WCED

Clear
3,4Work-Life Balance
3,2Pay & Benefits

Challenging ,sometimes unfriendly environment

Sometimes Grade R is not seen as important at school.We are mostly the attraction for fundraising events.The job is sometimes hard especially with the Department that changes the curriculum just when you thought you have mastered a skill things change like planning.Curriculum advisors that don't also give assistance where needed but comes into your class for 45 minutes and only criticize ,they are not there with you everyday ,don't know the challenges you face with the majority of children that comes from different backgrounds ,

Teach Maths Geography History and Natural science

Post level 1 Teacher Mathematics Natural Science Geography and History at Vredendal Secondary School Coaching sport. Enjoy reading. Excercise by jogging

Pros

Working with people

teaching

Challenging on daily basis, but motivational to start a day in the dynamic challenge of teaching. empowering young minds and seeing the seed you have planting for years.

Pros

willing to adapt

Cons

short temper for people that show uninterested in a project

Depending on the Office and or Personnel

Worked for WCED. People can become very ambitious and start to make the environment an unpleasant place to be in. Will go back to work at WCED. However, would prefer to work in an office environment.

Good place.

it is a good place to work. You get to make a difference in childrens lives. the environment is good and all the colleagues have a good understanding in this professional environment.

Pros

rewarding

Cons

administration

enjoyable

Fun learning environment; teacher development and learner development Workshops, camps, training, tutoring. Competitions, quizzes, afternoon classes, saturday classes...

Pros

making a difference in learners lives

Cons

Very challenging work environment, conditions worsening every year. No hands on assistance to staff throughout difficult times.

Most rewarding part is to be able to connect with learners at risk and guide them through their challenges, simultaneously growing yourself emotionally.

Pros

Three paid hilidays a year plus fringe benefits

Cons

Your work goes home with you!

Enjoyable and fun profesion to people who love it

I rewiew education as key to learning that equips the South African child to the future if all tools are there and ready for them to grab.

Pros

Teaher awards

Cons

During holidays

Flexible to work in a team

I am responsible, ambitious and able to work underpressure. Respect people's views and rights. I am able to meet deadlines. I don't have a problem with different characters so I can manage any person because we are coming from different back grounds and environments

Pros

I can work underpressure

Cons

I can use my time if the work is too much

Senior teacher working in the Intermediate and senior band in a Primary School.

The classroom is a challenging and demanding environment to work in. It requires a wide general knowledge apart from subject knowledge , researching and preparation in order to present an up to date and relevant curriculum to the learner. Classroom management is possible but always challenged due to the different socio-economic backgrounds of learners . Many surprises occur on a daily basis with regard to learner-behaviour. The normal school environment is very dynamic and requires a good ,consistent but disciplined approach in management .Co-workers are in most cases very supportive. The hardest part is to lead by example and to maintain your composure at all times even if provoked to the extreme. The most enjoyable part of the job is to experience the mastering of skills and the improvements in learner's behaviour , understanding of the subject content and the ability to apply their skills and knowledge in an efficient way.

Pros

Housing and medical allowance

Cons

Long hours of work, meeting deadlines.

productive

Productive workplace with supportive management. Everyday you have different challenges You have to keep your calm with the irate parents to at the end calm them down. Although we have our differences we still work as a team cause at the end of the day the school has to run like clockwork.

Pros

Holidays

Cons

no cons

i view the workplace as a space fo learning becauese as a group we learn from each other.

I like teaching, I enjoy working with leaners, I support my learners in their studies and financially if I have to. some days are better than others at my workplace. The management try their best to support teachers. We are a nuclear family at my school we have no camps as I have heard from teachers from other schools. I am currently enjoying my new acing HOD position and I just hope for the best in my position currently. I work hand-in-hand with my team as we obey each other and always try to do what is best for the outcomes of the school and each individual learner.

Pros

i dont mind going the exra mile in my job, but i must be for a good reason.

Cons

working long hours is not a problem

Fun workplace

WCED is a place to work for , it pays for my studies the benefits are good but its good to grow and fly so that you can learn more about the other companies rules and regulations, policies and conducts.

Pros

50% fringe benefits for medical

Cons

Normal hours

Challenging

Love the interaction with learners. The dilemna I had in teaching was the excessive voice usage. I subsequently had 2 operations on my vocal cords to remove polyps. The quality of my voice badly affected. Unable to project voice. therefore left teaching

Pros

School holidays

Cons

Long hours. Minimal time for family

Very challenging field to work for

These is a field you can learn alot concerning curriculum , you need to be a good listener especially to the children you are teaching as some of them they need your love and your attention that they sometimes do not get at home due to different reasons, in what ever you doing you need to be a good management of time and also your classroom as everything is based on that, you must be a person who is willing to share your information with your co-workers and also listen to their ideas , a very friendly person the most enjoyable time for me its when I talk and listen to how they feel what makes them happy at school and at home and do they wish their classroom environment would be

Pros

Flexible working hours and alot of holidays

Cons

Ill disciplined learners

fun work place

long hours but funLearned how to work under pressureGot to meet new people and interact with different culturesHardest part of the job is the amount of work expected to be done and energy draining.Enjoyable part is the salary, especially for student such as myself.

Pros

free super if working late

Cons

Good, but benefits in the Abet division can progress.

My day started at 8hOO in the morning, when I organize the places, where I have to supervise, as well as checking that all registers will be in order for the afternoon and evening classes. According to the yearplanner and lesson plan for each day, it was my job to see that all the activities and material is in order, so that the teachers can be well-equipped to present the work to the class. I tried through the years to work as a team with the educators which is responsible for the classes as well as with the centrum-manager and Governing Body, As I worked in a wide area, I had to travel far to the classes in the afternoon and evening. I also had to attend reguraly meetings with the other Site-Coordinators and Centrum-Managers in my area If their was a staff-meeting in the Boland-region, I had to travel far. The most enjoyable part of my job, was the learners. I loved them. They became part of my life and the reason for me to go on, on a daily basis. I love to see them grow and progress from level tot level. I learned from them to appreciate the small things in live! My evenings during the week had end on 22hOO after the classes ends.

Pros

free lunches, information, appreciation

Cons

long hours, lack of learning material, own transport and petrolfees, unequipped centrum managers.

Rewarding

Best for security and stability. Classroom teaching. Great working hours with benefits, all government employee benefits. Time to spend with families when it's school holidays.

Pros

government perks

Cons

no opportunity for promotion and growth

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WCED. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,4 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance