University of South Africa (UNISA)

University of South Africa (UNISA) Employee Reviews

South Africa39 reviews
5,0
South Africa’s largest higher education institute, fast paced, competitive, Pursuing and encouraging African based Research, teamwork , diversity and friendly atmosphere.
Pros
Free lunches and free trips
Cons
Long hours of work including weekends and public holidaysDr
3,0
I worked as a Administrative assistant. It was very nice I met alot of people from different countries and cultures. I worked at the back office and sometimes face to face and at the reception desk.The company is good if you are permanent. I worked as a fixed term so your contract expired on the date that it states.
Pros
Wifi
5,0
I had a great experience in multiple function duties especially on the registrations and assignment deadlines which developed the most important skills in my career. In fact, the co-operation and support from the management have made my job easier and I am very proud to mention that the working culture was positive, although very demanding. At times i would voluntarily work overtime to reach various departments target such as Accounting Department, Engineering and Technology management so students may retrieve to final results. Mostly, i was inspired to work with the highly qualified professionals which developed my educational goals
Pros
The pros of UNISA are rendering, promoting effective quality services in accordance with working and student standards.
Cons
The cons are experiencing challenges related to systems, it may feel helpless and begin to doubt the capacity of the system
5,0
A typical day work involves working collaboratively due to constant referrals
I have learnt working independently without supervision, to be initiative and be on top of things at work, to manage my work effectively inline with work ethics.

Unisa management is very supporting and enabling for both professional, academic and personal development.

The hardest part of the job is handling different clients and managing your emotional intelligence and responding empathically to the client.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when I receive positive feedback from clients whom i assisted and accomplishing my entire job tasks descended to me.
5,0
UNISA has a good corporate environment. The setting, the management gives you that ambition...

I got a 3 month contract as a Picker and Packer. We would go into isles and select books from shelves.
5,0
It was pleasant environment. Was challenged a lot and need to be willing to take initiative and be creative. Learnt a lot of skills which will be helpful for future positions
5,0
Great company to work for and grow is there within the company. You get to learn new things and how to provide good customer service to client. Management skills on point.
Pros
Promote learning opportunity
Cons
Short contracts
5,0
It was a good experience to work with student same at my age. yo learn a lot and you will be able to help them.
love the fact that we have deferent race
Pros
sametime we get free lunch
Cons
long hours on Saturday
Lecturing
emails

Online support for student

Meetings

one on one meetings with students

video conference

discussion classes

telephonic consultations

Tutoring
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of South Africa (UNISA)?
5,0
Best place to work at and good salary. Very professional place to work at dealing with students who are matured and understanding. Salary was the best .
4,0
I deal with recruitment, reports, screening, interviews, and onboarding.
I organize meetings and assist the HR advisor as well as managers in their day to day tasks.
5,0
I enjoyed working at unisa and i've gain a lot of experience. I will love to work at unisa again. But with nepotism it's depends who do you know at unisa. Unisa it's highest nepotism in this country.

It's family members company. It's luck luck if you get a job on your own but 80 percent of staff it's family members its 20 percent of normal staff. This is my experience in unisa.

NEPOTISM UNISA
Pros
Cons
Normal hours and overtime
2,0
Working for Unisa is the most wonderful opportunity I ever had. I really grow from strength to strength and the working experience I gain is a bonus. Working for Unisa really boost my Outlook regarding life. I ve started to work at the information desk, later on I work in the call center, and I was also doing assignments statistics and filing. I really gained a lot of knowledge and working experience. I am a fixed term worker praying to be permanent. Because working is a stepping stone towards my future.
Pros
Free events
Cons
Reasonable hours
2,0
Working at the university hard work because you deal soo much private documents

I learned to be on time, work under pressure and to meet deadlines
Pros
enjoyed
Cons
7am to 7pm
5,0
This was my first professional company and I didn't have an idea as to how a Manufacturing company function. I learned a lot about the day to day running of a company and also applying the theories I learned in industrial engineering course practically.
Pros
Free lean manufacturing workshops
4,0
Unfortunately my experience was limited to only translating one study guide. Due to Afrikaans being removed as language of instruction, opportunities are very limited.
5,0
I loved working for the University of South Africa I assisted many students with disadvantageous academic background who are computer illiterate and love working with people more especially assisting them even choosing a suitable qualification I learned more about the Unisa student system at met the Universities top management I set and shared my views on how other issues such as student funding must be addressed working at Unisa is my heritage. The work place culture was greet students with a smile and have a resilient and a welcoming heart.

The Job was not hard but rather too much one can imagine how many students come to register at the University of South Africa and we had to assist all those students. Sad part was when a student could not be admitted because of not qualifying or when a student is academically excluded for non performance those are the sad moments.

The enjoyable part is when you see students that were in despair and you assisted them to excess higher learning and financial aid through applications.
Pros
It was always a pleasure to work at Unisa
Cons
had to balance work with school
3,0
Work Online with +/- 200 students from around and outside South Africa.

Learned how to manage students online and ensure their productive participation in forums in different discussions.
Pros
Support from institution
Cons
Less students partaking during discussions
5,0
A willingness to keep up to date with developments in new technology.
Ability to create and maintain strong working relationships with colleagues and customers.
5,0
My present career aim is to work within IT because I enjoy working with computers, I enjoy the environment and I find the work interesting and satisfying. The opportunity to learn new skills and work with new technologies is particularly attractive to me. I have learnt ability to help identify where changes need to be made in the strategies used by the company and to help implement the necessary changes. I have gained skills to evaluate any requests for changes and to identify any risk associated with the change, in order to determine if the request should be approved or rejected.
Pros
coaching employees through the change process
Cons
implementing change initiative projects
5,0
Excellent working environment. Staff is given opportunity to grow academically. Challenging aspect is teaching large classes but students have good manners.
Pros
free medical
Cons
short leaves