot of colleagues that left UKZN found great success at overseas universities if they are not BEEE compliant. This university serves mainly lower quantile students, thus many students are very weak when compared to other universities in SA. UKZN seems to understand this and is thus very accommodating to students. I suggest that you obtain your PhD and publish before becoming permanent as there is very little time after that.

Pros

flexable work environment

Cons

Weak students; Poor promotions policy, poor support staff

Productive fun environment

managed to gain lots of skills from this organisation. first Amin and secretary experience, financial administration and events coordination. it was and easy place to explore new skills.

Pros

big organisation to explore and grow

Cons

never had an opportunity to be permanent, contracts after contract so there was no stability

Intellectual, competitive, engaging and challenging

1. Engage a wide vatiety of people and a range of HR matters from individual to organisational and from operationalto strategic. 2. Ensure that every solution or initiative is well researched, evidence based and widely consulted with all stakeholders to ensure successful implmentation. 3. Conservative and tradional management syle. 4. Bureaucratic and lengthy processes, slow to adopt change. 5. Obtaining buy-in from academics for your ideas and solutions. 6. Experiencing the feedback of employees at all levels for the successful impact of interventions, ideas and solutions to problems.

Pros

Free tuition for yourself and dependants up to and including PhD

Cons

Impact of student protest action on employees

Fast paced and competitive work environment

Working as a teaching assistant was often very stressful, you are required to work without supervision. The job involved working at several after hour functions that were not included in the paid working hours. The job also required doing a lot of work after hours at home.

Cons

After hour functions that are not included in paid working hours.

Work environment.

UKZN is an extremely good institution to work at.You get a chance to learn,to learn more from your colleagues and the job that you are assigned to do.

I am currently serving as an SRC member for two consecutive terms. It is voluntary and absolutely a beautiful journey for oneself's experience and working with different departments. In most cases, you learn to manage both your school work and your SRC duties which sometimes require one to be a crisis manager and execute yout duties in limited time. All this work is done with no monthly stipend but is the greatest teacher of all time.

Great working environment with alot of culture awareness, support groups , writting places and professional services

Punctuality is excellent Communication service is good Good team work Career orientated and focused Enjoyable working environment Professional and friendly workers

Educational and productive workplace

The University of KwaZulu-Natal provides enough information for the students, in a secured, hygienic and organised environment. This University provides education of higher quality

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Kwazulu-Natal. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,8 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance
3,1 out of 5 stars for Salary/Benefits
3,2 out of 5 stars for Job Security/Advancement
3,6 out of 5 stars for Management
3,7 out of 5 stars for Culture
  • University of Kwazulu-Natal
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?