University of the Western Cape

University of the Western Cape Employee Reviews

South Africa167 reviews
4,0
A typical working day included presenting tutorials, marking scripts and providing consultation to students. It improved my communication and interacting skills. The workplace culture is relaxed and collaborative everyone works together.
5,0
I was a labratory assistant helping prepare the undergraduates experiments (i.e. Reagants, assays, samples, etc.), as well as helping the undergraduates if they had any problems/questions. It was very enjoyable and allowed me to recap on the experiments and concepts that I did when in that year (year below). I found it very rewarding being able to help the students in understanding the importance and relevance of the experiments that they were doing. I had a wonderful supervisor who was very diligent and present every time.
4,0
It was a great experience, had the pleasure of working with different students from different backgrounds. That alone taught me diversity and how as an individual it is important to respect the opinions of others.
5,0
It is very informative, contributes to personal growth. The tutoring program is very helpful especially for those that wish to be scholars and lecture at the University level.
5,0
A place to grow from hope to knowledge.
A great place to meet different individuals with their behaviours and cultures.

Team work is what keeps the working environment a success.
4,0
I truly enjoyed working at UWC. My colleagues were respectful and helpful. My job entailed client consultations, research, drafting etc. I truly learned time management and how to live a balanced lifestyle. You knew what was expected and you performed. No-one breathed down your neck because everyone was professional people.

The hardest part of my job was when my contract expired because you felt like you were part of the family.
5,0
The place had a very relaxed environment and a learning system. It taught me on how to be critical thinker without breaking me into pieces. I would recommend for anyone to join the organization.
5,0
I was responsible for tutoring 30 students at most.
The duties include conducting tutorial sessions, marking tutorials and other administration work

Being part time tutor improved my communication skills and also the ability to work in groups.

The workplace environment was good, students were behaving well and felt comfortable when we engaged with them.
4,0
UWC has shaped what I have become, both as a student and staff member. UWC staff are caring, considerate and focused. UWC line managers are engaged and encourage self-development. Many opportunities for self-enrichment and development, although not many opportunities for promotion of admin staff. The most difficult part of our job has been to serve students with limited resources. UWC students are mostly dedicated and hardworking students who understand that the years at UWC will make or break them. They work hard to achieve their goals and are excellently supported by staff members in support positions. Funding remains a stumbling block.
5,0
I was mentoring first year students and helping them adjust to university life. I gained alot of skills through the programme. I learnt to have good communication, listening leadership skills.
5,0
The culture is relaxed and inclusive. As a student, it's a great job for learning and thriving. It helped me understand more of the practical nature behind the theory.
Pros
On the job learning
Cons
Flexible payment cap
4,0
No day is the same, it was a great working environment always positive and productive. Definitely helped with my personal development and gained skills that I can apply in the near future.
4,0
Looking forward to get a job again in the future in the field of electrochrmistry at the Department of Chemistry in Cape Town. I got more than 15 years of Laboratory experience.
Kind regards.
4,0
The tutoring position is great whilst studying especially if you wish to go into education or would want to lecture after completing your studies as this gives you good experience in working with students, preparing for tests, lesson planning and understanding concepts.
5,0
Working with students whenever you are free between lectures during the day
Always busy

Never a dull moment

Always learning

Always growing

Very friendly staff
4,0
Its a great place to work and grow as academic.Friendly staff. Benifis are great too in terms of studying opportunities and medical aid.

The following I have learned:

Responsible for smooth running of undergraduate pharmaceutical practicals by ensuring timely procurement of chemicals and consumables needed.

 To assist/teach fourth years projects and postgraduates in pharmaceutics operation of instruments

 Coordinate /responsible for firefighting and evacuation within school of pharmacy

 Maintenance and oversight of all equipment in pharmaceutics discipline.

 Develop standard operating procedures (SOP`s), calibration and maintenance of equipments

 Equipment disposal (scrap and surplus) in pharmaceutics discipline

 Coordination of capital expenditure (CAPEX) –Identify and motivate instrument(s) needs.

 Management of Pharmaceutical discipline budget
3,0
It has a lot of activities that improve your growth and leadership skills. it is very good and fun place working with students and lovely colleagues. furthermore, it has good facilities and passionate people
5,0
Working at UWC has been wonderful and have have learned so much working here. I can recommend others to work here because you have the opportunity to grow and learn here.
Pros
Work people is great
4,0
UWC is committed to transforming the lives of the students and staff who work and study at the campus. The university is making head roads into providing top class world quality tertiary education, despite being previously disadvantaged.
Pros
Socially conscious
Cons
Combersome administrative processes
5,0
I had a real learning and growing experience working at my own tertiary institution teaching and helping students, and this has given me much pride in myself
5,0
My typical day at work is always the one filled with smiles and laughter between my students and myself. I have learnt to approach tutoring/facilitation with an open mind, as a social scientist. I have always enjoyed training or passing down of information/lessons learned, this is the part I enjoy the most about my job.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of the Western Cape. Our community is ready to answer.
4,1