Van Schaik Bookstore
3,9 out of 5 stars.

Van Schaik Bookstore Employee Reviews

South Africa28 reviews

3,5Work-Life Balance

It was excellent working at van schai

My day can get busy walk in customers.,e-mail customers, telephonic customers. I have good customer skills. I can deal with difficult customer. Being a sales assistant was challenging. I worked in debtors,banking,recieving,orders.Over weekends i was a late supervisor. I relieved store managers. Challenging environment.

It's a great company to work for, everyone was family

The standard of professionalism is very high but also you are given chances to learn, the training was always helpful. The branch level staff and management has open channels of communication

I have learnt alot

Everything has been fine working there. I went to that environment after working un the funiture retail for over 8 years and I geaned some experience in book industria.

Great company

It's a good company that treat all the people the same... more work load when each semester starts as every learner want their study materials in time

vanschaik staff are easy to work with

I started working at vanschaik as an intern and it was my first job but I learned a lot because they give you an opportunity to learn from all departments and its staff and management are friendly and always willing to take you to another level. the most thing that I enjoy is dealing with difficult customers

Pros

when doing stock stake we are provided with free lunch

Cons

8 working ahours

room for improvement

I was a Jr manager, but did the duties of a manager and did not get the money for what I was doing, Top management got shares in this company then pressurize the workers base in the stores.

Productive.

Internship I provided customer service in various roles throughout the bookstore, was responsible for transactions as a cashier and clerk. I became proficient in using the in-house computer system for processing payments. Directed customers through the store as needed.

dont care about workers

Vanschaik book store used to be a good company when was still owned by Times media, today they treat employees like rubbish, we recently joined the union, now they are victimising all the union members.

Productive and fun work place

A busy call centre as the period was a busy one. During working hours it was all work and making sure the duties of the day where all being done and done at the right time, however management made sure to keep the staff happy. Rewards to those who deserve them to keeo them motivated. The hardest part was when clients are unhappy because delivery is late and it is not under your control. There most enoyable part is building a good relationship with your clients.

Vanschaik has experience managers

Vanschaik have good management,they are treating me nicely,my salary goes to my bank in time,the salary not bad at all,there is no hard work,they treat me as a permanent staff,at all no complain

Pros

Free tea and bread

Cons

Normal hours

good environment for work experience

good workplace to take an opportunity after completing your studies for growth and hands on experience as they give all training to the interns and make sure they practice the theory from the university to prepare them for future jobs after the internship contract has terminated.

Pros

free lunches

Cons

longer hours

Working with friendly and young University Students. Helping them to source their prescribed books and stationery.

Working with big amount of cash every day and dealing with reach and some angry customers. interacting with the co workers who work directly with the guests.Balancing your float and cashing it in at the end of the shift.

Pros

free lunches everyday

Cons

akward working time

fun wrk place nd understandin people

It was nice working at van schaik becouse people i was working with hard respect for one another and the most i love about that place we where treating costomers with respect

Pros

free break fast

Cons

extra hous

productive

Van Schaik it the best, I've learned to communicate with people and gained lot of experience . The management is good, the was nothing hard, most enjoyable part is being cashier

Pros

free lunch

Cons

over time

Always productive

A day at work is just the same as any other day, reason why i left is, you repeat what you do everyday, except when you work in a different department, that only happens when one is off sick or on leave. The enjoyable part was, you work with different students and people everyday, with the regulars you build a good relationship with. Workplace culture was not so good as there were only people over 40 working there. I've leared alot about working with different people with different moods, and i could handle all of it at once.

Pros

Incentives

Cons

Weekends work

awesome working enviroment

I enjoyed my time there. Its just a pity that it was only on a temporary bases. I gained a lot of knowledge in term of how a call centre works and also improved on my telephonic skills. the team I worked in was extremely supportive and imparted valuable skills on to me.

Pros

team work

Cons

temporary contracts

fun and exiting

I worked there for a month. but I learned how to order books and quote for students. also helping students who are in need of accounts to open. since they cannot buy or does not have busaries.

Pros

communication with management

Cons

temporary jobs

Very nice to work at

I enjoyed working at the store as it gave me a chance to put my theoretical knowledge into practice, the staff was also helpful as they helped me to understand things that I did not fully understand.

Pros

Free coffee

Cons

Very quite place

Productive, fun, secure

Typical work day at work is to work hard and keep all customers happy. Make sure I receive the stock and pack it on the shelves. I learned that team work is very important.

Pros

We receive R150.00 voucher for back to school stationery for our children.

Cons

Shop opens 7 days a week

Productive and fun workplace

It is a good working environment because we work as a team.We work with different kinds of students,so we got to learn different kinds of attitudes and behaviours from students.

Pros

free coffee ingrediants

Cons

normal office hours

Very good company, industry leader, great people.

Most of my work consists of being the brand custodian via various channels - advertising, corporate wear and items, social media, corporate identity, etc. I have learned the importance of being super organized, well skilled and being able to think on your feet and adapt to any situation that comes your way. Our management is a brilliant team of leaders who take pride in their work and their people. Co-workers become like extended family and the environment we work in are mostly relaxed. The hardest part of my job is administration. Being a creative person, it's not really hard, it's just the part I enjoy least, but it's still vital. The part I enjoy most is being creative, whether it be designing, writing, working on strategies, coming up with new initiatives and our corporate social responsibility projects. Van Schaik Bookstore is a wonderful place to work at with many great benefits if you're looking to work for a South African company.

Pros

Close to home

Cons

No potential for promotion

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Van Schaik Bookstore. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,5 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance