UNIVERSITY OF LIMPOPO

UNIVERSITY OF LIMPOPO Employee Reviews for Lecturer

You have to plan your schedule and set targets for yourself. As a new organization it had a lot of challenges requiring learning on your toes with no proper structure. In other words it was a space of an employee to be part of formulating proper working structure and constantly monitoring and evaluating progress.
The working culture for me needed to be worked on so that we all benefit and not only certain individual.i taught modules I never trained for. I was never inducted in to the institution even after several attempts to do do. I totally felt I am not coping with the learn as you go mentality that prevailed there. However. Finally as my specialization space started I was burnt out. I chose to leave. Rest for three months and being to look for the job I love most.
It is a good environment for enhancing new skills such as teaching, writing, communication and presentation skills. Management is helpful in ensuring resources are made available for the smooth running of projects and lecturing.
Pros
National and international conferences
Cons
no job security for postdoctoral fellows
one has to mange well consultations with students and in the mean time have to conduct classes and not delay. Research is good and very interesting.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
working under pressure sometimes
I have my classes before lunch and after lunch I use that time for practical sessions with student which I enjoy very much. the hardest part of the job is having classes or invigilation on weekends. management wise our department was fine until they put someone who is not in our field as a hod.
I am currently studying completion of my PhD at University of Limpopo and looking forward to graduate in September 2017. The staff and management are hard working and motivating.
The one thing that brings fulfilment is being able to bring new knowledge and share it with my students. The vibrancy and thirst for knowledge and challenging questions from my students keeps me on my toes. The management style is a bit of a challenge as well as the laissez-faire approach to staff development. The laidback conducive atmosphere to studying is ruined by the constant change from lecturing one course to another.
Cons
Absent sabbatical policy
The University of Limpopo is an extremely rigid place with old policies which have not been adjusted to encourage career advancement within academia. The workload is high with large classes of 400 per module and the process to be followed in order for one to go for training too cumbersome and complicated. There is no sharing of information and each co-worker operates as an individual and due to the workload it is difficult to have sufficient time dedicated to research and publications.
Cons
Cumbersome processes
i prepare for class, go and teach; Work on my research Have consultations with students Do administrative work
Pros
exposure to knowlwdge sharing and gathering
Cons
unfair staff member benefits
I teach Agricultural Marketing to a class of 85 students. The experience is exciting and educational. The Job enhances my public speaking skills and also builds my confidence.
Pros
Free internet and printing services
Cons
Marking is quiet hectic beacause the calss is big
half seven moning classess with, preparations for the following day lessons and students consultation as well as research. hadling more two task at a go at work. students are different and at times you will different approaches in helping them. at times you face big classes which need a well outlined management approach to avoid chaos in class and during tests. co-wporkers have good human relation! even though one will have to understand that different people imply different characters. marking of scripts, especialy when you have more than 250 to 300 students. being with satudents and helping each to improve the learning process. debates, presentation and evaluating the process of learning
Pros
more flexible time to plan your work
Cons
work overlap to family time
it was very fun indeed but it ws nt easy to handle them ,as i tried my best to do the best job,i started create a bond with my students and it was great to teach them .
Pros
i normally work on lunch preparing my self for the lecturer for my students
Cons
everyday when the practical its done i have to sit in the lab alone marking their scripts.