UNIVERSITY OF LIMPOPO

UNIVERSITY OF LIMPOPO Employee Reviews

I had a nice time there, learnt a lot from different cultures in the university community and how they do things. As an outsider from the province I had to learn quickly to adjust to their way of doing things and also introduce new things from my experience and bring change where necessary. Basically, I had to balance things between students, staff and outside community. Overall, it was a good experience for me and I achieved my goals with limited resources and financial support.
Pros
Long Holidays
Cons
Long hours, no payment for overtime.
it is very hard to work long hours but it is quite a good experience from my experience am able to say i can work on more than one duty per day looking a the possible outcomes.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hurs
very organised workplace with things always planned ahead. diverse and group of people who work there; very safe environment, easy to navigate around the buildings.
It is a good environment for enhancing new skills such as teaching, writing, communication and presentation skills. Management is helpful in ensuring resources are made available for the smooth running of projects and lecturing.
Pros
National and international conferences
Cons
no job security for postdoctoral fellows
It's good to work with people and students. One should be open-minded about the rurality of the institution. It can deter an urban and technologically savvy young mind. However, Quiet is good for writing
Pros
rurality and tranquility can be good for increased productivity
Cons
negative attitudes of people can dampen work ethic and productivity. dinosaur mentality must fall
working in the laboratory of University of limpopo was a great adventure as i was able to interact with different people and work together with them. It is always great guiding people what to do and what to expect, i as an assistant i was guiding first year entering students on what to do and what no to do in order to get accurate and precise results. I learned how to keep the lab clean and safety procedures to follow when mixing chemicals and when entering the lab. For example when mixing water and acid, u have to pour acid before the water. Chemistry is magic, the enjoyable part is mixing of chemicals and reaching your product, watching the chemical reaction take place is just so fascinating.
Pros
free drnks when marking practical examination scripts
Lecturer in Agricultural economics and researcher in rural development projects especially farming projects. Involved with various community development projects.
Pros
Opportunity for improving qualifications
Cons
Student protests
It is a productive place where i get to learn about aspects related to my profession and feel fulfilled and benefit from the experience. The working environment is conducive fro one to work in.
Pros
Free Lunches and learning new aspects related to my profession
Cons
Long Hours
Accomplished communications specialist offering both corporate and marketing communication skills that are vital to driving corporate revenue through building and maintaining stakeholders’ satisfaction. Leverages exemplary communication and in-person meetings to establish a presence and build a positive brand while fostering continuous client engagement. Adept at working effectively to achieve goals both as a cross-functional team member and individual contributor. Thus, I am a creative and dynamic marketer with expertise in consistently penetrating new markets to ensure sustainable growth.
the working environment was excellent. i leaned to work under pressure, team management and punctuality enjoyed setting up experimental equipment. i worked with students doing their first year in chemistry, teaching them the experimental procedure was the best part of this job because along the lines i also learnt a few things. i acquired good communication skills and team work.
Pros
self evaluation
Cons
short breaks
one has to mange well consultations with students and in the mean time have to conduct classes and not delay. Research is good and very interesting.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
working under pressure sometimes
the place was so good, I enjoyed every moment at the university, because was my first job. I learned lot from the job, the most enjoyable place ever, wow.
Pros
no lunch
Cons
short hours
University of Limpopo is an institution that focuses on student excellence.There is a vast majority of causes that one can take up to assist in their future activities.
Pros
Good place to study
Cons
long distance from home
The organisation is reputable although the salary is the most discouraging factor, the overall culture of the company is people driven and there is room for growth.
Pros
Room for personal growth
Cons
Very low salary
I would like to work at a place where there is productivity and enjoyable, I worked multiple positions, training, coordinator and manager. You cant choose a culture at a workplace you simply learn the culture of the people you work with. There is no hardest part in a job, cause you simply go along with your work no matter how hard it is. Is to know your job very well and get along with your fellow workers
Pros
what ever is offered is ok
Cons
anything is fine
A typical day at work involved going to the laboratory early to prepare practical equipment. Making sure that the apparatus are working and are in good condition. I learned how to engage with people, how to be a firm and cooperative team leader. The management encouraged hardwork. The job was not hard at all . The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to share your knowledge and understanding with others and also getting to learn from them.
Pros
Engaging with different people and learning from them.
Cons
dealing with apparatus that do not work and being expected to finish practical sessions in time.
Working long hours Learned to work well with people Is safest environment Culture is more dependable Working with extra time Using computer mostly typing using word or excel
Pros
buy your lunch
Cons
extra hours
Working at the company was a great experience in the sense that you get to learn new experiments that gives you a better understanding of human biology, however; challenging to lack equipment
Pros
making every experiment possible even in hard times
Cons
lack of equipment
I have my classes before lunch and after lunch I use that time for practical sessions with student which I enjoy very much. the hardest part of the job is having classes or invigilation on weekends. management wise our department was fine until they put someone who is not in our field as a hod.
As a postgraduate student we are granted an opportunity to as assist in the lab especially during undergraduate practical. Assisting in the lab has enabled me to acquire many skills and knowledge which also helped me when conducting my honours project, I have learned things such as proper use of lab equipment: centrifuge, HPLC, MALDI-Tof biotyper, handling of laboratory samples, how to autoclave and etc. The lab has proper management since there is an assigned senior lab assistant and technicians who gives instructions on how to go about each days' work. The workplace culture is very easy to adopt, everyone is friendly and all of us working together with a goal to make the objectives of the day a success. The challenging part was when one has to manage the time of assisting in the lab and also making time to conduct the research on the side. The fun part was when we get to learn new things everyday and learning to work independently as well as teams.
Pros
production of food
Cons
larger group management of undergraduates
I was a student at this time, training to become a Librarian during this time I learnt, cataloguing, classification of books according to dewey decimal classification, library administration and information literacy.