University of the Western Cape

University of the Western Cape Management reviews

South Africa167 reviews
4,0
I truly enjoyed working at UWC. My colleagues were respectful and helpful. My job entailed client consultations, research, drafting etc. I truly learned time management and how to live a balanced lifestyle. You knew what was expected and you performed. No-one breathed down your neck because everyone was professional people.

The hardest part of my job was when my contract expired because you felt like you were part of the family.
4,0
Its a great place to work and grow as academic.Friendly staff. Benifis are great too in terms of studying opportunities and medical aid.

The following I have learned:

Responsible for smooth running of undergraduate pharmaceutical practicals by ensuring timely procurement of chemicals and consumables needed.

 To assist/teach fourth years projects and postgraduates in pharmaceutics operation of instruments

 Coordinate /responsible for firefighting and evacuation within school of pharmacy

 Maintenance and oversight of all equipment in pharmaceutics discipline.

 Develop standard operating procedures (SOP`s), calibration and maintenance of equipments

 Equipment disposal (scrap and surplus) in pharmaceutics discipline

 Coordination of capital expenditure (CAPEX) –Identify and motivate instrument(s) needs.

 Management of Pharmaceutical discipline budget
2,0
The unions seemed to have a much stronger voice than management. Most Managers were ill-equipped for the roles they occupied and this became a challenge in managing competent employees.
Pros
benefits for spouses and employee's children
Cons
racial integration was a challenge
4,0
I worked for the University for only three years, these were some of the best years throughout my working career. In those three years, I grew a lot, Executive Management is positive and accessible to all.
4,0
I was able to work and interact with other students from different faculties. Th queries were fun to answer because I worked they were from the Art Faculty and I was a Economics and Management Sciences faculty student and therefore, it was fun to know how the Arts Faculty functioned.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Working late on events for the faculty
4,0
A typical day at UWC starts with meetings or academic lecturing. Lecturing involves undergraduate and post-graduate lectures.

I learned that working in the Higher Education arena is very challenging but also very rewarding.

The management at UWC is very supportive (especially the Head of the Nursing Faculty).

The hardest part of my post (that of Clinical Coordinator for the 4th year undergrad students) was that the students can be very challenging at times, on issues that are non-academic in nature.

The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the post-graduate students and their studies, especially the proposal defence meetings.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Too many undergrad students on the B programme; limited available clinical facilities.
3,0
Working at the University was great. The management is good to work with. They understand if you can not come to work. I had to stop working there since l am no longer a registered student. Now l am looking for any kind of available job.
3,0
Tutoring is quite fun. I'm a facilitator of education so I interact with students on a daily basis. I also have to grade them on there performance. Everyday I learn something new from my students that I was not aware of before. So it's a continuous learning procedure. Management at the university is good and the culture is great as they value us as tutors studies as well
Pros
Continuous learning environment
Cons
Entails a lot of admin apart from teaching.
3,0
I am a energetic individual, I enjoy interacting with people and students .In my tutoring we normalyl meet an hour prior the actual tutorial session with student. During the meeting we all discuss the worksheet and go through it so that if one of us don't understand something they can understand. Later we meet with the student evaluate their attempts give them marks accordingly and engage in the learning process for them helping the grow their level of understanding in that particular concept that we dealing with on that day.
Pros
Flixibility
Cons
poor management
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of the Western Cape?
5,0
Always a new journey with lots of learning skills. I have learned to be more content versatile and be on tpont on the task given. Self confidence and good time management and conflict resoluter. I always enjoy being the first contact on my job that all the people I met they always remember me asa helpfull and lovely lady.
Pros
Outing and trainings to equipt employees
Cons
Flexible hours that gives a family time and holidays end of the year
5,0
I learned on how to work at reception and how to answer cellphone and how to communicate with clients. I learn how to work as a team whereby you deal with people who have committed and dedicated and hard working and some are lazy. The management were always supporting us in everything and encouraging us to do better at work. they have a diversity of culture whereby everyone was included. The hardest part is to work 24 hour sometimes where we have to serve unexpected guest and we enjoyed to work because we always work as a team to share our knowledge and skills.
Pros
Free lunch and thank you dinner or launch
Cons
24 to more hours
5,0
Usually at work we assist students with registration to residential areas and also drive them around when needed so. I learned a very important skill at my stay in UWC which is how to work with and around people, time management and patience. The work place culture was not the best but i was able to cope and adapt to it. The hardest part of my job was to sacrifice too much for it and get little to no recognition at all.
Pros
Had access to travelling allowance.
Cons
Salary is very low
4,0
Its normally educational. We meet different people of different levels of education, from unemployed youth, Professors and politicians. It is a good environment for gaining experience. The management is eager to assist with our personal development but the hardest part is that we mostly deal with paper work and therefore the focus is on filing for me sine I am an Intern. The most enjoyable part is working have a provincial manager as a mentor and working closely with project managers and skills advisers.
Pros
Exposure to different academics and expects since we are a training and development sector
Cons
understuffing
4,0
The Lectures are very supportive and helpful to their students. Time management is an important skill that I have learned in University. Through hard work, dedication and perseverance I have completed two degrees successfully.
4,0
Teamwork very important. Travelled with the rugby team. Screening of all players. Management of players injuries. Room for growth. Lovely experience as a student. Extra income
Pros
Travelling
Cons
Long hours. Full time student
4,0
A typical work day starts at 830 with tutorials and consultation evenly spread out throughout the day for at least four hours, leaving the other four hours to research admin and other roles to be performed. Through the years l have learnt time management, importance planning ahead and conflict resolution. Moreover, with other co-workers we work as team always, it has helped a lot in assisting students and in our own workload. Most of the times we work with my co-workers and only see management for meetings.I enjoy my job the most when l am with students sharing what l know and at times having constructive debate. The part when l get to impart knowledge and help someone pass a module, it makes me proud of my job
Pros
Flexible working hours, accomodating
Cons
Few skills development programmes
4,0
Very informative, while also helping to build skills relating to public speaking, presentation of materials, time management, educational development and organizational skills.
Pros
Use of a maodern and fully equipped office space
Cons
heavy work load
3,0
I learned how to work with different individuals as the job required me to work with fellow and potential students. I learned how to take direction, my computer and filling skills were immensely improved here. My time management skills and were also improved as I had to learn how to be a full time student while working full time at the university as well. I now have great communication skills and I know how to conduct myself in a professional manner and I know how to professionally handle clients regardless of their nature. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new people everyday and getting to "sell" the university to potential students.
Pros
Motivation to Study
Cons
Long Hours
4,0
I have also developed certain skills during previous work experience, skills such as patience, the ability to be diligent, time management a skill I have learned while working as a student assistant at the University of the Western Cape as a Senior lab assistant having to attend class, work and study.
3,0
Good salary structure & benefits. Management are pleasant, and bound by Governance structures. Due to the Governance structures, it can result in delays for recruitment and selection and other important HR Matters.
4,0
PRODUCTIVE WORKPLACE WITH ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT.

In a particular day I engage with various senior stakeholders on strategic projects. I also do support and reporting for various departments regarding business intelligence.

I learn much from my seniors and executives whom I work closely with - in relation to strategies that move the company forward,marketing, information technology, people management.

I am a specialist consultant and my fellow colleagues are all those I engage with on various projects in many departments. I do not necessarily have the same co-workers all the time.

The hardest part of my job is making sure that all stakeholders agree on strategies. This is the most enjoyable part of my job as well. I am very comfortable working with people of all personalities.
Pros
Free Education
Cons
Poor Remuneration structures