YMCA

YMCA Employee Reviews

South Africa32 reviews

3,9Work-Life Balance

Found 32 reviews matching the searchSee all 31 479 reviews

Fun , energetic and good vibes all round

Energetic and interactive , i always looked forward to going to work.Having to work and stay ( live ) on the grounds had it's ups and downs. I could always turn to some of the other staff and even the CEO if was having troubles or problems. Very understanding in circumstances in your personal life. It was a joy working at the YMCW

Pros

Gaining experience

Cons

Working at night and also being on standby during the day

ymca is a very good organization that help people that are in need

Ymca is the best organization that help people that are in need with found their family's have good aducation good health good food and have a good relationship with their family's.

Pros

i don't know what to say.

Cons

Fun to meet people but the chef was rude

I worked at the Horsetheif Reservoir near Cascade, ID and it was pretty fun and I don't regret it. However, the chef was super rude and not patient at all. Whatever he says, you have to laugh it off and not let it get to you. We barely got any time off and sometimes worked over 50 hours a week because we did not have a lot of help. I did meet a lot of great people though and had fun making connections.

Pros

fun coworkers

Cons

hard work and long hours

I pove working here and would recommend anyone to work for them

The only reason I am considering leaving the YMCA is because my husbands job requires us to relocate. I have never had a problem with them and would recommend them to any and all of my friends.

Pros

Off on public holidays and weekends

Cons

Contract

It was fun, very challenging with targets to be riched per cycle.

It was a great challeng.helped me grow as I was a team leader in my group in three months after joining YMCA sitting in all meetings being stakeholders,ambassadors meeting,co-ordinators meeting and even co-chair co-ordinators meeting.

productive and innovative

A typical day at work involved helping around with other employees' tasks. I learned about giving back to the community. I mostly enjoyed working with the homeless and giving them food. the most challenging part was staff meetings, learning about finance and contributing to ways to boost the N.G.O. financially. I learned about leadership and problem solving.

Pros

free lunch

Cons

N/a

Educative and Productive

my experience with the YMCA was very educative as it was my first time being exposed to the prison environment. the organization was christian based which was making everything easy especially working with the inmates. at first it was difficult for me as i was scared to be surrounded by inmates. what i enjoyed most was when there was a graduation program for inmates who has completed the program.

Pros

stipant

It is a youth based organisaation

A learning and growing environment , It is conducive for a young person to develop them selves professionally and personally. The management understands the concept of grooming young people.

Pros

Travelling

Cons

less money

Managed rooms and kitchen

Book in and out of resident's. Check staff time sheets. Issue out the stock to clean rooms. And issue out the food that needs to be cooked for resident's.

Fun relaxed place to work

I enjoy the clientele and my coworkers. I also enjoyed teaching classes and sharing my knowledge of nutrition and exercise with others. I love how the Y is not just a gym but a community.

awesome youth organisations

i have learn that the youth is actually the leaders of tomorrow. but if we as youth dont take that stand we will just be a breath of air and a breath of carbinadioxide again and again.

Pros

awesome exchange programs

Cons

long hours yes we also must work as well under pressur at times

Great learning and development experience

a typical day is very productive without being stressful. you learn to work with many people in varying situations. the hardest part is adapting to the needs of the young people as and when it is necessary. the most enjoyable part is to see them grow and also learning about yourself.

Pros

very flexible hours

Cons

N/a

good stepping stone to a proper employment

I was in high school,doing it part-time and it taught me that its never too early to start thinking of your future,sacrifice does come with rewards..good moral fiber

Pros

community engagements

Cons

weekend working

Available Upon Request

Available Upon Request - This was a college and summer job that I did while attending classes. It was mainly utilized as an opportunity to provide a networking experience.

a plce with productive people

YMCA taught me to communicate fluently, now beacuse of YMCA I am able to write inhouse publications like posters and newsletters. I was a part time voluteer but everything was going very well as the staff was friendly and productive. The job did have challenges during street kids programmes as they are stubborn but the events were there to make us happy as we were uniting with different kinds of people.

Pros

enjoyable Team building programmes

Cons

much work

Productive and fun work place

Good place to work at, enjoyable and can feel impact you are making in the community. Easy going atmosphere and there is different programmes provided.

Pros

free lunch

Cons

salary not market-related

productive and fun workplace

YMCA is working very great with community especially youth the programs that they have really touch tje lives of youth in a positive way. They reaaly do render service.

Very productive and organised.

The YMCA is an organisation that gives back to the community and also provides children with a purpose by giving them the opportunity to find out what it is they actually want to become in life.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

i loved working for ymca because i worked with prople and listening to them giving hope and helping wherever i can

YMCA gave me a good platform and training for HIV/Aids and tb ,my passion is working with people.I grew as a person meet people and making friends that was amazing also giving back and working in my community and seeing what our people are faced with in life. It gave me the courage to take a step higher and become a home base carer so yes ymca were good to me and will always be thankful for wht they did.Im working as a carer now but bring a counselor will stay one of my biggest passions making a difference in peoples lives who are faced with the challegers of living wth HIV/aids my goes out to them young and old those affected and infected

YMCA is an non-profit Organistation that is assisting the kids after care, Orphanage,and other organisation...We assist them with their homeworks&proj

We prepare for the day program.and what i learn is to co-operate with other people and learn more about what they been throughand we also deal with people who who come from poor background and poor society. My co-workers are kind people who are willing to help and so patient about you. There hardest part in the job is that we meet different attitude that you need to endure to understand and also help. The most enjoyable part of the job is you work in different department which make you gain lot of experience and you always given a chance to learn new things.

Pros

free lunches

Cons

short hours

Fun, energetic workplace

Fast-paced, long days but rewarding work. You will learn leadership, positivity and ability to work in stressful situations. Completely responsible for the safety and well-bring of children.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Based on 31 479 reviews