University Of The Witwatersrand

University Of The Witwatersrand Employee Reviews for Lecturer

Lecturer14 reviews
South Africa14 reviews
5,0
the teaching of Chemical and metallurgical process design
directing masters student in mineral processing projects

review masters work and postgraduate thesis
3,0
Great place to work. Good work/life balance. Racism still an ever present issue. Pays well but there is a glass ceiling. Working at the place is very satisfying if you enjoy research and lecturing.
Pros
Pay.
Cons
Racism
3,0
Stressful and very fast-paced and pressured work environment which offers little opportunity to practice a healthy work-life balance. However, it does offer the ability to work flexibility and the ability to work from home.
Pros
Flexible work hours and ability to work from home
Cons
Stressful and pressured work conditions
3,0
The culture at Wits is very professional and effecient. They hire the best staff who are from diverse parts of the world. The salary is not so good. However, the salary is negotiable. The culture is very open and they are willing to work with each other.
Very flexible working hours

Activities include preparation of course material, marking, consultations, tutorials and adhoc lecturing.

Benefits include staff bursary to study Master in Commerce (accounting).

Very rewarding experience working with students and assisting them with their studies.

You will be given a portfolio in one of the key CTA competencies (Financial Accounting, Auditing, Financial Management or Taxation).

Academic articles are awarded to the University's top performers and may be done as a substitute to first year articles.

Salaries are competitive in relation to market
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
N/a
5,0
Wits really does give you the edge. If you are willing to work and be innovative then Wits can help you to grow and develop in the world. It has some drawbacks but it is little in comparison to the opportunities.
Pros
Access to knowledge
Cons
slow to change
3,0
I love working in the university, and engaging with the students. My sessional status means that my job is not secure and that is why I am seeking other work.
Pros
Library access
Cons
No regular parking
4,0
Fun, interacted with students. Nice academic culture. Nice food in canteens. Bread and Butter around the corner very nice. Friendly, staff very nice. Spoke my languages all the time, had an informal Russian conversation group. Language department now very small.
Pros
short hours fun
Cons
not enough money no advancement
5,0
Good institution, learn a lot
Good research output, time to write journals are sufficient

Stimulating environment

Best in the country

Excellent lunch options
Pros
Flexibility, good benefits
Cons
Bureacracy
4,0
Wits is a challenging, competitive environment that really pushes employees to excel in academia. The focus is on high quality research and education within Africa. At times the pressure can be high and job demands can lead to long working hours, but there are also advantages such as the opportunity to travel to congresses and a high level of support for research. The hardest part is finding a balance between research and teaching.
Pros
Travel opportunities, Liberal culture, Research support
Cons
Long hours, High pressure environment
5,0
the research is a weekly routine and every student researcher have a stipulated time to finish. Normally every researcher have his/her interest of study, I research on area of seismic site characterization. This field present new opportunities, interesting challenges and eager to think something new. Mostly, people am working with are mainly academicians and fellow researchers
5,0
Will be teaching what i love doing for living
lovely managment

funny ,creative co-workers

no hard part

teaching my passion which is my language and see the students benifiting.
Pros
free tea
Cons
working on weekends
5,0
The most enjoyable part of my work is doing research and consultancy work
5,0
Lesson preparations, lecturing - both theory and practice, reading and studying, setting question papers and marking assignments and tests/exams/research work.

I learned to relate and live with people of a different culture harmoniously and openly and still become myself.

Time management was important. the school was well managed with lots of support from both colleagues and the university staff in general. everything ou needed was available - form teaching tips to teaching equipment. Nice job.

Co-workers were the best. they were good buddies, respectful and supportive and family like

Hardest part of the job: Getting used to lecturing - my first lecturing job

Most enjoyable: The practicals and social activities we shared with my co-workers and the students
Pros
exposure to the outside world
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University Of The Witwatersrand. Our community is ready to answer.
4,1