WCED

WCED Employee Reviews for Teacher

Teacher9 reviews
South Africa9 reviews

3,4Work-Life Balance

productive and fun work place

productive and collaborative work place were team work plays a key role in implementing policies and delivering on the expected key responsibility areas.

Good place.

it is a good place to work. You get to make a difference in childrens lives. the environment is good and all the colleagues have a good understanding in this professional environment.

Pros

rewarding

Cons

administration

Productive and fun workplace

I work 7-3 each day and learn about people daily. My co-workers are hardworking individuals. Management is fantastic. I enjoy the job. It requires a great amount of patience and dedication.

Productive but fun

Morning brief with staff, on what to expect for the day. Morning prayer with grade 11 learners as I am head of grade. Learners off to first lesson, if there is any grade 11 issues such as learner not doing home, outstanding assessment task, learner absenteeism I deal with these before first break. Then I off to my class. The highlight of my day is my grade 12 classes and break time with staff members

Pros

Seeing learners growth

Cons

Having to take work home

Senior teacher working in the Intermediate and senior band in a Primary School.

The classroom is a challenging and demanding environment to work in. It requires a wide general knowledge apart from subject knowledge , researching and preparation in order to present an up to date and relevant curriculum to the learner. Classroom management is possible but always challenged due to the different socio-economic backgrounds of learners . Many surprises occur on a daily basis with regard to learner-behaviour. The normal school environment is very dynamic and requires a good ,consistent but disciplined approach in management .Co-workers are in most cases very supportive. The hardest part is to lead by example and to maintain your composure at all times even if provoked to the extreme. The most enjoyable part of the job is to experience the mastering of skills and the improvements in learner's behaviour , understanding of the subject content and the ability to apply their skills and knowledge in an efficient way.

Pros

Housing and medical allowance

Cons

Long hours of work, meeting deadlines.

Teacher

The job requires a lot of involvement/work especially after hours with basic salary..

Pros

Holidays

Cons

Limited time, Unlimited work

Productive work place

At the moment we are on the 7 day cycle with no off periods. This is my third year in teaching and what I have learned is to effectively work under pressure and work in perfect harmony with my colleagues to achieve a common purpose/goal. I have been appointed as Head of physical sciences department in my second year of teaching. The hardest part of the job is to educate learners who don't want to be educated. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you had some part in a child's life which will contribute to their success in life one day.

Pros

Holidays

Cons

The constant change in syllabus

A typical day

We start at 8 and continue with classes until 2:45. At 3 I would usually start with my extra-curricular activities. Extra-curricular activities could either be a sport, extra maths classes or preparing for a school function. What I loved about my job was working with an amazing group of people. They were fun, motivating and very helpful.

Pros

The long holidays

Cons

Working after hours

Challenging but fun as well

A typical day involves going to 5 different classes to teach. The job itself is challenging in a sense that we deal with kids from the Cape Flats some of which have major disciplinary challenges. Teaching Maths and Physics is also a challenge here since we are under resourced in terms of lab equipment etc. The job teaches one to plan, manage time and improve their communication skills. The most enjoyable part is when you can actually see that you have made a difference in someone's life.

Pros

more holidays than an average worker

Cons

lack of proffesional progress

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WCED. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,4 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance
3,2 out of 5 stars for Salary/Benefits
3,1 out of 5 stars for Job Security/Advancement
3,0 out of 5 stars for Management
3,4 out of 5 stars for Culture
  • WCED
  • Teacher
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?