University of Kwazulu-Natal

University of Kwazulu-Natal Culture reviews

Clear

Productive and enjoyable environment

Ukzn has a very great work environment and helpful co workers who made working there easier and smoother for a beginner. The people there collectively have a strong work ethic and are very helpful and make sure that not only team goals but individual goals are also achieved.

Pros

Free lunch. Fun environment

Cons

Workload

Good environment

Excellent working environment. Needs better procedures for student development after graduating but all in all the atmosphere is good and the people are approachable

productive

We work as a team and there is much we learnt, helping students is a most interesting part of the Job. Time management is very important when you are working especial with academics.

Pros

own lunch

Cons

short hours

Complex environment

I'm an academic, in a field that is very short on skills. As a recent, we extremely sort after in practice. The university does not recognise that out in practice we could be earning considerably more. The processes at the university are extremely slow and having worked at a number of other universities I can say that UKZN has very poor performance from its support staff. The support staff that I work with are inefficient and provide little help to the academic. I say this because at other universities support staff are given considerably more work. The promotions policies are extremely archaic, and little allowance is made for an academic wanting to progress on the teaching front. Research is the only thing that really matters. I was promoted from Lecturer to Senior Lecturer only because of my research. Like most academic environments this university to has its fair share of office politics. It is very easy for management to be partial to specific individuals or groups. In addition, BEEE practised very overtly, if you don't meet the requirements this is probably not the place for you. I have found that a lot of colleagues that left UKZN found great success at overseas universities if they are not BEEE compliant. This university serves mainly lower quantile students, thus many students are very weak when compared to other universities in SA. UKZN seems to understand this and is thus very accommodating to students. I suggest that you obtain your PhD and publish before becoming permanent as there is very little time after that.

Pros

flexable work environment

Cons

Weak students; Poor promotions policy, poor support staff

I am currently serving as an SRC member for two consecutive terms. It is voluntary and absolutely a beautiful journey for oneself's experience and working with different departments. In most cases, you learn to manage both your school work and your SRC duties which sometimes require one to be a crisis manager and execute yout duties in limited time. All this work is done with no monthly stipend but is the greatest teacher of all time.

Good for developing work environment skills and personal growth.

Very stressful work culture. You must be able to work under pressure. Requires good interpersonal, communication, time management, and problem solving skills.

Pros

Developmental

Cons

Stressful

Competitive and Fun

Great job, you get a chance to work with very smart people and great team effort. I learned a lot about the professional field and working with people(students). It gets very busy during the registration period so you have to assist 300+ students per day, but you kind of enjoy the experience because of the great team effort and the support you get from the senior staff.

Productive and Challenging

Challenging, Good communication, Teamwork, Punctuality and Time management. Working on a good and safety environment. Communication was very crucial.

fair and fun

Working fair hours according to the contract agreement and payment. Great workplace culture and a fun working environment to be around. consists of the most honourable management.

Great workplace

This is the place I have most of the skills I have today. It has a great teaching and learning environment. The most enjoyable part of my job was to work with different people under different situations.

Jobs at University of Kwazulu-Natal

See more jobs

Productive and fun

Working at University of KwaZulu Natal was rewarding. There is a lot of room to allow people grow and maximize their potential. Salaries are also paid on time so workers are not stressed up financially. the management is very effective and they have a great workplace culture.

Pros

Fun

Great place to work at

Ukzn has a lovely environment, a great culture and wodernful staff who help in one's skills growth and offers a great place to grow your academic skills while helping others.

This is a productive and empowering institution to study and work at.

Being in an environment with undergraduate students, facilitating course work discussion has been an exciting job and also educative and skills equipping for me. I always looked forward to work because of my love for people and helping them out where possible. In this case, my students were my people. I was also happy about working because I always had something new to learn. As much as my students were learning from me, I was also learning from them. I learnt how to effectively facilitate discussions, how to positively communicating with the public(students) and how to better instil knowledge and understanding of a team. I also learnt how to acknowledge people's differences and work around them to find a common ground that will let the work continue productively and without any conflict. My work culture was, to be disciplined. That means, be punctual, dress appropriately, meet your work deadlines and do your duties. The hardest part of the job was to deal with students who were emotionally imbalanced due to personal circumstances that seemed to be impacting on their performances. At the time, were we not trained to do this. However, because I love helping people, I found a way to manage these situations and also referred students to an external body that was better equipped than I was to deal with critical social and personal issues facing students.

Brain drain

Poor work ethic in staff with very poor management and senior expertise. No job advancement possible due to political appointments. Culture in university not condusive for research or clinical excellence.

Amazing work place

It's the best place to work at and the people there are very good to work with. Honestly it is been the most amazing place to work at. It is fun and exciting

Pros

Lunch

Cons

I need to grow from my work and face new challenges. i have work in a same company for a long period of time with no growth. Change is good. The culture is good and environment is good. I work with different type of race which is very nice get to learn different races

Pros

1 hour

Cons

non

It nice to work under university environment, you keep your networking with highly experienced colleagues. You experience different challenges from various students

Challenging, changing and growing workplace with fun and great culture.

A typical day at work would require me to meet with students based on their availability (students that replied to an email stating they are required to see an AADO for academic counselling). I ask them questions and try find out why they performance academically is poor and then provide them with necessary support structures available to help them. They are then monitored throughout the year. I have learnt alot working people and evaluating each individuals case and providing each person with the required help to better themselves. The management team helps alot in terms of supporting your request to put in place more support structures you think might be beneficial to students. The culture is not as fun given we work alot and have little to no time of interacting with others excepts the students. It a high paced environment and work comes in loads as there are alot to be completed comes end of the year.

Pros

Access to all department resources

Cons

Little pay, put in more hours than what you are paid for.

work place

i enjoy working with people and sharing knowledge. I also appreciate an open environment where people are free and able to discuss about their environment.

productive

I learned to persevere and work under pressure. I learned to collaborate with people from different departments and arrange for mutual collaboration. I learned to negotiate.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

no break at all

Workplace Life

The University os a highly diverse environment where cultures meet and a promotion of great collegiality. The management style is promotes innovation and growth of staff.

Pros

High standard

Cons

pressure to meet standard

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Kwazulu-Natal. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• University of Kwazulu-Natal