Varsity Tutors

Varsity Tutors Employee Reviews

not enough rate of tutor job (30% of company fee)

According my experience there is late response of tutor requests; low rate of tutor payment; a very slowly change rate and very small pay rise of the tutor. I think, there is unjustified ratio of the amount between the company and tutoring fees. For example, another tutoring companies similar to Varsity, offer rate starting from 50% of client fee and after 40-50 hours of tutiring rase it to 60%.

Ok company to work for

I would rate VT a 5/10 overall. There are great sales agents on the floor, but there is a high management turn around.Once you have a good work relationship with your management , they come around and change your manager to someone who could care less about you as a person.There is zero remote location flexibility. I honestly felt like a number .This is just like any other call center.The sales role is a dead end job.

Pros

Work 100% remote

Cons

Poor commission structure, high metrics, poor management, and no location flexibility

Flexible and Easy

Varsity Tutors is great in that you get to choose how many hours and when you want to work. Also, the company's tutoring platform is very easy to use.

Good as a very part time job. Not much work to be had.

Good as a very part time job. Not much work to be had. There is a freedom in scheduling but really it’s hard to pick up any work with their system. Good if you need side work and/or experience.

Great, flexible job with reliable compensation and working from home opportunities.

I love working for this company because it is extremely flexible and you can chose when and how much you would like to work, and all remotely too! I do feel like for a tutoring service, the rate is way too low. However, you do get paid twice a week which is great and reliable. Also, they offer literally every subject, so if you have mastery in something, you should definitely consider being a tutor.

They exploit their tutors.

They pay you a third of what they charge clients, have hidden agreements in their contracts, and expect you to spend time preparing foe you clients without pay. They also don't let you meet clients a head of time and make it incredibly hard to drop them. My local grocery store pays more and I have a Masters in Education.

Pros

Pick your hours

Cons

Low pay, exploitation, requires free labor, you must continue with clients 1 month after requesting them to reassigned, tech support can never actual help

Flexible Tutoring Gig

I just started with Varsity about 2 weeks ago. I get email and text alerts about tutoring opportunities, but I haven’t performed a tutorial session yet. I feel hesitant moving forward with no training or materials available. But I like that you get a detailed profile of students seeking tutoring to see if you’re compatible and / or interested.

Pros

Details on potential students, easy hiring process, pay day is twice a week !!!

Cons

No perks, no training or tutoring provided by Varsity

Flexible job with paltry pay

I worked for Varsity Tutors for 1 year several years ago. They matched me with students and families that fit my line of expertise. However, the distances were extremely far and they do not pay for gas or commute, so $25/hr quickly becomes $15/hr.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Shortchanged with the wages

A horrible company.

The company pays very low rates to tutors and provides little real assistance to tutors. Technical support was useless and they do not provide accurate information about the tutoring engagements which makes it really difficult to properly select jobs.

Pros

Set your own schedule.

Cons

Low pay and the company is very disorganized.

Independent contractor role with no raises

It’s fine, not worth much extra time but not terribly hard or stressful. Make your own schedule and most clients are great. Lots of freedom and great for undergraduate or graduate education students

There is nothing negative about working here! I work as I can when I can, working around my availability, helping others!

I set my own schedule and get paid well. Help is always available, culture is great! A typical day is fun! This work makes a difference! Nothing hard!

Pros

Everything is a pro about this company. Tutors: set what works for their own abilities, interests, and time schedules, all can be changed daily, tools are easy to use, individual calendars can be modified quickly, opportunities plentiful.

Cons

No cons are known yet after working as a tutor for several months.

The $15/hour rate for most tutoring ruined it for me, especially knowing I could make ten times that much by finding my own clients in my big city.

I usually tutored on evenings and weekends, and sometimes > 6 hours/day, 7 days/week. I learned a tremendous amount about teaching, tutoring, and how to work my butt off and still live on peanuts. The VT support team are very helpful and quickly responded whenever I had questions, so I’d say the workplace culture was positive. It’s a convenient way to set your own hours, even if the pay is a bit of a joke.

Pros

Set your own hours, endless supply of clients

Cons

Low pay, no benefits

Great Work-from-Home Option for Teachers

Certified teachers can make good money doing what they love from the safety of the Internet.An incredibly wide variety of classes are offered.Private tutors make about half as much, unfortunately.The online platform is state-of-the-art with many built-in features for maximum efficiency.

Pros

I got a cash bonus for each class I completed in full from the School@Home, program, Staff are very friendly and supportive, Tech support is always available.

Cons

Hard, but not impossible to get a full-time schedule. You just have to cobble it together, Non-certified teachers only earn half the pay of certified teachers.

I enjoyed my time at Varsity Tutors. It takes awhile to understand how to succeed in the company.

