University of Kwazulu-Natal

University of Kwazulu-Natal Job Security & Advancement reviews

Clear
3.2Job Security & Advancement

Opportunity for career growth

Excellent place for Career growth and personal development. Highly recommended for young researchers who need mentors. Especially if you want to make impact in your field of specialisation.

Good place to learn and kick start your career

Working here was a good way to learn and develop many of the skills I have today.Interviewing different people,from academics,over achievers to ordinary students was a good way to develop my communication skills.

Pros

No working on weekends

Productive, professional and peaceful environment

I enjoyed working at UKZN. The hours were flexible as long as your tasks are completed. The environment was peaceful but professional. I have learned how passionate many environmental scientists are about their jobs and one feeds off that positive energy.

Good environment

Excellent working environment. Needs better procedures for student development after graduating but all in all the atmosphere is good and the people are approachable

Complex environment

I'm an academic, in a field that is very short on skills. As a recent, we extremely sort after in practice. The university does not recognise that out in practice we could be earning considerably more. The processes at the university are extremely slow and having worked at a number of other universities I can say that UKZN has very poor performance from its support staff. The support staff that I work with are inefficient and provide little help to the academic. I say this because at other universities support staff are given considerably more work. The promotions policies are extremely archaic, and little allowance is made for an academic wanting to progress on the teaching front. Research is the only thing that really matters. I was promoted from Lecturer to Senior Lecturer only because of my research. Like most academic environments this university to has its fair share of office politics. It is very easy for management to be partial to specific individuals or groups. In addition, BEEE practised very overtly, if you don't meet the requirements this is probably not the place for you. I have found that a lot of colleagues that left UKZN found great success at overseas universities if they are not BEEE compliant. This university serves mainly lower quantile students, thus many students are very weak when compared to other universities in SA. UKZN seems to understand this and is thus very accommodating to students. I suggest that you obtain your PhD and publish before becoming permanent as there is very little time after that.

Pros

flexable work environment

Cons

Weak students; Poor promotions policy, poor support staff

Productive fun environment

managed to gain lots of skills from this organisation. first Amin and secretary experience, financial administration and events coordination. it was and easy place to explore new skills.

Pros

big organisation to explore and grow

Cons

never had an opportunity to be permanent, contracts after contract so there was no stability

Work environment.

UKZN is an extremely good institution to work at.You get a chance to learn,to learn more from your colleagues and the job that you are assigned to do.

Great working environment with alot of culture awareness, support groups , writting places and professional services

Punctuality is excellent Communication service is good Good team work Career orientated and focused Enjoyable working environment Professional and friendly workers

Productive and fun place

It was a great workplace and very productive, I acquired a lot of skills. My supervisor was pleasant to work with including the professors. Time management and the ability to work under pressure was important. I enjoyed doing research and assisting my supervisor in drawing up proposals.

Working at University of Kwazulu-Natal is a fantastics experience. It gave me the privilege to develop both my lecturing and research skills. Serving in some organisations also broaden my horizon.

Jobs at University of Kwazulu-Natal

See more jobs

fair and fun

Working fair hours according to the contract agreement and payment. Great workplace culture and a fun working environment to be around. consists of the most honourable management.

It is a great place for growth.

It was a wonderful experience for me, working with senior lecturers that have thought me before. I have learned a lot and I am forever thankful for the great experience.

Pros

Working with senior lecturers that thought me before.

Cons

It was a contract

Productive and fun

Working at University of KwaZulu Natal was rewarding. There is a lot of room to allow people grow and maximize their potential. Salaries are also paid on time so workers are not stressed up financially. the management is very effective and they have a great workplace culture.

Pros

Fun

Great changes

Starting my student life at ukzn, has changed me considerably for the best. The year of myself being the class representative has matured me in ways in which I can only demonstrate.

Good experience

I had a good experience working at UKZN. The working environment was a healthy one and conducive for me to perform at the utmost best of my abilities.

Great place to work at

Ukzn has a lovely environment, a great culture and wodernful staff who help in one's skills growth and offers a great place to grow your academic skills while helping others.

Collaborative and productive

I gained a lots of experience, being an academic tutor while studying thought to work under pressure. My colleagues were very helpful, we worked great.

Not bad

Just some nice experience and very informative one. So if you’re looking for experience it’s best to apply at University of KwaZulu-Natal for Demonstrating positions

Great learning experience

The organisation provided extensive support to tutors and also assisted us in areas of difficulty. Very challenging as I was a student too but very rewarding.

Overall a good workplace

UKZN has its ups and downs. Your growth and development is based on who you work under and/ or mentored by. Some staff do not like to share their knowledge or assist, whereas others do so freely.

Productive work environment

It was quiet interesting working for them. Even though I worked part time, pay was not bad at all considering that I was working 2 days a month. Working for this institution was very enriching and it improved my teaching skills.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Kwazulu-Natal. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• University of Kwazulu-Natal
  • Job Security & Advancement
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?