University of Pretoria

University of Pretoria Employee Reviews

South Africa385 reviews

3,9Work-Life Balance

Productive and fun

The work load can be a lot but you will have very supportive management and team, the work environment is fun and the office has a great view of the outdoors.

Pros

Supportive management

Cons

Stressful sometimes

Okay to put on your CV

It was okay but I had to quit for my mental health and because I didn't receive a promotion after years of serving as a tutor. I enjoyed interacting with students.

Good and secure job

The salary and job security is great. Unfortunately office politics and micromanagement is a problem. Including other work activities not disclosed in interviews or job placements are also an issue

Great

Awesome place to study at. The view is nice and I have spent a lot of time there. It was an amazing experience and I enjoyed it immensely.Some lectures need to be serious about the work but otherwise good.

Pros

People

Cons

Children

It was a learning journey for me and it helped me improve as a person to achieve more goals in life and career wise when COVID came it was a whole new expiriance

Good working environment with the capacity to grow

Worked as a teaching assistant/tutor for a programming module for engineers. Good hours and the rates are market related. I was given the freedom to be able to instil my knowledge of programming to students who needed help and ultimately make the module enjoyable to them. The lecturer in charge of the department and module was fair but also challenged us.

Loved the working experience provided

I worked at the library which was fun and easy to do. It gave me skills that I can continue to use in my research work. I had shifts where I worked one day and 9ne day off.

Pros

Short hours

Fun workplace

There is a balance between work and social life. The management is really relatable and there is room for great growth, the exposure is really beneficial

Entirely academic work as expected

Working with students for practicals. You need to prepare well for the practicals prior, both the theoretical and physical preparation of the working area.

Pros

Relaxed type of work, 3 times a week

The staff is hostile

Work life balance is good but the staff is so hostile, there is a big divide, racially and otherwise. Management also does not take care of its ployees, no collaboration

Good student part-time job

I really enjoyed this as a student. The hours were flexible and they provided transport to the campus where I taught as a tutor/teaching assistant.You are paid according to how many completed degrees you have (bachelors, honours, masters etc) so my pay was relatively low since I only had a bachelors at the time. I was paid per hour. But I still appreciated my senior lecturers and colleagues.

Pros

Free transport, relaxed environment.

Excellent place

Lots of admin related work. My senior lecturer was really helpful and they assisted us with career advice especially. Invaluable skills learnt here, best two years of my life.

Productive & Supportive

Productive. Staff is always friendly, cooperative hardworking and supportive. Management adopts an open-door policy. Agenda adhered to at meetings.

Pros

Na

Cons

Na

Productive and Fun!

Amazing University. I highly recommend it. Friendly management and staff. It was more like a family, I enjoyed myself from the get-go to the end. The pay is good too.

A great company to gain experience to entry level jobs as a student. Great exposure to professional work environment.

The work environment exposed me to fast paced environment that challanged my professional development and customer service skills. The company culture embraces diversity and a compepetive salary is also offered depending on level of education.

Productive and Social Environment

A very great working culture has been developed at the university that makes you excited to attend. Great collaborations take place between different faculties.

Great all round experience

Great working environment.Lots of development opportunities.Well-run administration and support.25 days leave.Hybrid work model.Plenty of personal development oppertunities

A great place for a young person to work.

The University of Pretoria is the best employer I have had thus far. The work culture is that of being focused on deliverables. If you can deliver what is expected of you in the allocated timeframe, nobody bothers you. The work that I do is very structured and my line manager is very supportive. The University is still trying to find itself in terms of transformation, however, one is not made to feel like an outsider. The senior leadership team stresses quality in the service delivery to students but also stresses the importance of employees being healthy and happy. I highly recommend the university as an employer. One always feels appreciated and that there is a plan in place for high-performing employees.

Pros

Positive work culture Well maintained buildings and facilities Employee wellness is a priority

Cons

Some employees still have gripes regarding transformation, diversity and inclusivity.

Productive place

It is a good environment to work in. Stuff is friendly and helpful and the management as a whole. Your mental health is priorotised and you are allowed to take off days.

Pros

Free coffee

productive and perfect workplace

There working environment is positive and perfect, there is always a team work and everyone is friendly. even though the is too much workload we always make sure that the target is reached on time. what i enjoyed most is the effectiveness of the team work.

Pros

tea equipment

Cons

managable hours

A good blend of academic and non-academic environments

Interestng and varied work. The multi-campus environment gave opportunities to work in diffferent physical and cultural environments. Overall a good place.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Pretoria. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,9 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance