UNIVERSITY OF LIMPOPO

UNIVERSITY OF LIMPOPO Employee Reviews for Laboratory Assistant

Be willing and eager to learn and grow in your area of expertise, university of Limpopo creates that environment for growth. Although it's an academic field that most would find competitive, it is a good place to start and gain experience.
Working at the laboratory at the university of Limpopo was fulfilling and opened more opportunities for me . I was able to work with a team of colleagues that were work oriented and goal focused.
I was helping the students to perform various practicals on their daily basis. We would arrive an hour before to make sure the equipment and the chemicals are well placed.It was hard when we had to study so that we can answer the students accordingly when they ask questions more especially because i was still a student my self. what i have learned is to work with people, and to always be active and ready to answer questions.
This was a student job. Helps to settle fees however it's a stepping stone to expirience how the work environment feels like and learn to report to someone.
It was good working there as i have learned many things about laboratory work and chemical analysis. The management was very encouraging every day and they taught me lot of things. i mostly enjoyed when i had to prepare solutions and demonstrate practicals for first-year students
It has the most dedicated workers who are willing to help students in building their experience and expertise. Build team work, time management skills and experience with science field.
Pros
Hands on practical experience
Cons
I was a student at that time. It was fun, my boss was everything. She understood us and our reasoning. It was all about experience and she mentored us very well.
Pros
experience
Cons
during my time as a lab assistant at the university of Limpopo, i learned to work as group and always rely on myself. punctuality is the main priority in any working field.
Pros
gaining ex[perience
Cons
not getting paid accordingly
working in the laboratory of University of limpopo was a great adventure as i was able to interact with different people and work together with them. It is always great guiding people what to do and what to expect, i as an assistant i was guiding first year entering students on what to do and what no to do in order to get accurate and precise results. I learned how to keep the lab clean and safety procedures to follow when mixing chemicals and when entering the lab. For example when mixing water and acid, u have to pour acid before the water. Chemistry is magic, the enjoyable part is mixing of chemicals and reaching your product, watching the chemical reaction take place is just so fascinating.
Pros
free drnks when marking practical examination scripts
the place was so good, I enjoyed every moment at the university, because was my first job. I learned lot from the job, the most enjoyable place ever, wow.
Pros
no lunch
Cons
short hours
A typical day at work involved going to the laboratory early to prepare practical equipment. Making sure that the apparatus are working and are in good condition. I learned how to engage with people, how to be a firm and cooperative team leader. The management encouraged hardwork. The job was not hard at all . The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to share your knowledge and understanding with others and also getting to learn from them.
Pros
Engaging with different people and learning from them.
Cons
dealing with apparatus that do not work and being expected to finish practical sessions in time.
As a postgraduate student we are granted an opportunity to as assist in the lab especially during undergraduate practical. Assisting in the lab has enabled me to acquire many skills and knowledge which also helped me when conducting my honours project, I have learned things such as proper use of lab equipment: centrifuge, HPLC, MALDI-Tof biotyper, handling of laboratory samples, how to autoclave and etc. The lab has proper management since there is an assigned senior lab assistant and technicians who gives instructions on how to go about each days' work. The workplace culture is very easy to adopt, everyone is friendly and all of us working together with a goal to make the objectives of the day a success. The challenging part was when one has to manage the time of assisting in the lab and also making time to conduct the research on the side. The fun part was when we get to learn new things everyday and learning to work independently as well as teams.
Pros
production of food
Cons
larger group management of undergraduates
I mostly enjoyed the lab assistance as I love science studies. The longer gb hours slaving with the lamb are worth it. The more knowledge acquired the more I wanted to know more. Working at the lab as an assistant helped with what and how lab equipments work and the dynamics of working in the lab. Facilitating practical was probably the most educational activity at the workplace as I understand the concepts better over time. Before each practical the activities were prepared and the content of the practicals were reviewed by the lab assistant which gave further knowledge. The pay was notch but the experience was galore. Having to manage a class of students and facilitate them increased my social management skills.Overall all it takes is hard work and dedication, with a dash of thinking outside the box.
Pros
Exposure to different social problems
Cons
In a nutshell, helping first entering students by giving them advices on how to cope with university stress and balancing their workload while assisting them during the practicals is far the most honorable thing i ever did. Basically what I do is to assist them during their practical sessions with dissections, drawing, microscopy and lot of things concerning the work at hand, and the hardest part of which is that I'm always expected to be a few steps ahead of them in terms of knowledge and intellectuality because sometimes that is not feasible.
Pros
workplace exposure
Cons
hard work with litlle compensation
To help student make extra income while gaining Work experience and prepare them for the corporate world.
My typical day involves interacting with students of different levels of study since I look after all Labs. With such interaction comes huge responsibility because you are required to be skilled in many programming languages for you to be able to assist everyone who wishes to be assisted. I have co-operative co-workers who make working a lot more fun and safer because they are willing to also assist when one struggles. I have learned how to work with people of different backgrounds in general and steps to take when you fully want to understand a persons problem before fully helping them.
Pros
learning of new things
Cons
night shifts
I gain lot of experince to work in a lab and im very good with chemistry analysis and familiar with analytical instruments.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
the day to day was great and we worked as a single unit with my co workers,the best moments were the experimental part. the company is a great work place for starters
Pros
gained public speech confidence
Cons
fun but challenging workplace. it is not about the money you earn but about having experience and learning to work with othres. very small workplace and one learns to be responsible and respectful
Pros
field trips
Cons
time consuming
Going to work entailed me going to the lab, from 14:00 to 17:00 from monday to thursday. I interacted with a lot of students daily which sharpened my communication skills. Some of my co-workers were classmates and that made it easy for us to work together. Whenever we had arguments our junior assistant would intervene and we would reconcile. The most difficult part of the job was having to balance school work with working because I was also a student. Seeing those students pass their practical exam was the most enjoyable part of the job. Knowing I helped them achieve a goal gave me, the feeling was priceless.
Day at work vary in accordance to amount of work on hand but typically it's moderate to tiring. There everyday routine carried of presenting about practical to be carried out during the day or week, the management of work and laboratory is very easy as is done as team with co-workers, Problems and tasks are handed and a suitable approach is discussed within co-worker. This job sometimes require working after hours and making sure that all students practical reports and quizzes are marked to find out about students progress and knowledge about their practicals, the good part about this job is being amongst people who ideas and knowledge are shared and also it is a good work experience that allow an individual to grow and plan for the future.
Pros
good productive working environment