WCED

Educator24 reviews
South Africa24 reviews

3,4Work-Life Balance

Not that bad.

There is no much to say about the western cape education department as it only focuses on the safety and security of the children. Depending on the school you worked at, mine was fine.

Overtime hours with no extra rumenuration.

Very stressful and time consuming. Leadership is not in line with real world issues. Ineffective communication between departments which leads to duplication of tasks. Departments also not on par with their job descriptions and often isn't aware of their core duties and obligations or how they fit into the 'chain' so that the company can run at its optimal potential.

Pros

You get paid on time.

Cons

Extra work without compensation.

Challenging ,sometimes unfriendly environment

Sometimes Grade R is not seen as important at school.We are mostly the attraction for fundraising events.The job is sometimes hard especially with the Department that changes the curriculum just when you thought you have mastered a skill things change like planning.Curriculum advisors that don't also give assistance where needed but comes into your class for 45 minutes and only criticize ,they are not there with you everyday ,don't know the challenges you face with the majority of children that comes from different backgrounds ,

Contract worker

Ive been a contract teacher for 3years now and I still haven't received permanency. Its frustrated because I cant move forward. I cant buy a house or a car and I feel that this is unfair.

productive and fun workplace

You must follow protocol and guidelines as set out in the NCS.Adhere to deadlines and requirements.Too many tasks over specific grades that has to be done.

Excellent

Professional and punctual at all times. Responsibility is key at all times. Focus on your outcomes and you will reach your goal easily. Assure the learners of there own confidence

productive and hard woring employees

Teach 7 different classes each day after register Planing of each lesson for the next day. after school is sports Working with the learners and see how they excels in there corresponding activities. Hardest part of the work was to know that there is little to non growth in the work place and Salary growth was also minimum.

Pros

School Holidays

Cons

Almost working ever weekend

Teach Maths Geography History and Natural science

Post level 1 Teacher Mathematics Natural Science Geography and History at Vredendal Secondary School Coaching sport. Enjoy reading. Excercise by jogging

Pros

Working with people

Fun and welcoming place

WCED is a vibrant and friendly community school to work in. The school offers a wide range of services teaching and learning, sport and music. The school iso full of friendly staff

Pros

Workshops

Cons

Paperwork

teaching

Challenging on daily basis, but motivational to start a day in the dynamic challenge of teaching. empowering young minds and seeing the seed you have planting for years.

Pros

willing to adapt

Cons

short temper for people that show uninterested in a project

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at WCED?

Teaching is fun

I am a Grade 5 Teacher. My job entails teaching children all the subjects in the WCED curriculum. I enjoy teaching and inspiring the youth of today. It’s my passion.

Depending on the Office and or Personnel

Worked for WCED. People can become very ambitious and start to make the environment an unpleasant place to be in. Will go back to work at WCED. However, would prefer to work in an office environment.

enjoyable

Fun learning environment; teacher development and learner development Workshops, camps, training, tutoring. Competitions, quizzes, afternoon classes, saturday classes...

Pros

making a difference in learners lives

Cons

Enjoyable and fun profesion to people who love it

I rewiew education as key to learning that equips the South African child to the future if all tools are there and ready for them to grab.

Pros

Teaher awards

Cons

During holidays

Government Education

Good subsidies. High demands. Team work essential. I have developed a philosophy of life-long learning. My day would start with briefing meetings and follow through with educating little ones to the best of my ability. Large classroom numbers with limited resources has been the most difficult part of my jobs. Lack of parental involvement was also a huge struggle for me. I enjoyed working with the children, who - for the most part, participated well.

Pros

Housing and Medical Aid

Cons

Extended working hours without reumeration

As an educator you must stay on trend with new teaching methods.

Come prepared but be flexible. Set high standards for all your students. Build a relationship with parents and care givers. Be will to take your admin home.

Pros

December Holiday

Cons

Social Media Conscious

Too much admin. 42-45 learners in class, learners have many personal problems.

At a public school in a area where parents dont care for their kids and they more street smart than book smart. Learners have alot of personal issues to work through before academics can be learnt. Contextual factor is 42 kids cramed in a classroom. You have to be tolerant. You have to be everything to the child.and counsel them.through certain personal factors and also love them immensely also be consistent and positive making learning fun being enthusiastic everyday.

Pros

Holidays

Cons

too much admin

Love the work place

I love the learners in my class. I love the experimental and creative side of technology. Being into technology and from a disadvantaged school using a whiteboard or mimio is like magic to them enhancing learning through play. I teach a full day juggling between Grade 8 and 9. Grade 8 _ Maths and Grade 9 _ Technology.

i view the workplace as a space fo learning becauese as a group we learn from each other.

I like teaching, I enjoy working with leaners, I support my learners in their studies and financially if I have to. some days are better than others at my workplace. The management try their best to support teachers. We are a nuclear family at my school we have no camps as I have heard from teachers from other schools. I am currently enjoying my new acing HOD position and I just hope for the best in my position currently. I work hand-in-hand with my team as we obey each other and always try to do what is best for the outcomes of the school and each individual learner.

Pros

i dont mind going the exra mile in my job, but i must be for a good reason.

Cons

working long hours is not a problem

Productivity in the workplace

Present at the Morning briefing meeting to ensure we relay relevant information to the learners, followed by teaching Business Studies and Computer Application Technology during the relevant periods. During recess and after school, I am responsible to assist learners with printing and researching for their assignments. I have learnt that planning and preparation for the day is of utmost importance as it influences the way the lecture and class functions, increases productivity and creates a good learning and working environment. Administrative tasks e.g. record keeping is very important as it allows one to reflect and helps in restructuring and adapting content to increase productivity. The co-workers are very supportive and can be approached for inter-curricular activity/content/tasks. The hardest part of the job is to respond appropriately to human emotion as it changes daily and affects productivity and the working environment. The most enjoyable part of the job is to see learners' progress and achieve the goals set in the department as well as their personal goal, this is satisfying as it shows growth academically and personally for both the learners and myself.

Pros

Learner and personal satisfaction

Very challenging field to work for

These is a field you can learn alot concerning curriculum , you need to be a good listener especially to the children you are teaching as some of them they need your love and your attention that they sometimes do not get at home due to different reasons, in what ever you doing you need to be a good management of time and also your classroom as everything is based on that, you must be a person who is willing to share your information with your co-workers and also listen to their ideas , a very friendly person the most enjoyable time for me its when I talk and listen to how they feel what makes them happy at school and at home and do they wish their classroom environment would be

Pros

Flexible working hours and alot of holidays

Cons

Ill disciplined learners

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WCED. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,4 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance
3,2 out of 5 stars for Salary/Benefits
3,1 out of 5 stars for Job Security/Advancement
3,0 out of 5 stars for Management
3,4 out of 5 stars for Culture
  • WCED
  • Educator
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?