University of Kwazulu-Natal

University of Kwazulu-Natal Management reviews

Clear

productive

We work as a team and there is much we learnt, helping students is a most interesting part of the Job. Time management is very important when you are working especial with academics.

Pros

own lunch

Cons

short hours

Complex environment

I'm an academic, in a field that is very short on skills. As a recent, we extremely sort after in practice. The university does not recognise that out in practice we could be earning considerably more. The processes at the university are extremely slow and having worked at a number of other universities I can say that UKZN has very poor performance from its support staff. The support staff that I work with are inefficient and provide little help to the academic. I say this because at other universities support staff are given considerably more work. The promotions policies are extremely archaic, and little allowance is made for an academic wanting to progress on the teaching front. Research is the only thing that really matters. I was promoted from Lecturer to Senior Lecturer only because of my research. Like most academic environments this university to has its fair share of office politics. It is very easy for management to be partial to specific individuals or groups. In addition, BEEE practised very overtly, if you don't meet the requirements this is probably not the place for you. I have found that a lot of colleagues that left UKZN found great success at overseas universities if they are not BEEE compliant. This university serves mainly lower quantile students, thus many students are very weak when compared to other universities in SA. UKZN seems to understand this and is thus very accommodating to students. I suggest that you obtain your PhD and publish before becoming permanent as there is very little time after that.

Pros

flexable work environment

Cons

Weak students; Poor promotions policy, poor support staff

Intellectual, competitive, engaging and challenging

1. Engage a wide vatiety of people and a range of HR matters from individual to organisational and from operationalto strategic. 2. Ensure that every solution or initiative is well researched, evidence based and widely consulted with all stakeholders to ensure successful implmentation. 3. Conservative and tradional management syle. 4. Bureaucratic and lengthy processes, slow to adopt change. 5. Obtaining buy-in from academics for your ideas and solutions. 6. Experiencing the feedback of employees at all levels for the successful impact of interventions, ideas and solutions to problems.

Pros

Free tuition for yourself and dependants up to and including PhD

Cons

Impact of student protest action on employees

Productive and fun place

It was a great workplace and very productive, I acquired a lot of skills. My supervisor was pleasant to work with including the professors. Time management and the ability to work under pressure was important. I enjoyed doing research and assisting my supervisor in drawing up proposals.

Good for developing work environment skills and personal growth.

Very stressful work culture. You must be able to work under pressure. Requires good interpersonal, communication, time management, and problem solving skills.

Pros

Developmental

Cons

Stressful

It had a stressful day where i had to mark 100 scripts for final students in the department of Educational Psychology. I learnt the competence in meeting deadlines. The management encourages team work. The harder past of the job was marking of a lot of scripts and submitting the test scores under pressure.

Pros

Free breakfast

Cons

Short breaks

Productive and Challenging

Challenging, Good communication, Teamwork, Punctuality and Time management. Working on a good and safety environment. Communication was very crucial.

fair and fun

Working fair hours according to the contract agreement and payment. Great workplace culture and a fun working environment to be around. consists of the most honourable management.

Productive and fun

Working at University of KwaZulu Natal was rewarding. There is a lot of room to allow people grow and maximize their potential. Salaries are also paid on time so workers are not stressed up financially. the management is very effective and they have a great workplace culture.

Pros

Fun

Intellectually stimulating environment

- The company has a good program of integrating its own students into employment. However, Empowerment of employees is only for that of permanent staff. - I developed so much a researcher, and it allowed me to shape my report writing skills. Thought provoking and always made you think outside the box. Data collection and analysis was the norm. - What I learned is better communication, being able to explain a curtain thing in different ways to accommodate everyone. Time management is also one of the thing I learned since I had to organize sessions for them and be the first person in the venue. - The work has also enabled me to work not only with people, but to be accommodating of various personalities as well adaptive of peculiar situations. It has also taught me accountability as the work I did was also directly correlated to someone else's livelihood.

Jobs at University of Kwazulu-Natal

See more jobs

professional work place where one is allowed to grow and develop

The university is a a calm environment where one can learn and grow . a typical day is relaxed and calm however on some occasions when one is against time the pressure is inevitable. i learned how to work with people particularly in a project and understand different people and different approaches they take in working. The management was ok well organised very professional. There was no difficult part because i had become accustomed to it. However the most demanding physically in part was harvesting and collecting data/

Brain drain

Poor work ethic in staff with very poor management and senior expertise. No job advancement possible due to political appointments. Culture in university not condusive for research or clinical excellence.

formative and educational experience

Lecturers and the management were the best, there more you engage with students, there more you enhance your teaching skills and learning more new things. Undergraduate can be handful and playful at times but i always remind them about the main reason of being in University and they start to behave

Pros

gaining knowledge

Cons

long hours of tutoring

Exciting and Knowledgeable

Help students understand the topics in the module, providing solutions to problems they have regarding the module. What I learned is better communication, being able to explain a curtain thing in different ways to accommodate everyone. Time management is also one of the thing I learned since I had to organize sessions for them and be the first person in the venue. The hardest part about the Job was having to discipline students by kicking them out of class if they are misbehaving and some of them became defensive since we are almost the same age. The enjoyable part of the job was getting working experience and some extra income.

Pros

extra cash

Cons

less material

Challenging, changing and growing workplace with fun and great culture.

A typical day at work would require me to meet with students based on their availability (students that replied to an email stating they are required to see an AADO for academic counselling). I ask them questions and try find out why they performance academically is poor and then provide them with necessary support structures available to help them. They are then monitored throughout the year. I have learnt alot working people and evaluating each individuals case and providing each person with the required help to better themselves. The management team helps alot in terms of supporting your request to put in place more support structures you think might be beneficial to students. The culture is not as fun given we work alot and have little to no time of interacting with others excepts the students. It a high paced environment and work comes in loads as there are alot to be completed comes end of the year.

Pros

Access to all department resources

Cons

Little pay, put in more hours than what you are paid for.

productive and fun work place

the management is very strict which was good because it teaches you how to be professional gained real life experience able to develop working skills and leadership skills hardest part was dealing with incompetent co workers

Pros

free lunches

Cons

a lot of free overtime work

Workplace Life

The University os a highly diverse environment where cultures meet and a promotion of great collegiality. The management style is promotes innovation and growth of staff.

Pros

High standard

Cons

pressure to meet standard

Productive and conducive

The management is very good and most enjoyable environment to learn and gain experience. However, the most challenging thing is working with first level undergraduate students who are not exposed to the methods and lab apparatus

Productive work place

At s a tutor and a tutor from the University of KwaZulu-Natal i have gained data analysis skills, communication, leadership and time management skills

Pros

Exposure to Data analysis workshop

Cons

Time Management

Productive and fun workplace

Every day was enjoyable sharing information with students is what l enjoy the most. Reaching on time in work and respect your job, do it fully. Management was good because everything was set accordingly and no complains from us or in the management. Workplace culture was good and always maintained. The race of the students was different and other were trying to show they know better and they are the privileged one. The most enjoyable part is when we understood each other and show some love for what we do.

Pros

No free lunches

Cons

Short hours

Flexible working environment

Time management is up to the individual, which is ideal if you want to conduct research whilst also maintaining your employment. The workplace environment is a relaxing one that encourages independence whilst offering guidance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Kwazulu-Natal. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• University of Kwazulu-Natal
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?