University of the Free State

University of the Free State Employee Reviews

South Africa272 reviews

4,0Work-Life Balance

Productive and fun workplace

You get to experience different people from all works of life. A lot of opportunities to grow and develop internally and externally. Very productive, less deadlines.

Pros

Opportunities to grow

Cons

No medical aid

Effective and effecient workspace .

Work as a Computer lab assistant was well and sound.Moreover , i experienced working .As a Lab Assistant, it was quite an effort to help school students learn computer literacy skills.

Fun workplace

I had fun!. The management team is very friendly and supportive. The journey improved my leadership skills...also the training offered unlocked new abilities. You get to help first year students and make new friends.

Pros

Making new friends.

A fully results based organization

Great chance to help fellow peers whilst also helping the self. It allows you to be yourself and at the same time allows you broaden and sharpen your skills.

Interesting environment

Competitive environment where everyday, one strives towards coming up with practical research ideas that would be converted into possible outputs for publication.

Throwback to early 2000's

Not the best university to work for, but I have learnt a couple of invaluable lessons and had some opportunities for growth. Environment not too bad. Some people really caring.

Pros

In a smaller city, multi- lingual, diversity, flexibility

Cons

Poor management

Condusive working environment, to work and learn simultaneously.

Adequate resources are provided to enable you to perform all, you duties as expected. Competent support staff to ensure a smooth running of the organization.

Lot of opportunity for growth for a committed person

Great employer for those that really collaborate and integrate. Self advancement opportunity do exist for the committed employee. Further study opportunity is highly recommended by the employer that do assist with the cost thereof.

Pros

Study assistance, Exellent benefits, Great working environment

Cons

Racial politics can have a negative effect

Give you good experience

Student Assistant Job helping undergrad students with their practice which help develop Good communication skills and help you balance between your school work and the assisting Job.

Pros

Great work environment

Cons

No cons

Great working space and friendly associates.

It was a pleasant experience and I enjoyed my time there. I just wished they were more long term contracts than having to be renewed every now and then.

Pros

Overtime payment Performance bonuses

Cons

Long hours Working pressure gets very high

Productive and challenging workplace

Amaizing experience and wish to get employed by the university of the free state on permanent basis, you learn a lot and get a chance to futher studies as which is something I have always wished in life but couldn't because of background.

Pros

Free inernet, call and lunch sometimes

Cons

Workload

Productive and work orientated and professional.

As a normal typical day at work organising you daily task as required. The University has a excellent platform to improve on work and personal skills. Management only adhere to the rule and regulations as required from Human Resources to make sure they personal feel save and secure and are treated equally. Excellent work place diversity. Duties and responsibilities can be overwhelming at times that is why great organizational skills is really important.The University of the Free State is a calming environment and it is great to interact with all races and cultures.

Pros

The the company closes during December holidays and excellent benefits.

Cons

There are not much growth in a position.

My job description included tutoring to students almost on a daily basis.

Working at the university of the Free state was the most amazing experience. It helped me become more confident in myself because we were always encouraged to do better and failure was not taken as that it was taken as another opportunity to do better. The whole experience propelled me to work harder and push myself more and it also taught me life skills such as time management and balancing in life because I had to balance between my job and my academics.

Pros

Receiving affirmation from students

Cons

Alot of admin, from class registers to lesson plans and lesson feedback

Terrible management

As a senior lecturer, I won awards for my teaching and my research. However, people in my department were constantly trying to undermine me. More than half of our lecturers did not have a doctorate, which should be a minimum requirement. I had 3x the research outputs of a full professor in my department, and the second highest research outputs total in our department, but was told that I could not get a promotion. When I raised concerns about things that were being done, I was punished for questioning the authority of my line manager, and told that the university is based on the "Master-Servant relationship." This is not a good place to work if you want to advance as an academic.

Pros

Decent salary, lots of vacation days.

Cons

Management has no idea what they are doing.

Working at the UFS was a great experience.

I got to work collaboratively with colleagues, which was something that I really liked. The environment was just calm and conducive. It helped me develop my computer skills.

Pros

Helped me develop my computer skills for better

Cons

I had to deal with different personalities, it was challenging.

Culture shocking work place but easy to adjust.

Various cultures come together and work places accomodates all cultures very well. Embracing diversity and learning from all the unique aspects of a person

Pros

Free access to resources

Cons

Alot of work

fun workplace

It was nice working @ ufs but I was not permanent employed, I had no benefits. But I gained allot of experience at University of the Free State. If I could have Gotten permanently employed there I would never have left the University.

Intern multimedia specialist

1.Stuff meetings 2 Being organized and deadlines were important. 3.being available for overtime 4.learn how to record live stream 5.Travelling and integrating with learners

Pros

Team collaboration

Cons

Individual achievement

It is a gery good working environment

It is a good a working environment, whereby you get to learn new things that are related to work. The colleagues are very humble and understandable. You are able to work individually and with groups

Fun

I was privileged enough to work at a department where I knew the majority of the staff, so working at the institution was a blast, enjoyable experience, it also builds up your communication and interaction skills.

Productive workplace

My typical day at work includes procuring for the assets that are required by the staff IN order to perform their duties.Of the few months that I have worked for the UFS I further developed my skills of communicating with people from different backgrounds as I mostly interact with suppliers to place orders.The culture in our workplace includes colleagues that are results orientated,innovative,detail orientated as we deal with finance, driven and dedicated individuals.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of the Free State. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4,0 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance