Woolworths South Africa
4,0 out of 5 stars.

Woolworths South Africa Employee Reviews for Department Manager

Woolworths has good work ethics,look after their employees including employees family's, in a sense that should an employee pass away their kids education will be taken care of by Woolies, given a chance I would work for Woolworths again. I really enjoyed myself at Woolworths except for the days of Store visits and Store audits those are extremely stressful days
Pros
Good medical aid, good funeral benefits, growth opportunities given, waste, uniform discounts for management and W rewards for staff and management etc
Cons
Long hours some weekends where you are unable to attend family gatherings etc
I worked for this company for 12 years, opportunity for growth is great depending on your drive and attitude.I would consider working for this company again for sure..They set the bar high..
Pros
Great work life balance opportunity, very disciplined environment, great benefits
Cons
Alarm callouts
They have very high expectations for their employees .which is great for growth and motivation. However your not promoted on merit rather on favouritism.
At Woolworths things changes with time so when you work there you need to make sure that you move with the vision of the company and they make sure that they take training their staff seriously
Pros
Awards
Cons
As a manager you dont get overtime pay
It is inspiring to know that I am free to give my input on the company day to day implementations, and the exciting part is that my team get motivated by the culture of recognition which is alive in the company.
Woolworths is a great employer when it comes to equipping it's employees with knowledge and their company discounts are a cherry on top . Under management there is no 13th cheque however one is given an option to structure one from your own salary. Career advancement opportunities are also okay.
Pros
Knowledge
Cons
13th cheque
Intense store to be in. Always busy, always soemthing to do. Lovely atmosphere to be in when it is busy around Christmas and sale periods. The vibe in the store is awesome.
Pros
discount on food purchases
Cons
long hours, weekends, public holidays
It is good to work for this company and there there is life balance because we get time off from time to time and can spend time with my family and friends
Cons
Working for woolworths is great comes with good benefit enough rest I like most of the thngs about da company m great ful for the experience I aquired
Cons
Enough hours of work
Every day is different and full of surprises. I have learned that you can't expect your day to ever go as you planned due to the rapid changing environment in retail. Management is very well trained and the culture differs from each store. The hardest part of the job would be to manage balance between every day activities and unforeseen tasks that might appear during the day. The part that is most enjoyable would be the work schedule of a manager as you do get a lot of off time and are only required to work one weekend a month.
Pros
discount of waste sales
Cons
Working public holiday's and Christmas
Staff is motivated there is always support when you need it Information is always available on how to improve yourself great leadership programs. Great Culture overall
Pros
enough rest
Cons
Too Many Policies
The company is moving towards change but there are people pulling the invented changes backward on practicing their primitive style of managing nd personalising things and use thm against one another as conflict of interest. Thy company has great initiatives and living great values which leads them to succes
Pros
Model store road show
Cons
Flexibility is there
Typical day includes starting with a brief staff meeting, discussing and reviewing previous day's performance and planning for the current one. Checking emails, prioritizing responses based on deadlines and order of importance. Walking the floor before the Store opens to ensure readiness and neatness. Checking replenishment levels, checking the Stockrooms for any surplus and filing up the gaps.
Pros
Laid back environment
Cons
Influx of emails some with tight deadlines.
interesting and driving processes , customer relations ,dealing with challenges great management team. simple work with different type of people. when we achieve our targets as a group.
Pros
potential growth opportunities
Undoubtedly the most enjoyable environment to work at. Rose through the ranks to be a department Manager and Assistant store Manager releaving the Manager. 8:00 at the Store but at times earlier from 5:00 am to monitor the Foods early morning team when receiving stock and maintaining the cold chain process. And the smooth running of the receiving function. Foods department meeting with the Foods team leader to follow up on paperwork. Clothing, home and general merchandise floor walks and ensuring disciplines are in place to ensure smooth operation fo the shop floor. Administration work and checking emails for Head office instructions. Reconcilling the paper work as per norm. Liasing with Stockroom and operations co-ordinators to ensure everything is in order to report to the Store Manager. Submitting paperwork to the administration Manager to be captured. Monitoring daily markdowns and ensuring C.C.T.V. works properly and well. All departments floor walks delegating team leaders and members to ensure disciplines are in place to create a condusive environments for staff and customers to work in. Report back to store Manager on stock problems and handling customers queries. Maintaining 100% operation of the departments.Staff scheduling for the weeks and handling IR issues by enforcing policies.
Pros
Waste food and discounted staff purchases.
Cons
The demand and nature of keeping up with a medium sized store, and also the long hours worked.
Woolworths is a company with a good mission statement. It has created a lot of opportunities for everyone in the population.
Pros
Intergrated Performance Management
Cons
growth outside the organisation academically, shifts, no longer have dining for staff
Our company is retail, so I do different shifts. They coordinate my movements based on my performance in the current store. I have learned to be a good role model and a coach, I have identified my strengths and weaknesses. The company is very sustainable and very clear with their plans, achievements and their goals. My job is deadline driven and I'm a very passionate person, eager to learn so what I can say there's nothing I find hard in my job because when I do it I accomplish all the set tasks and targets. What I enjoy is to see the business making profit because know I added value to that, to see my positive contributionts to other employees excelling and learning something new.
Pros
Trainings
Cons
salary
Procedures are well written to assist you with your day to day work. Well manageable staff. Sharing of information from top to bottom. Good training facilities
Pros
Training and Reviews usin omnibus
Cons
Long hours and weekends in
We would have meetinngs before the day starts to have our game plan.Where we discuss our target for the day and our promotions and also who will be in which department in terms of management.
Pros
Internships for higher positions, Bursaries
displaying and filling up the racks and ensuring maximum sales. Moving new lines to hot spots or high traffic areas. Communicated new ideas to management that often forwarded me the opportunity to exercise my ideas. Led my co workers with the same ideas. I loved it when my ideas were a success and enjoyed it when sales were great as a result thereof.
Pros
Good opportunities to purchase at cost.
Cons
Took long for promotion as there were many trainee managers.
Woolworths is a good Company i enjoyed myself very much here and i realy felt like a professional here and the diploma i obtained from them after completing their training made me proud,i would love to work for them again
Pros
bonuses were good
Cons
cant complain the hous were ok