University Of The Witwatersrand

University Of The Witwatersrand Employee Reviews for Teaching Assistant

Teaching Assistant8 reviews
South Africa8 reviews
4,0
In general teaching and assisting students was intellectually challenging and when subject matter was outside my scope I learnt a lot. It was also great for refreshing one's knowledge on subject matter.
Pros
Great learning opportunity
Cons
Sometimes it feels like students don't bother taking advantage of the opportunities provided to them
5,0
You get to learn how to teach and simplfy stuff
Fast paced work environment

Work once a week except when marking

No hard part

Enjoyable part is that you improve you communication skills
Pros
once a week
2,0
I gained teaching experience in a laboratory. I also improved my verbal and presentation skills with undergraduate students. I was also apart of the Target Talent Programme in assisting Matric students in the laboratory.
5,0
Working at the university as a teaching assistant gives you the opportunity to be in the field you love at the same time it is rewarding as you get the chance to help out younger students.
Pros
Getting paid for doing something you love
Cons
the hours are long
4,0
The company gives solid experience in working well underpressure and being able to write proposals as well as presentations. The most enjoyable part is going on field trips to collect data.
Pros
Free access to internet
3,0
A fun place to work in, where management is very supportive and understanding. Very kind co-workers who help each other when help is needed. There's always something new to learn everyday.
Pros
Working with students
5,0
Each day included demonstrations and presentations on how forensic sciences is applied in the working environment and what key aspects are utilized in different sub-fields. I learned that a presentation should be made interesting and to teach theoretical knowledge requires a full understanding of the curriculum taught. Management and co-workers were energetic and passionate and easy to communicate with. The hardest part included keeping the attention of those uninterested. The most enjoyable part was to give knowledge of forensic sciences to other young aspiring minds
Pros
Short working hours
5,0
A typical day at work day involves managing 10 -12 students and assisting them with laboratory work. Address any questions they might have on material covered in lectures and/or laboratory specific queries. Mark the students tests and create a spreadsheet with the marks. I have learned how to manage a couple of students, gained time management skills, basic computer skills and verbal/written communication. The hardest part of the job is seeing some of your students fail. The best part when you see your students understanding the work you explain to them, improving their grades and mostly making it to the top ten students in class.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University Of The Witwatersrand. Our community is ready to answer.
4,1