Western Cape Government

Western Cape Government Employee Reviews

A typical day would be to go through emails and then go to helpdesk to see which library sites that had network problems then we call them to make sure if their problems are fixed if they, we close the call and if not, we visit that site
To exert my expertise in practice of my career, enhance effectiveness and efficiency in the discharge of my responsibilities and contribute to the actualization of the goals of the organization that I am given privileged to work in also I am Self-motivated, hardworking, Flexibility to change and Goal driven person.
Has enabled me to gain a lot of working experience . Ethical working standards but sometimes one has to work longer hours & transparency in management
Pros
Good working enviroment, ethical working standards, custeomer orientated
Cons
The workforce especially in the Western Cape is very old with the mentality of this is how its always been done. You have quite a bit of opportunity to constantly learn something new about the inside workings of government and you become to realize even though there are some amazing projects happening the wheel turns extremely slowly and this can be really frustrating.
Pros
Stability
Cons
No succession planning, innovation, progression. Toxic culture
With so much work that but still our work is still very relaxed and productive with high professional standards. Managers treat employees as their equals which makes motivates high staff morale.
Pros
medical aid, housing allowance, 13th cheque
Cons
No career growth, unsatisfying remuneration and benefits.
I would start my day at 07:30am till 4pm diligently and I would query higher authority or colleagues with longer experience which documents for the day needed to be captured into the database and where it needs to be stored. I had learned the importance of process orientation(complete what needs to be done and sticking to the process will enable me to meet deadlines) and how to adapt to environments(ethical).The management of work had been efficient when sticking to the process of capturing and storing of sectioned documents diligently. The workplace culture had been sophisticated(professional/ethical) and supportive social engagements.The most enjoyable part of the job was that there were no problems in the workplace(colleagues/authority) or the job and I would regard getting to work on time is the hardest part but manageable at the same time.
Pros
Simplicity in occupational duties.
Cons
Every day is a day to look forward to, with the curiosity and anxiety of meeting new people everyday.I learn a a lot about people management and how to conduct and resolve a certain problem or how to answer enquirers from citizens in a productive and simplest form for them to understand.Hardest part of my job is that i get citizens that don't want to be told what to do and when, but i learnt that the way you approach them counts because it makes them feel free if you are friendly and calm.
Over population in classes, building structure not conducive to learning and teaching. Management style caters for different individuals. fun to work with them.
i have achieved the skill of communication, team player,reliable, to work under pressure, meet deadlines, leadership as there was a variety of skills to achieve because of the various departments
Pros
one hour lunch
Cons
nothing
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Western Cape Government?
I found it very experiencing to work for government,it was sometimes difficult before i get used to the place but i took that as a learning activity.i'm 100% sure that when this course end/when i leave this place in march i will be out with full experience because i have learnt a lot from the job i do not regret being here, moving to registry was a challenge but i managed to learn fast and my supervisors were very good with me,the boring part of the job was doing file requests were by you have to run up and down looking for the files,but out of it i gained a lot of experience cause i learnt the types of files and the types of departments people fall under the enjoyable part of the job was to j track the file and to do the Emailing were you confirm that the files are ready for collection and were you have to assist the clients on the counter,i learnt a lot of staff also to do data base,filing and setting up meetings, to reschedule meetings on the diary,Admin job is what i learnt mostly ,The environment i'm working on is good including the people i'm working with,they are kind,understanding,helpful and caring.
Pros
Non
Cons
Non
Work place is nice with diverse people. You have to stand your grounds and remember what you are here to do. Politics can influence you if you do not have a backbone.
Translating, editing, proofreading, revision, language advisory services, development of terminology, liaison with clients, copywriting for Better Together magazine, online content management
Pros
medical aid, pension
Cons
Low salary
It was a great experience, I learned a lot and met quite amazing people. The working environment was explicit and makes you want to go the extra mile.
Pros
Alot of experiences
Cons
Not much stability
Exciting opportunity for growth and experience. I enjoyed working with the employees and fellow colleagues, supervisors are good. Good company for expertise.
Pros
Exciting bonding opportunities
Cons
N/a
Clock in at 07h00 and at 07h15 I go to the daily morning meeting were we discus what the job for the day is. I learned how to work with challenging students and how to help them with there school work and how to work with different individuals The workplace is a friendly environment where we have different tasks every day ranging from administration tasks to helping teacher in lessons with group work. The hardest part of the job is to assist teacher with challenging students. Is to work with the children and to develop there character so that they can know what they want to become in life.
Pros
Cons
6hours per day
Working for the government was stress free and easy. My work colleagues was very nice and helpful, I learned a lot through them. The hardest part of the job was getting so early up in the morning to dodge the traffic. I enjoyed working with my colleagues because they made my day at work a happy one and I wish I could get another opportunity to work for the Western Cape Government again.
Pros
Free Lunch, Free Tea Breaks
Cons
Higher level colleagues have a bad attitude towards lower level colleagues.
Great place to work at. The people I work along side are amazing , always motivating and encouraging me. Even the cleaning staff are so friendly. My working hours are very awesome it doesn't interfere with my personal life.
No day was the same, was very rewarding helping citizens of the western cape with their queries, I learnt a lot with regards to government policies and regulations especially the liquor act.
Pros
Social day every month end
Cons
Salary
A great space for learning and collaboration. Bureaucracy is ultimately what makes the job difficult. The knowledge that your work can make a positive impact on citizens is very rewarding.
High salaries, low work, high training; if you can get through the nepotism and affirmative action. The bureaucracy will hamper any clerical submissions, but no one seems to mind blaming it - for example, waiting for a month for a computer terminal - as it means more time watching series and films on your mobile.
A great place to work and learn about skills development on a strategic level as well as about the education pipeline from general to post-school education. Identifying the gaps between supply and demand and addressing systemic issues to minimize the gap was is the most enjoyable and hardest part.
Pros
Bursary and housing benefit
Cons
limited advancement