University of Pretoria

Clear
3,9Work-Life Balance
3,3Pay & Benefits

Good student part-time job

I really enjoyed this as a student. The hours were flexible and they provided transport to the campus where I taught as a tutor/teaching assistant.You are paid according to how many completed degrees you have (bachelors, honours, masters etc) so my pay was relatively low since I only had a bachelors at the time. I was paid per hour. But I still appreciated my senior lecturers and colleagues.

Pros

Free transport, relaxed environment.

Good and secure job

The salary and job security is great. Unfortunately office politics and micromanagement is a problem. Including other work activities not disclosed in interviews or job placements are also an issue

A great company to gain experience to entry level jobs as a student. Great exposure to professional work environment.

The work environment exposed me to fast paced environment that challanged my professional development and customer service skills. The company culture embraces diversity and a compepetive salary is also offered depending on level of education.

Productive place

It is a good environment to work in. Stuff is friendly and helpful and the management as a whole. Your mental health is priorotised and you are allowed to take off days.

Pros

Free coffee

Cons

Productive and well educated people

Job was good however the consultation hours where alot and sometimes you have long line of people waiting to consult on the same thing but had to see them one by one.

Pros

Free office supplies

Cons

Small office

Learning and friendly work environment

You deal with people daily and this assists in consumer engagement and communication skills. There’s teamwork and there’s friendly employees. Would recommend working there

Pros

Good Salary

Cons

Rigid . Slow paced transformation...

Great facilities and resources but employee wellness need to be taken seriously. On the issue of benefits and reduction of employee attrition...instead of promising the employees that should they die..you will give their beneficiaries up to 7 times their annual salary.How does that decision assist the employee's financial situation at present? Why can't you give the seventh annual salary to the employee while still alive...Ijoh!

Productive and fun place to work

I gave me a bit of extra income during my study period. It also cemented my knowledge on the wide range of topics that i assisted on. Had 6 hours per week and this was sufficient for my needs

fun workplace, productive

a typical day at work would be to show up at the clinic and counsel students who wanted to test. It has taught me to listen better and pay attention to detail. the workplace was friendly and productive making it easy to do your job. We were managed properly and could raise concerns freely with the management. The hardest part of the job was juggling both the job and my academics. helping people and making connections was the most enjoyable part of the job.

Low salary, good for students to get extra cash

A lot of work with promise of a specific salary which was then mostly deducted. Took months to recieve said salary and felt very informal. Was however, a student at the time

Working at the University

Mostly the people are nice and approachable. Only drawback is that you work on an hour basis. If they dont have work for you, you cant work. Working with lecturers can be stressfull

You where expected to work and make production with limited time sometimes you find there was a bit of challenge along the way to produce productivity,and the salary was not comparable to the job description

Good workplace

Overall it is a good workplace as the working environment as well as the staff are friendly and helpful. Salary could be slightly higher thought but it is still a great place to build your career.

Good working condition

very strict but tolarated, condusive situation, manageable, productive. Good operation and working standard, very fun working environment. Good team work.

Good for extra Income.

It is a good work environment to work in and good exposure as a first job if you are still a student at the institution. Reasonable work loads but very little pay for time sacrificed to conduct your duties.

Pros

Good for extra Income as a student

Cons

Low pay

Earn as you study

Make sure you work hard for you to get those good grades. The opportunity to work as your study will determine how well you use your time but don't forget to party a little.

wonderful working conditions

I was only working for the University for about a month since it was a temporary thing, helping with the registration process, but i enjoyed working there, under such wonderful conditions

Pros

Free lunch at times

Cons

Yes we had to put in long hours when it was necessary.

Very high standard of working plance.

Well organised company to work for. If you are permanent it gives you job security to work until you are 65 years. Good benefits, maternity leave, leave, sick leave, pension, medical aid, etc. The salary compared well market related.

Pros

Extra performance bonuses.

Cons

BEE related.

No growth

It is a white dominated environment with no growth potential for people of color. The salary was very low with no bonuses n less benefits. Routine work

A fair place to work for a student

I have not many comments on this as I did not work full-time. I will say it was a relatively comfortable environment. The workload is fair and working hours acceptable.

Recession

Universities, as you well know, are under as much financial pressure as the public is. Demands for free education and mismanagement have resulted in poor salaries and long hours. I love teaching, love the UFS but I am unable to survive on the salary during a recession.

Pros

Bursaries

Cons

underpaid

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Pretoria. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,9 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance