University of Pretoria

Clear
3,9Work-Life Balance
3,8Culture

Productive and fun

The work load can be a lot but you will have very supportive management and team, the work environment is fun and the office has a great view of the outdoors.

Pros

Supportive management

Cons

Stressful sometimes

Good and secure job

The salary and job security is great. Unfortunately office politics and micromanagement is a problem. Including other work activities not disclosed in interviews or job placements are also an issue

Excellent place

Lots of admin related work. My senior lecturer was really helpful and they assisted us with career advice especially. Invaluable skills learnt here, best two years of my life.

Productive & Supportive

Productive. Staff is always friendly, cooperative hardworking and supportive. Management adopts an open-door policy. Agenda adhered to at meetings.

Pros

Na

Cons

Na

Productive and Fun!

Amazing University. I highly recommend it. Friendly management and staff. It was more like a family, I enjoyed myself from the get-go to the end. The pay is good too.

A great company to gain experience to entry level jobs as a student. Great exposure to professional work environment.

The work environment exposed me to fast paced environment that challanged my professional development and customer service skills. The company culture embraces diversity and a compepetive salary is also offered depending on level of education.

Productive and Social Environment

A very great working culture has been developed at the university that makes you excited to attend. Great collaborations take place between different faculties.

A great place for a young person to work.

The University of Pretoria is the best employer I have had thus far. The work culture is that of being focused on deliverables. If you can deliver what is expected of you in the allocated timeframe, nobody bothers you. The work that I do is very structured and my line manager is very supportive. The University is still trying to find itself in terms of transformation, however, one is not made to feel like an outsider. The senior leadership team stresses quality in the service delivery to students but also stresses the importance of employees being healthy and happy. I highly recommend the university as an employer. One always feels appreciated and that there is a plan in place for high-performing employees.

Pros

Positive work culture Well maintained buildings and facilities Employee wellness is a priority

Cons

Some employees still have gripes regarding transformation, diversity and inclusivity.

productive and perfect workplace

There working environment is positive and perfect, there is always a team work and everyone is friendly. even though the is too much workload we always make sure that the target is reached on time. what i enjoyed most is the effectiveness of the team work.

Pros

tea equipment

Cons

managable hours

Just about UP

I enjoyed working at UP, no place is perfect - it had its own weaknesses but I now miss UP. If it were up to me, I would come back. I miss their eagerness to improve.

It was a life experience, fun an educative would love to get parment there

Working at UP was one of the best achievement for me, learning different culture, people an personalities really helped me, their building are amazing

Pros

Lots of charity activities

Cons

Non for me

Learning and friendly work environment

You deal with people daily and this assists in consumer engagement and communication skills. There’s teamwork and there’s friendly employees. Would recommend working there

Pros

Good Salary

Cons

work product are essential to the mission of the University of Pretoria. Improper work performed were properly addressed. The University requires su

On my first day I was happy welcomed by peers and management over a cup of coffee and biscuits. I really like how they do their work, hands-on and security is also wonderful. the harder part of the job you have to do the allocated tasks on the identified time and get done correctly. However, they are patient to take you along until they see you doing everything correctly on your own. the most enjoyable part of the job was to engage on various ad numerous activities especially research. meeting with local and external stakeholders. This was beautiful. After work you keep your mind busy conceptualizing on different themes and contextualizing with other peers.

Pros

written and verbal communication, easy to engage with other cultures understand the languages

Productive and fun

I HAVE LEARNED TO INTERACT WITH DIFFEENT PEOPLE AS THERE are different stidents i distribute the papers to. the workplace is nice and clean and it is good for relaxing

Job experience

It is a great institution to work for. They have a great working environment which is fair and efficient.The staff of the institution are always willing to help with any enquires.

Flexible working hours all year round

This was a part time position where I was involved with teaching, mentoring and coaching students. The hardest part of the job was having to deal with demotivated students and dealing with the remnants of the legacy of apartheid in the workplace.

Pros

Flexibility, room for further personal growth and development

Cons

Race politics are deeply entrenched in the system

Good good space

Colleagues were friendly whilst the work space was well organised and neat. The laboratory practicals were well thought out. All required information was easily accessible.

Productive and good working envirronment

it is a 8 to 5 typical working hours. With a lot of opportunities and career development. Workplace culture is on average. Management supports the workers

Fun and Fast-paced environment

Great place to work at. The team is very fun to be a part. The boss is also excellent and will do whatever to ensure his team members are happy with there situations.

Pros

On campus

Cons

Could interfere with studies at times

fun workplace, productive

a typical day at work would be to show up at the clinic and counsel students who wanted to test. It has taught me to listen better and pay attention to detail. the workplace was friendly and productive making it easy to do your job. We were managed properly and could raise concerns freely with the management. The hardest part of the job was juggling both the job and my academics. helping people and making connections was the most enjoyable part of the job.

Good company to work fo

Good company to work for with lot of challenges, I have learnt a lot from my colleagues and management, I was very instrumental in developing junior staff and advising managers in areas that needs new installations and upgrades,

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Pretoria. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,9 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance
3,3 out of 5 stars for Salary/Benefits
3,4 out of 5 stars for Job Security/Advancement
3,7 out of 5 stars for Management
3,8 out of 5 stars for Culture
  • University of Pretoria
  • Culture
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?