University Of The Witwatersrand

University Of The Witwatersrand Employee Reviews for Tutor

Tutor36 reviews
South Africa36 reviews
4,0
There are some good mentors and colleagues who care about career advancement and promotion as well as transformation. It's a good company to grow if you want to be an academic.
5,0
The students are very willing to learn. As a tutor, I managed to increase the pass rate of the students who attend this program by 6 to 10%. With the support of the staff and lecturers, the pass rate is projected to further increase by 20%
5,0
It is an incredible institution and an honor to have been a student there. There's plenty of opportunities for growth and to learn from brilliant thinkers from all over the world.
5,0
members of staff are dedicated and committed to duty.
Excellence is the soul of business. work culture is great and inspiring. the system is tough but definitely prepares one for the future.
5,0
The institution is great and allows for growth and learning. I have also learned a lot from my colleague and students who study at the university. I recommend this place to anyone whom may want to take on a fun and fulfilling career path.
5,0
It was fun and challenging at the same time being a tutor at wits school of mine. dealing with people was the most challenging part. I loved doing survey practical work by explaining it to students.
Pros
Learning more about survey and dealing with people
Cons
balancing studies and work
4,0
It was a great opportunity to be able to tutor the engineering design course, which allowed me to pass on knowledge as well as reinforce my own, and gained the skill of teaching.
Pros
Good learning experience
Cons
Boring at times
4,0
I received the merit award in 2008 from the University of the Witwatersrand for achieving high results in my Bachelor of Arts Degree. The University funded my Honours in Psychology Degree and in return I worked for six hours a week during the year in the Psychology Department.
4,0
I loved the job as I tutored one of my favorite subjects. The pay I received was also very good and helped me a lot as a student. I loved it as I learned a lot about my people management skills and it also gave me a chance to improve on that skill. I got exposed to different people of different personalities and so learned to deal with different kinds of people. Most importantly, I enjoyed imparting my knowledge to students.
5,0
I went into this field with a full enthusiasm to tutor. One remarkable experience I had was that the environment always challenged me to work harder since I was dealing with the students as a tutor and also had to make out a lot of time to read for my own academic work. The aspect of research became then pronounced in me following the many engagements with students. This was because I always had to read ahead not to mislead the students.
Pros
Access to the library
Cons
Staying for long hours and odd times to teach
4,0
It's good for people in academia.
It's not for lazy people.

There are no benefits

Not much supervision

Flexible working hours

Coaching is part of the job
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Workload
3,0
It was my first experience as a tutor.
I was not a full-time emplo9yee since I was a PhD student.

I learn to interact with students, I learn to impact knowledge, explain concepts they didn't understand.

I typical day would be, before the tutorial session, I will meet with the instructor in charge of the module, discuss on the tutorial sheet when necessary. Then I will go to the venue, walk through in-between the chairs to check what the students are doing. If there is a concept that most of them don't understand, then I will go to the board and explain or still a student who is willing to do so can explain to his peers.

As usual, in such an environment I enjoyed standing in front of the students to help them understand concept they found difficult.

The most difficult part was tests or assignment grading.
Pros
Free tea and biscuits
5,0
The University of the Witwatersrand is a great workplace that encourages the employee to grow as an individual, while also teaching one the required work ethics that one requires in order to reach the unlimited heights of success.
3,0
I served as a tutor for second year accounting students. I was required to deliver the tutorials and go over exercises and past exam papers with the students in the weekly tuts.
3,0
I tutored first year students in engineering physics, five times a week from Monday to Friday for about 2 hours a day. The students were great and most of them were always willing to learn. I also assisted lectures with the preparation of tests and exams. The whole environment was fair but not perfect.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No pay
5,0
I enjoyed this role and the University. I was a student at the University so it was very convenient for me.

There was however great administrative difficulty on the management side of things.

The hardest part of the job was drafting the memos to questions that were often contradictory due to the poor administration and organisation on behalf of my supervisors.

The most enjoyable part was teaching the students and making a difference in terms of their interest and understanding in the subject matter.
Pros
Convenient, low transport cost
Cons
Poor administration.
4,0
It was a job that required interpersonal skills. The environment was friendly and the management was good in the sense that the employers perceived the employees as friends.

I learned quite a great deal from this job which includes among other things, good communication skills and team work.

The hardest part of the job was to deal with difficult customers. However, with good communication skills one was able to solve the problem in a manner agreeable both to the customer and I.

The most enjoyable part of the job was to get the Star of the week award.
Pros
Reduced prices for employees
5,0
A typical working day was an eight hours shift and one hour for a break. It was good learning experience, i learnt how to work in a team and also learnt research how report writing is done in the mining mining environment. I was tasked with 3D mapping project which i completed in 2017.The hardest part was we were working with new technologies and the learning process was challenging.
5,0
I do a part time job, so I do not spend much time at work. However with the little time I send at work I get to learn a lot from my colleagues. They are a happy and supportive bunch but cannot say the same about the management though. The hardest part of my job is dealing with the rude and inconsiderate leaders/managers. What I love about my job is that I can do my work whenever I am free.
Pros
Flexible hours
2,0
This is a part-time tutoring job that I took up to support myself while I complete my Master's degree in Science. It's a nice job to have to be able to focus on studies while earning a little cash and helping younger students.
4,0
Tutoring at Wits is an interesting experience. You get to see junior students through their struggle and in most cases can relate with them which only makes you want to help them more.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University Of The Witwatersrand. Our community is ready to answer.
4,1