I liked working at Varsity Tutors and would recommend it to anyone looking for remote work. It takes a lot of dedication to learn how to be successful. If you can do it, it’s worth the money.

Pros

Good money for remote work

Cons

Bad home/work balance. Had to work holidays/some nights. Difficult quotas to meet.

Flexible scheduling, set your own hours, but pay not based on education, experience or performance.

I started working for Varsity as a public school teacher looking for extra income. The low pay was not an issue then, as I was not dependent on the income. Having now left full-time teaching, I am no longer willing to work for an organization that charges a very high fee to its clients but about what the fast food industry pays to its workers. With a master's degree and eighteen years of teaching, I have found other ways to tutor for an hourly rate that is aligned with my knowledge, experience, and strong student reviews. I love working with students, but Varsity simply does not recognize distinctions in the quality of their tutors. Everyone gets the same rate, and only once in six years has it increased. Their client managers are always pleasant and helpful, but there is never any outreach to tutors or effort to build community. If you are just starting out with a bachelor's degree, it is fine, but if you are an experienced professional educator, others will reap the profit from your knowledge and experience.

Pros

Set your own hours

Cons

Low pay No sense of community

Love varsity tutors- highly recommend

I am currently an educational sales consultant for Varsity Tutors. I love my job! I have been working with them for about 3 months. I am very pleased with all my managers, teammates, and additional staff! They always set goals for you and push you to be the best version of yourself. I came to them with little to no experience in sales just an elementary education and psychology background. They were able to show me everything and help me throughout the only process. Training is very easy and fun since you meet a ton of new people that become some of your best friends!

Pros

Flexible schedule! Support no matter what you need help with, their tech center is amazing, their managers are awesome, always one click away with fast responses, very good benefits.

Cons

Sometimes it can get busy and you will need to put in some extra hours. Nothing too bad.

Poor pay for tutors

The rates they charge clients varies, but in some cases they pay tutors only 20% of what they are charging clients. Their hourly pay is just barely enough to be worth it for me with the convenience of working at home and tutoring online.

Pros

Fairly frequent offers of new students, online tutoring from home.

Cons

Low pay for tutors/sometimes extremely expensive for clients

Great salary!!Flexibility to choose the schedule and classes to teach

Varsity Tutors is a great online learning platform that provides the opportunity for students from elementary to college to achieve academic success. One-on-one to small group to large group classes are available. Classes are available in all subject areas. Tutoring, Homeschool classes, remedial classes, and after-school clubs are available!

Pros

Freedom to teach without other duties Work from home Choice of schedule and classes

Varsity Tutors is an excellent company for this teacher retiree.

Varsity Tutors is upfront about their expectations, compensation and contractor status for their teachers and tutors. I work from home and am able to work the hours that fit my needs. In addition, having distance from your students and their parents is nice.

Pros

I can work the subjects I teach and the hours I choose to work from home, meeting students from around the world is enjoyable, most of the students are grateful for my time and efforts, I can build a tutoring clientele via the instant tutoring opportunities, you can choose to not work with students without repercussion.

Cons

I think that compensation is a bit too low but fair and upfront, parent and student quality is as varied as the schools in which I taught, it is difficult to monitor uncooperative students as most are at home without parental supervision, remember, you are in a service industry and must meet the scheduling needs of your prospective clients.

Flexible schedule is great!

Varsity Tutors provided a flexible schedule for me as I have been pursuing new opportunities in my life. Varsity Tutors allows me to keep my teaching skills sharp and continue sharing my knowledge with students on my schedule.

VT is an amazing company to work with! Perfect place to teach from your own home!

I am a teacher for the School@Home Program for students that are home schooled. We are given teaching guides that contain the standards that need to be met but how we teach it is up to us. I'm able to teach during the times when my own kids are at school, so it fits perfectly into the "stay at home mom lifestyle." The pay is great for the School@Home program and then you can always choose to take on tutoring jobs as well if you have time or would like a little extra cash. I LOVE that the students are all over the USA! It's amazing to be able to bring these kiddos together as a class and help them really get to know each other and make progress in their education especially during this pandemic! The application and interview process were great and actually quite fun!It is a "quick start" situation where you're given your class list and your teacher guide and then before you know it class starts! If you do tutoring, you're given the name of the student, the concerns for them and then it's up to you to make the curriculum for that specific child. Sometimes you have to think outside of the box to be able to teach online but VT does everything they can to help support you with that.

Pros

Flexible scheduling up to you, work with students all over the USA, can work as much or as little as you want, you're able to make a difference in other's lives, you are given the freedom to teach in your own style, great pay, perfect for stay at home parents!

Cons

Not too much guidance other than the "teaching guide, " don't get to see your co-workers as it's remote, sometimes have to use quite a bit of creativity to teach concepts online

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Varsity Tutors. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2