Western Cape Department of Health
3,6 out of 5 stars.

Western Cape Department of Health Employee Reviews

South Africa25 reviews

3,9Work-Life Balance

Can be stressful at times but if you have a good team, then you can overcome any obstacles

My experience while working on contract in the department was great. Had great team work and a great manager. Wouldn't trade them for anything in this world

Pros

Sometimes rewarding

Fun

It is very nice to work for department of health bt the are very very unfair on inters a lot,I never got a perment post at all instead this year I got intership again still no perment

It's a family site where you work as a team

I'm not a good person when it comes to reviewing but I'm hundred percent sure that my work speaks for me.. I'm sure of the work I represent and I love working with everyone in the work.

Pros

Free tea and coffee lunches

Cons

Extra hours

Productive, maturely accountability n responsibilities

Working in government departments as an intern gave me so much information that I knew nothing of. It helped me to grow mentally and to get better understand of chronic and patients; being able to communicate with different types of people attitude and their mind set. Knowing Batupele principles helped a lot because even if it is your lunch time you cannot just leave without helping people who are waiting for you.

Pros

Tshirts

Cons

Saturday

Concern of the equity act when it comes to employ people.

Concern of the equity act when it comes to employ people.The online applications took longer to answer and sometimes there is no feed back.advertise more work.The experience people who resign can get another chances to work reson been still got great experience

Good

Cons

The hours is find

The atmosphere when you enter should be a place of decent honest working people.

I need the experience so that I applied when I begin to start with the career that I learning for me. The world would be the same due to this virus. I could learn slot about how the workplace environment is all about.

Pros

It depends on the season and weather.

Cons

An hour and half would be reasonable.

Very good exposure, really learned a lot.

The most enjoyable part of my job as an Acute Pain Sister were when all patients referred to me was comfortable pain wise on the pain plan given to them. If ever find a client still complaining of pain even on a proper pain plan me as the pain sister could give pain education and reassure the patient who believe tablets is not for them.

Great work environment

I have learned so much at the Depart. I have grown over the years in my line of work. Great respect for the employees n management. Travelled with the team.

Excellent working conditions, despite shortness of staff we have everything that we need to execute our tasks

Working for the department of health, in Vredenburg Hospital give me the opportunity to grow as a person, I had hard time in the emergency centre with complicated cases, but good response from level 2 hospitals. As part of the management team, challenges are present every day but at the end is to give a quality care

great learning opportunities

As a community service professional nurse i found my placement to be adequate and full of excellent learning opportunitiess to further my knowledge regarding nursing.

Demanding

Demanding Stressful Overburdened Poorly resourced Fast paced good hours easy to maintain a good work/life balance generally positive and helpful staff

Good benefits. Just take long on feedback after interviews

Good working environment Great benefit Just delay in communication with successful or non successful candidates after interviews and long waiting process.

On your feet all the time which makes time go buy easier and productive. The clinic is interdependent and we always need each other for advice and consistency with patients.

Pros

Good Lunches

Cons

Busy

Good job security

Although job security is good the work is really monotonous, a lot of red tape and office politics. Really no progression and promotions available. EE plays a big part in hiring here even if you are the most qualified person.

Benefits

Cons

Monotonous work

Exciting & Satisfying

Great place to work. My role was to realise the setup & establishment of a fully functional MDR-TB support structure for the Department of Health. Train administrative staff at clinics throughout the West Coast District. Arrange a transport network for outreaches & support visits to clinics. Establish relationships with existing MDR-TB Units & relevant Department of Health role players. Perform daily personal assistant duties for the coordinator of the MDR-TB program by providing effective administrative support, time management duties, and diary management services.

Pros

Package

Cons

Irregular hours & lots of travel.

Productive Workplace

Productive Workplace. An employee can be assured to develop both practical skills and knowledge skills in the sector that he/she practices in. Provision is made for additional educational workshops.

Different pathologies, great learning opportunities

Work normally begins around 8am and end at 4pm. You learn about your profession, diagnosing and treatment as well as communication strategies for the different people you come across. The staff is normally helpful and supportive which creates an enjoyable environment to work in.

Pros

Helping people in need

Cons

Lack of resources

Fast Pace requires strategic and critical thinkling

SCM as provided me the opportunity to sharpen my Skills in administration.the environment is fast paced and busy. most challenging part of the job is consolidations each month.

Pleasant and comfortable working environment

Working for the WCDH was nice and enjoyable, I learned a lot working there,things that I didn't learn when I was doing my practicals as a student. It was an eye opener in many angles. The staff and colleague are easy out going people who are willing to help and easy to interact with. The hardest part is when the patient is completely wrong but we must act like they right because we fear of being report as IL-treating the patience as professional nurses.

Productive environment

I worked very hard in a day you havto deal with labour, trauma,general ad theatre patients. These staff work very hard and had a shortage of staff too. Morale is a bit low because staff works very hard and burn out.

Pros

Cons

Long hours and hard work

Safe at work place

Safely feeling at work gave me and my colleagues a sold friendship. Supporting our managers and prioritising patients before our needs was also one of a kind achievement i encounter & winning a personal award 2008 as a BEST MEDIC is still one of a kind

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Cape Department of Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,9 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance