Zando

Zando Employee Reviews

South Africa40 reviews
2,0
Working at Zando is kinda like Game of Thrones. It started out REALLY GREAT then really falls flat at the end. If you need to get out of a call centre or customer-focused workplace then this offers a better alternative, especially to those in call centres. But in terms of career growth and working in other departments including marketing and buying, it's incredibly selective.

Pay was "okay" but the benefits were lacking.

Maybe avoid.
Pros
Better alternative to working in a call center
Cons
Lack of transparency from upper management
5,0
I've been with Zando for over 2 years now and although it's super fast paced with lots going on, I have loved every minute of it. Passionate people doing really cool stuff, lots of learning and sharing with colleagues as well as socialising, team builds and a big focus on keeping us happy. Yes you need to work hard here, but it's so worth it. Highly recommend if you want a career in ecommerce or fashion!!
5,0
I haven't been with the company that long but the transition has definitely been seamless, my Manager allows me to run my desk independently along with providing constant support and guidance where needed.

The graduate program provides the much needed insight into different departments (great for those new to this industry) and also allows you to get to know everyone.

Regular meetings/ stand-ups keeping everyone informed of what's happening in the company, very open to ideas and new initiatives.
Pros
Flexi hours, support from management, casual environment, transparency
5,0
Pros:
# a lot of responsibility for an intern

# was asked to participate and share opinion

# open, learning culture

# nice colleagues

# social environment

# challenge you in your day to day job

# you can see the results of your work

# approachable top management, including C-level

Cons:

# only few intern positions - try to get one!

# company policy is to start fairly early
1,0
Don't consider this place if you care about your mental health. This place is toxic to the core.
The heads of department have a blatant disregard for general staff & you will often be stifled & undermined no matter how hard you try to succeed at this company.

They'll tell you that there's 'opportunity' here, but that's because you are expected to perform multiple functions and fill many roles without being compensated for it - they'll make it seem like 'experience' but it's really just a front for their poor management of staff and inability to fill roles. Simply : YOU WILL BE OVERWORKED FOR NO EXTRA PAY.

This place is no start-up, they are a fully-formed company functioning with a tiny staff count, despite having global ties.

Your grievances are never heard and when they are adressed (which is rarely), they are quickly forgotten or swept under the rug to protect the company's reputation and the managers' egos.

As for the physical working environment, the floors are barely cleaned, the canteen's ceilings leak during winter, there are rats running wild in the office and the building has poor ventillation overall.
5,0
Zando is a very forward-thinking and innovative company to work for.
It is fast-paced and with this comes a pressurised environment at times but it is very rewarding working for Zando. Management and HR listen to employee concerns and they try their best to accommodate everyone. Management is transparent, constantly keeping employees up to date. I would recommend working at Zando.
Pros
Transparency, fast paced environment, flexi-time
5,0
Pros:

Really good work-life balance

Great development opportunities

Great working environment

Great state-of-the-art tech stack

Great and ambitious goals

Great inclusive culture

You see the impact of your work

Your are involved in decision making and your opinion counts

Cons:

Team focus shifts in line with business requirement so you have to stay flexible
Pros
as above
Cons
as above
5,0
I truly enjoy my time with Zando - probably one of the best emplyoers I've ever had.

Challenging and exciting tasks, casual atmosphere, good salary and ,any benefits.

Zando has evolved into a state-of-the-art compnay where work is rewarded, recognized and has an impact. I have worked in many fashion companies so far, but none was as cool as this company .. I am happy and proud to work here. The atmosphere is very open, laid back, but at the same time high performance oriented.

here are many events and I particularly enjoy the open communication.

When you start at Zando you have the opportunity to participate in a "Graduate Program" during which you get insights into all different departments of the business. This has allowed me to understand the needs of my colleagues and at the end of the day I feel like this has improved the intra-departmental productivity.

What I also really enjoy are the weekly Stand-Ups - every Monday your Manager will explain what is going on in other departments of the company.

Last but not least the office space is very cool and a good mix of open space and privacy - the canteen area could have bigger table though.
Pros
fresh fruit and vegetables, various drinks for free, flexitime, company culture, nice casual colleagues
5,0
In a nutshell - you learn A LOT in a very short period of time.

Zando is all about empowering the individual employee and teaching them how to become a better. It is the first company where the start-up feel is truly lived and the opportunities are simply endless.

- super motivated colleagues

- good management

- good working atmosphere

- many opportunities to learn and to develop

- sometimes a lot of pressure but one also has a lot of advantages to make things happen

- fast career advancement

- amazing office space

- they actually & truly care about you if you are upfront and honest

- fast paced environment
Pros
you learn a lot, very approachable Management, beans to grind coffee ;-)
Cons
nothing really
3,0
what i have learned is customer services
they teach you how to handle orders which customers return back to the warehouse

also i love my job because its a daily job meaning Mon-Fri and the hours are great but im willing to work more hours if only they had that
5,0
I must say I was quite surprised when I read the feedback about Zando as my experience at Zando has been absolutely wonderful!

I have been with the company for almost 5 years. I have had amazing career growth and I am still learning new things (across the business) every day. Zando gives you as an employee autonomy and you are given the freedom to excel in your position. It is obviously up to the employee and their motivation and I understand that this might not be everyone’s preference but if you are driven and ambitious then Zando is great! I love the open and friendly culture and enjoy coming to work each day.
Pros
Growth, Caring culture, nice working environment
1,0
HR lack humanity. They're too busy having coffee, matching their shoes to each other and chatting with management.

Management is rude and uncultured. Favoritism and nepotism run wild within the walls of Zando.

Management really don't care about your growth, you need to keep quiet and work, even when you're being openly disrespected and under immense pressure.

If you want to make a change then this is not the place for you. Processes and respect are things that are unheard of so don't waste your breath if your needs are growing within your field, growing within the business and taking things to the next level.

Flexi-hours are not really flexi, overtime is an unwritten rule and don't expect to get paid for it.

No one stays for long and they make examples of long standing employees but most of those people are on their way out anyway so don't fall for that. The place is draining and toxic.

The offices are disgusting. There was a rat decomposing in one of the departments. It's stomach fell out of it's body as one of the employees tried to remove it.
Pros
If I can think of one i'll come back and insert it here
Cons
Working there.
1,0
I applied to work for Zando even though I read the horrible reviews on this very informative site, hoping my experience would be different. Please learn from me, kids, everything you read on here is true.

When I started working for Zando, everything in the garden was rosy until they moved the content department to a small little room in their Montague Gardens warehouse.

Our working conditions and environment is unhealthy. The matchbox-sized office they put us in has no ventilation, no natural sunlight and we basically inhaled each other's carbon dioxide. As one can imagine, we fell ill a lot and were advised to take immune boosters in order to cope with our ridiculous targets.

Let's move over to the kitchen, shall we? On most days we have a filthy kitchen with no running water. We have to go downstairs to wash our hands before meal times, wipe the kitchen surface with a dirty cloth after we prepped our food, and we have an ADDIS bakkie for a kitchen sink. Also, we don't have cutlery. Every morning you will find both studio & content teams perfecting the art of making their daily cup of coffee with knives (should there be any available). There are days when we don't even have drinkable water.

Basically, the warehouse staff is neglected and they only care for the HQ staff.

Management rarely acknowledges our existence, and when they do, they talk to us in a condescending manner. Let's not even touch on the HR subject.

Zando has an excellent team of creatives who 1) aren't allowed to express themselves creatively 2) are overworked, undervalued and underpaid.
 - more...
Pros
2 ply toilet paper, amazing content and studio team
Cons
Management, favouritism, lack of kitchen maintenance, lack of cutlery, job insecurity, unreliable hr staff, low salary, no growth
1,0
The amount of people that come and go is unsettling. Little to no growth. Shady HR team. Incapable management. Definitely don't expect a thank you for going above and beyond. Do expect a small box of smarties as gratitude for 5 years of service.
Pros
Flexi time, great location
Cons
Job insecurity, obstinate management, no back-up from HR
5,0
The only reason why I enjoyed working at Zando is because there are so many beautiful girls. That was my only drive to get to get to work everyday. ..
Pros
Beautiful Ladies
Cons
Beautiful Ladies
1,0
I have never seen people walk in and out of a company so fast. No company culture at all, just a sweat shop with a pretty, barely functional, online store.
Pros
Merchandise Discounts
Cons
Poor Salary, No Growth and Condescending heads of department
5,0
First of all I would like to say that I am really not a job-hopper, but over the last 5 years I just happened to work for 3 different eCommerce players in South Africa in Business Development & strategy roles.

Out of the three roles I would definitely rank Zando the highest - my reasons:

# Most technologically advance thanks to international network of companies. At Zando things have been done fast but always smart. I really enjoyed this thinking and especially at T... I lacked a sense of strategy and direction

# Business Acumen - I learnt a lot about the commercial factors to run a business at Zando. They have they numbers in mind at whatever they do and they do it smart. I was very impressed with that and compared to there standards both, T... and S... acted like they are sitting on an indefinite stack of money that can be burned

# Honesty, Transparency & Culture - Zando is still a start-up at heart. They do not come with all benefits of an established company, but they are honest, transparent and genuine. They really build a culture and want their employees to be happy at work and develop. I really liked this thinking of empowerment.

Unfortunately I relocated earlier this year so that I had to move away from Zando, but also eCommerce. I miss it.
Pros
you work with smart people, fast paced, commercial leader, innovative
Cons
Warehouse & HQ are not at same location which I found sometime difficult
5,0
I've been working at Zando for a while now and I have to say that out of all the companies I have worked for, Zando has been the best by far. I've been exposed to so many areas of the business and am constantly learning and being challenged (in a good way) with the support of my manager and the CEO who are big on knowledge sharing and growing people who want to succeed. Yes the expectations are high at Zando and I work hard, but at the end of the day I manage my own time and am able to work flexi-hours without being watched because I am getting my work done. If you are passionate and driven then Zando is an amazing place to work for your career.
Pros
flexi-hours, staff discount, growth & development
2,0
Zando expects employees to pull rabbits out of a hat. The company expects you to achieve extremely high targets without any proper systems to operate on. Management aims for extreme targets without focusing on building the fundamentals such as systems and basic retail operations.

The CEO is young and intelligent but does not have a retail background so he does not prioritize the purchasing departments needs.

Management has no sympathy for the workload and time it takes to complete tasks. You are expected to go above and beyond at all times but don't expect a thank you or any incentives as reward for hard work.

Zando promotes a flexible environment which encourages work and family life balance however the workload requires more work time in place of family time.

Remuneration is not in line with the industry standards. Zando pays as little as possible with below inflation annual increases.

I would not recommend it as a company to work.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Long hours; low pay with low increases; lack of resources
5,0
My first day at Zando I was introduced to the Z'culture way of life.I was welcomed by my colleagues and taken for lunch at the company's expense.The Hr staff are amazing and very supportive ,there was no "im lost"feeling.My first week I had to dive right in ,everyone in my team was very helpful and supportive.
In my 4months at Zando ,i was part of a team that won department of the year...yes even I got a certificate.

The workload ,although massive...you always had someone rooting for .Dropping lollipops or donuts on your desk to say "hey! You got this!" As an employee you get staff discount ,fruit,coffee and the occasional gift ....theres always an excuse to motivate staff.Teams often go on cool team buildings on the company expense....it kinda makes up for the long hours you spend at the office.

Like every other company nothing is perfect ...apart from the odd negative nancy's and spending late nights in an office alone I cannot fault them.
Pros
Free lunches, gifts, staff discounts