University of Pretoria

University of Pretoria Employee Reviews

South Africa351 reviews
Job experience
It is a great institution to work for.
They have a great working environment which is fair and efficient.The staff of the institution are always willing to help with any enquires.
3,0
Flexible working hours all year round
This was a part time position where I was involved with teaching, mentoring and coaching students. The hardest part of the job was having to deal with demotivated students and dealing with the remnants of the legacy of apartheid in the workplace.
Pros
Flexibility, room for further personal growth and development
Cons
Race politics are deeply entrenched in the system
Good good space
Colleagues were friendly whilst the work space was well organised and neat. The laboratory practicals were well thought out. All required information was easily accessible.
4,0
Rigid . Slow paced transformation...
Great facilities and resources but employee wellness need to be taken seriously. On the issue of benefits and reduction of employee attrition...instead of promising the employees that should they die..you will give their beneficiaries up to 7 times their annual salary.How does that decision assist the employee's financial situation at present? Why can't you give the seventh annual salary to the employee while still alive...Ijoh!
5,0
Productive and fun place to work
I gave me a bit of extra income during my study period. It also cemented my knowledge on the wide range of topics that i assisted on. Had 6 hours per week and this was sufficient for my needs
Great place
top university and the largest contact university in South Africa. We produce socially impactful research to find solutions for the world’s most pressing issues.
4,0
Productive, calm and challenging work space.
You are guaranteed to grow both professionally and socially. Contributing to student development gives self fulfillment. You have access to facilities that contribute to your continuous career development.
Collaborative and Diverse Workplace
Being a Language and Study Skills tutor gave me invaluable experience and learning opportunities. Even though the work load was heavy and we had to work hard to meet deadlines, the collaborative spirit between all staff members, regardless of rank, made this a very positive experience for me.
3,0
Productive and good working envirronment
it is a 8 to 5 typical working hours. With a lot of opportunities and career development. Workplace culture is on average.

Management supports the workers
Fun and Fast-paced environment
Great place to work at. The team is very fun to be a part. The boss is also excellent and will do whatever to ensure his team members are happy with there situations.
Pros
On campus
Cons
Could interfere with studies at times
2,0
Good place but bad culture
oppressive management style and micro-managing which is not conducive for innovation and growth. opportunities for growth available but discriminatory systems used to select.
progressive and intuitive
Working at Tuks is nice, there is a lot to learn, the experience is not relaxing, rather it keeps you on your toes. A day at work begins in the morning till late afternoon during this hours, you are confronted by clients with different computer problems as well as problems related but outside the scope of work, though the case, every clients problem needs to be tend to with the right solution or recommendation. Everyday offering services to different people of different characters and background, more than solving IT related problems, there is a lot of learning that happens about dealing with different personalities. When the goal is to solve every clients problem the most enjoyable part of the day comes when you have managed to solve a problem and learned something new.
fun workplace, productive
a typical day at work would be to show up at the clinic and counsel students who wanted to test. It has taught me to listen better and pay attention to detail. the workplace was friendly and productive making it easy to do your job. We were managed properly and could raise concerns freely with the management. The hardest part of the job was juggling both the job and my academics. helping people and making connections was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Educational
Job required assisting the professor with teaching duties. Great opportunity to engage with students and figure out ways to best convey knowledge. Environment was enjoyable and stimulated learning.
Good student atmosphere
Facilities were made avaliable to us students so that we could work together on our projects, Our lecturer was very helpful and made sure that we were treated farily by EPI-USE Africa.
Great learning experience
The law clinic offers great insight into the world of work in the legal field. a definite must for any law student aspiring to practice after graduation.
5,0
productive workplace with good leaders
a good place to grow and learn to the fullest. The school teaches you how to be innovative and show good discipline skills. I was given an opportunity to manage and solve real-life problems faced every day by our community
3,0
Lack of develpment of staff,
Management biased and unfair and mostly racist.No development of staff, no job growth as there is no promotion, difficulty in applying for studies financial aid , going back to biased management style
Stressful and competitive
Working here has given me a great advantage of learning many aspects of the industry however because it is a learning institute the feedback from clients can be skewed as most of them are professors and doctors. Not a very trusting environment to work in
5,0
Productive and flexible working place
i would recommend the university to other people. Had flexible working hours, the campus is nice and clean with a beautiful land and clean land scape.
3,0
Low salary, good for students to get extra cash
A lot of work with promise of a specific salary which was then mostly deducted. Took months to recieve said salary and felt very informal. Was however, a student at the time
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Pretoria. Our community is ready to answer.
4,1